Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CW Convoy routing of resources

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> CW Convoy routing of resources Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CW Convoy routing of resources - 3/23/2018 9:09:04 PM   
tverse

In my first turn, I have routed the resources for the CW three times (keeps going back to the same poor routing and not all my resources get to the right place): first when I set the convoys up, then again in the preliminary planning, and lastly in the final planning. Then at beginning of turn two, I see the convoys have changed again. I’m not sure what error I am making. I have watched all three tutorial videos on production planning and I am following one of those plans. I only get this for the CW convoy routing. Any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: CW Convoy routing of resources - 3/24/2018 6:24:06 AM   
paulderynck

If you have a saved game from just before preliminary production planning, you could zip it and post it here and I can take a look at it for you.

Paul

(in reply to tverse)
Post #: 2
RE: CW Convoy routing of resources - 3/24/2018 12:32:38 PM   
tverse

Thanks for the help. This file is the CW Preliminary Planning save. I corrected it so the Canadian resources are shipped through Faroes Sea area but the computer keeps sending them back through Bay of Biscay. Even when I save the corrected plan and then reopen the saved folder the computer has rerouted the resources. So this saved plan is the computer routing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: CW Convoy routing of resources - 3/24/2018 10:36:15 PM   
paulderynck

Looking at your routing instructions I suspect the program is having trouble with the bottleneck in the Caribbean. If the 3 oil from Venezuela go to Canada and the Canadian oil is saved in Canada then the 5 Canadian resources go through the East Coast but no more can be sent, even though there are 6 CPs there. (Sorry if this was more optimal when you first saved it, but I can only go by what I see on the form and what the CP counts are for the sea zones.)

You are setup to use the Trinidad oil but it is idle. If you try to use it, the program will try to send it through the Caribbean so you have to set up a default route for it through the Mouths of the Amazon and then north along the coast of Africa. To make use of all the CPs I recommend sending 1 Venezuelan oil further north via the East Coast and Faroes to be stored in the UK. (You only need 14 resources or oil to get to the UK for max production but extra oil there is always good. And it's easy to convert that instruction to produce rather than save when your production multiplier goes up in 1940.)

All the Venezuelan oil, and Canadian resources should be set as defaults with a default route through the Faroes (5 resources and one oil). I know you said you set those, but I'm not sure you set them all as all the Canadian resources are not showing in green font. Locking in all these routes as defaults should help prevent the progam from hijacking them.

Truthfully, setting routes is very 'iffey' functionally. It would be nice if it were more cooperative. It is really time consuming to start with but then you can leave it alone in future turns unless something changes.

Did you know CW oil in CW minors can be stored in a port or city in that minor? That could save you CPs, FREX Burma and Port of Spain. Then as long as there's a supply link you make them first choice to use for the Use Oil phase.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/24/2018 10:48:31 PM >

Paul

(in reply to tverse)
Post #: 4
RE: CW Convoy routing of resources - 3/25/2018 3:11:50 PM   
tverse

Paul, Thanks for looking at this. I'm fairly certain I had set the Canadian and Venezuelan resources to the green font because i remeber one of them was blue after I was done so I did its routing over again. It probably is the bottle neck the program is having sorting through the routes I set up. It might be easier to just route everything through Bay of Biscay. Again thanks for looking at the problem.

Post #: 5
RE: CW Convoy routing of resources - 3/26/2018 7:02:41 AM   
paulderynck

The program seems to "prefer" sending the Trinidad and Venezuelan oil to the UK and sending it via the Caribbean. So putting 4 CPs in the Caribbean and 9 or 10 in the East Coast might be a good way to start out. Maybe trying to "work with" the program than against it would be less frustrating.

But later on when you are trying to work around a bunch of CP losses to subs, it could become frustrating again.

Paul

(in reply to tverse)
Post #: 6
RE: CW Convoy routing of resources - 4/2/2018 4:19:10 PM   
4personalbusiness

MEA CULPA! It's taken me two years to get the CW convoys to do my bidding. I bitched about it for a long time and perhaps it could be easier. But, I have to admit to Steve and everyone else that there are tools and techniques in the existing program that can subdue all the convoy gremlins that have been vexing me (and many others) for a long time. I'll leave it to the mavens to debate whether it should be "easier" or more intuitive. But, at least take some comfort in the sure and certain knowledge that it can be done if you spend perhaps 200 hours staring and the screen and randomly hitting buttons until the "Eureka!" moment comes. Pete

PS. Please don't ask me how I did this or to explain any of the techniques used. I'm sorry. But I'm suffering from convoy chain PTSD and any attempt to explain will result in me flinging myself out of my second floor window, which simply isn't isn't high enough.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> CW Convoy routing of resources Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI