Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/1/2018 8:11:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szilard

Operation Half-A-League?

Operation Let's-Be-Beastly?

warspite1

- half a league sounds appropriate

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 781
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/1/2018 8:30:10 AM   
warspite1

Turn 171
6th May 1942

I want to expand the breach yet further but I really don't like the predictions being given. I then decide to hold fire in the east but to continue the attack in the west. This way I at least get the support of 5 artillery regiments.

Sadly this was an attack too far - the Germans bring in a panzer battalion to ensure the hex ownership does not change....

So to gain three pieces of sand I lost way more than the enemy. I guess when the computer says the attack is excellent it means for the enemy....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/1/2018 8:49:06 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 782
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/2/2018 6:05:38 AM   
warspite1

Turn 172 - Axis Turn (in real time)
9th May 1942

The turn starts with lots of reinforcement in the Mersa Matruh area

Then the enemy start moving along the coast, retreat an AA unit, then another to the south, then the third and fourth.

A ton of artillery as per usual fills the second row – and others – and now the front row too. This will be a big attack

More reinforcements are coming up all the way back to the Jebel and all points along the coast

The bombardments start – there are a hell of a lot of them, particularly – but not limited to, the coastal plain

I see more artillery now, heading south

This is a general advance – there are probes south of Quattara too

A battalion of South Africans is wiped from the OOB by the shelling (with this amount of artillery there is simply no need to attack) but of course attacks will come….

The Axis (Germans particularly) really stuffing the front line now and an attack is launched on El Hammam. Three more CW units evaporate

More enemy move up and the bombardments recommence

A Hurricane squadron evaporates

The shelling intensifies – in the south and the north

The fighters lost were those reorganising at El-Hamman airfield. The turn was bad - the South Africans permanently lost, too much artillery lost too. But while bad it was not quite as bad as I feared this time

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/2/2018 6:29:44 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 783
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/2/2018 6:33:11 AM   
warspite1

Turn 172
9th May 1942

You couldn't make it up There's a first. ALL six Wellington squadrons decide en masse, in a wonderful display of brotherly solidarity, to reorganise... oh and the they take a Boston squadron with them too. So I'm trying to launch an offensive and I lose just shy of 50% of my bomber force.... great.

So the offensive needs to be postponed but I will try and fight for El Hammam if I can.

I also need to decide what to do about the southern front, where two very powerful panzer-led formations have built up on the southeastern slopes of the mountains

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/2/2018 8:12:31 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 784
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/2/2018 6:50:51 AM   
warspite1

Turn 172
9th May 1942

The probes south of Quattara did not amount to anything more at this stage, but there are forces south of the main position (exact size and make-up unknown) threatening the back door to Cairo. I can only afford company-sized units as temporary road blocks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 785
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/2/2018 7:38:48 AM   
warspite1

Turn 172
9th May 1942

So with too few aircraft I limit myself to try and make the defenders of El Hamman feel less than comfortable with their new surroundings. I also give some attention to the large panzer columns in the south. These take up three rounds and I then decide to withdraw my precious artillery before the turn ends. There is no chance of a successful attack on El-Hammam. I would simply lose more units and then those units - in over-sized stacks - would be ripe for pummelling into the ground next turn.

Meanwhile in the south. With the panzers lurking, I decide to withdraw from the salient created last turn but sadly some bad terrain has meant that an infantry battalion, two AT batteries and a similar number of AA batteries are stuck out on their own. I've given them orders that will hopefully allow them to retreat - but I suspect they will just be ground into dust by enemy artillery instead...

I've no idea what the enemy replacement rates are like but that wasn't too shabby. Unfortunately apart from a self propelled gun, there was no damage to any panzers... The CW lost 4 rifle squads, 2 field guns and other odds and ends to counter-fire

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/2/2018 8:14:56 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 786
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/2/2018 12:46:34 PM   
warspite1

Turn 173 - Axis Turn (in real time)
13th May 1942

The turn starts with 345 invisible moves and then the sound of aircraft from the Jebel area - and that's a new one - aircraft (Ju-88D) from Crete too.

Then its my old friends the Axis artillery moving along the coast road near Sidi Barani...

Artillery and panzers move up to the front along the coast road and an RAF base unit evaporates - artillery now threatening my main airfields - I hope I haven't mis-judged this

Looks like I have - loads more artillery moving in - that's more aircraft dead.

Bombardments start up in the south now and then all along the line a South African AA retreats and the Axis move in south of the coast road - I don't know what happened to the unit it was with? More retreats just to the south and more German units moving up. The bombardments then start up again.

The AA in the centre retreats now - this is a big attack

A South African battalion retreats - I can't see where yet - ah its along the coast and then more artillery move in

More land unit too - its just metronomic and there is no answer for it - the bombardments commence once again

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/2/2018 1:02:58 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 787
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/2/2018 1:24:45 PM   
warspite1

Turn 173
13th May 1942

My fears are once again realised. Any counter-attack is severely compromised by the 4th Indian Division deciding to reorganise. Playing the Commonwealth is such a joy.

Next turn Amiriya airfield is put out of use. Game over (although to be fair with the move bombardment move attack bombardment cycle that devoncop is employing that is probably the case regardless of what I do) - and he still have his bonus to come starting on turn 77.

So, 4th Indian and various aircraft on reorganising notwithstanding, its kitchen sink time.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/3/2018 6:17:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 788
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/3/2018 7:22:26 PM   
warspite1

Turn 173
13th May 1942

The Commonwealth launch 3 attacks. The first is in the south where the 5th Indian and 50th Infantry Divisions - supported by elements of 7th Armoured and 1st Army Tank Brigade - attack a German infantry regiment and a company of Bersaglieri. The Italians retreat but, as expected, the Germans hold their ground.

Then the action switches to the north and an attack by elements of the two Free French Brigades, supported by the tanks of 1st and 10th Armoured Divisions. The assault, south of the coastal road sees a German regiment retreat and two Italian infantry companies evaporate.

To the south the tanks of 2nd Armoured and 32nd Army Tank Brigade give support to the South Africans (elements of 1st and 2nd Divisions) and the Indians of 10th Indian Division. A German MG battalion and HQ retreat, while an Italian infantry HQ and a German infantry company are evaporated.

The air war remains very difficult to understand or rationalise. The CW continue to get beaten despite the numerous advantages they have due to proximity of air fields.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/3/2018 8:32:15 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 789
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/3/2018 8:53:45 PM   
warspite1

Turn 173
13th May 1942

For the next round I limit the attacks to two in the hope that I get a final (or better) round. I decide to proceed with a 'very poor' attack on the basis that I don't understand the prediction. The CW massively outnumber two Italian infantry units and have tanks, artillery and infantry. I decide to cross fingers and see what happens.

In the north a panzer battalion comes to the rescue and holds ground for the Axis but I am losing patience with the whole air war thing. The RAF just get creamed once again. Bit the CR.42 biplane remains pretty bullet proof... The losses are pretty horrendous generally, but nothing compared to the losses incurred in trying to defeat two weak Italian infantry battalions in the second attack One Italian battalion holds its ground against my especially-picked-for-the-operation Matilda II tanks....

Well I've gone all out and so there is no backing out now. The air force is shot but I'm not retreating from Amiriya - they might as well be destroyed on the ground for all the use they are in the air. Pretty much all artillery is stacked in only a couple of hexes but there is no room for anything else.

I go for 8 assaults all along the line.

Attack 1 in the extreme south of the line is a total failure and costs three times the casualties as those of the Italian infantry.

In the north a Free French Brigade evaporates and although most of the Axis units retreat, one (as always) is on hand to stop any advance....

The third attack in the centre of the line sums up the hopelessness of the CW situation, losing 111 infantry and SMG squads, 30 tanks and other equipment and causing less than 20 infantry squad losses to the enemy.

Its a similar story - but even worse - to the south where 151 squad losses compare with 30 of the enemy.

The second attack in the centre sees the heroic Italian infantry battalion evaporate

The third northern most attack sees the German retreat - although the CW losses are 4 times higher and only 1 battalion advances in this ignore losses attack.

To the south of that the enemy retreats again - although the program thought is sensible to advance with one HAA units and an air base unit. No idea what that is all about.

The final engagement takes place in the north - just south of the coast road and the Axis easily hold the position.

Time to tot up the scores on the doors

I think it fair to say the numbers speak for themselves

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/3/2018 10:15:38 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 790
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 6:52:51 AM   
700851McCall

What is your airshock percentage compared to the enemy's? I'm guessing there is quite a big difference which accounts for the poor performance of your airforce. Likewise with your ground troops. You don't really want to be attacking until Monty arrives and your shock level increases.

I appreciate that in the current situation you have little option, but I think most of your woes are due to not taking that into account. It makes a big difference to the combat outcomes.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 791
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 8:15:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 700851McCall

What is your airshock percentage compared to the enemy's? I'm guessing there is quite a big difference which accounts for the poor performance of your airforce. Likewise with your ground troops. You don't really want to be attacking until Monty arrives and your shock level increases.

I appreciate that in the current situation you have little option, but I think most of your woes are due to not taking that into account. It makes a big difference to the combat outcomes.
warspite1

The current bonuses are as follows:

CW Theatre reconnaissance capability is 0%

The 4% shock level penalty/bonus still remain in place - 96% CW and 104% Axis

- The 4% Commonwealth Shock Penalty lasts until Turn 185 (The Auk)
- At that time recon goes to 5%

- The 4% Axis Shock Bonus lasts until Turn 201 (Monty)
- At that time recon goes to 15%

AIR
The Axis air force get an (unspecified in the scenario briefing) air bonus between 177-181. We are on Turn 174.

So yes, I have taken into account the above. There is currently no air bonus for the Axis. I should have the advantage here given the massive number of aircraft that I've based at Amiriya - and indeed this is borne out by the nos. of aircraft that fly whereby generally I have more (and overall better quality). But the story is always the same. I husband my air units so that I have good nos. readiness, proficiency and supply. They also have the benefit of proximity. Then, the first time they fly they get shot out of the sky, many immediately go into reorganisation and then in the Axis turn the remainder are mopped up. Every time.

Land
You said:
quote:

You don't really want to be attacking until Monty arrives and your shock level increases.

If I don't do anything attack-wise then long before Monty arrives the Germans will be in Cairo. The monumental number of Axis artillery makes a dig-in and stand impossible. Without attacking in many cases (as you can see from previous posts) the enemy are gaining roughly one hex line per turn without even needing to attack. Just bombard and evaporate. Just like at Tobruk so the same everywhere since; if the CW stand then they die in their trenches. The CW can attack the Axis front screen to try and get to the artillery and.... well you've just seen what happens. When two weak Italian infantry battalions can easily repulse an a massed combined arms attack of infantry, tanks and artillery then there is little hope for the CW making headway against panzer battalions - let alone reaching the artillery that is causing all the grief.

You (rightly) added
quote:

I appreciate that in the current situation you have little option
so I am not really sure what you are saying I should do here. You said
quote:

but I think most of your woes are due to not taking that into account. It makes a big difference to the combat outcomes.
As shown, I've taken this into account... but I've still got to do something - as you recognise. The fact there are shock bonuses and penalties does not mean attacks can't be made (as per my successfully driving the Axis back earlier in the game - before losing the Kiwis and most of 7th Armoured to withdrawal). The trouble is that tactic is no longer possible. The Axis appears to be able to bombard turn after turn. The CW artillery very quickly turns to red even though I'm practically in the Delta and so supply shouldn't be so much of an issue. Then when you have panzer battalions operating in the interior of the Sahara....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/4/2018 8:18:44 AM >

(in reply to 700851McCall)
Post #: 792
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 8:27:38 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174 - Axis Turn
16th May 1942

Sadly its more of exactly the same. I lose two more aircraft squadrons to evaporation - and a ton of bombers. This presumably is to do with interdiction (these do not appear to be part of the land combat actions) despite the interdiction range meaning that only those German units on the coast could be interdicted and they would then be in range of all my fighters. However I can't be certain what happened because the program doesn't tell me anything about the whole interdiction phase . [PLEASE game designers you really need to fix this].

Two Free French battalions and a South African simply evaporated along with a few AA units. This was not the result of attacks - just bombardments alone.

A large number of CW units have now gone into reorganisation too.....

Losses for that turn (this does not include the results of the interdiction. According to the air briefing the CW lost another 46 aircraft that Axis turn).

That's another 174 infantry squads, 30 tanks and 51 artillery pieces and the Axis made not one single land attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/4/2018 8:34:07 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 793
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 8:35:57 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

Before deciding on the next step I best have a look at what this last couple of turn have done to nos..... for those of a Commonwealth persuasion look away now......

INFANTRY + SMALL ARMS

That's a lot of infantry lost....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/4/2018 8:51:56 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 794
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 8:52:38 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

Artillery

The AT and, in particular, the AA pieces have reduced as expected. Interestingly the field gun situation has actually improved. In the last couple of turns I received an artillery regiment for the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade and also for the 10th Armoured Division. These must account for the increase because (as seen in the posts above) the 25-pounders have taken something of a hit and there are only 5 replacements per turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/4/2018 9:06:57 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 795
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 9:32:23 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

Tanks

In 5 turns there is a net loss of 122 tanks including the elimination of 2 regiments of the 10th Armoured Division (this despite the reinforcement of an HQ and two regiments). One shows as coming back later, the other as eliminated (presumably permanently). The 10th Armoured is effectively just one brigade now - 2 HQ but only 3 regiments.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/4/2018 10:20:29 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 796
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 9:44:17 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

Aircraft

A net 140 aircraft lost that turn alone (despite a new squadron coming in so the actual loss was considerably worse). I guess on turns 177-181 the RAF and co should just simply fly to Aden or somewhere....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 797
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 9:50:40 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

The situation is as below. From what I can see 1st Armoured, 22nd Armoured Brigade and 32nd Army Tank Brigade are all reorganising along with 8 squadrons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 798
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/4/2018 5:19:57 PM   
700851McCall

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 700851McCall

warspite1

The current bonuses are as follows:

CW Theatre reconnaissance capability is 0%

The 4% shock level penalty/bonus still remain in place - 96% CW and 104% Axis

- The 4% Commonwealth Shock Penalty lasts until Turn 185 (The Auk)
- At that time recon goes to 5%

- The 4% Axis Shock Bonus lasts until Turn 201 (Monty)
- At that time recon goes to 15%

AIR
The Axis air force get an (unspecified in the scenario briefing) air bonus between 177-181. We are on Turn 174.

So yes, I have taken into account the above. There is currently no air bonus for the Axis. I should have the advantage here given the massive number of aircraft that I've based at Amiriya - and indeed this is borne out by the nos. of aircraft that fly whereby generally I have more (and overall better quality). But the story is always the same. I husband my air units so that I have good nos. readiness, proficiency and supply. They also have the benefit of proximity. Then, the first time they fly they get shot out of the sky, many immediately go into reorganisation and then in the Axis turn the remainder are mopped up. Every time.

Land
You said:
quote:

You don't really want to be attacking until Monty arrives and your shock level increases.

If I don't do anything attack-wise then long before Monty arrives the Germans will be in Cairo. The monumental number of Axis artillery makes a dig-in and stand impossible. Without attacking in many cases (as you can see from previous posts) the enemy are gaining roughly one hex line per turn without even needing to attack. Just bombard and evaporate. Just like at Tobruk so the same everywhere since; if the CW stand then they die in their trenches. The CW can attack the Axis front screen to try and get to the artillery and.... well you've just seen what happens. When two weak Italian infantry battalions can easily repulse an a massed combined arms attack of infantry, tanks and artillery then there is little hope for the CW making headway against panzer battalions - let alone reaching the artillery that is causing all the grief.

You (rightly) added
quote:

I appreciate that in the current situation you have little option
so I am not really sure what you are saying I should do here. You said
quote:

but I think most of your woes are due to not taking that into account. It makes a big difference to the combat outcomes.
As shown, I've taken this into account... but I've still got to do something - as you recognise. The fact there are shock bonuses and penalties does not mean attacks can't be made (as per my successfully driving the Axis back earlier in the game - before losing the Kiwis and most of 7th Armoured to withdrawal). The trouble is that tactic is no longer possible. The Axis appears to be able to bombard turn after turn. The CW artillery very quickly turns to red even though I'm practically in the Delta and so supply shouldn't be so much of an issue. Then when you have panzer battalions operating in the interior of the Sahara....

Ah well I just don't know then. I've played this one as both sides against the PO, easy victory as both sides but it is a tough situation for the PO to handle so not that surprising. I'd get my ass handed to me against a human opponent.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/4/2018 5:20:19 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 799
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 2:22:33 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

For all the reasons mentioned previously I have no choice but to carry on with the attack. With the effects of bombardment alone I have simply run out of units to defend the road to Alexandria.

Matters are not helped by the fact that Alexandria is unusable as an airbase as all the RN (nine ships) are there and I've not been able to move them since El-Alamein fell. This means nothing else can stack in that hex

With Amiriya in artillery range and no more airbases locally, I start to move my unreorganising bombers to distant airfields. The state of the air forces - after one turn (Axis and Allies) of flying is dire. Of those not reorganising, that one turn seems to have made them unfit for operations. Proficiency (typically less than 60%) and readiness (slightly higher) has just dropped off a cliff. I have no choice but to keep them out of the way. When they are in good shape, in good numbers and close proximity to the action they get creamed. One can only guess (three guesses not required) what would happen if they fly in the state they are in.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/5/2018 2:49:40 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 800
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 3:40:05 AM   
warspite1

Turn 174
16th May 1942

So for the reasons stated above the offensive has to continue. Four hexes are targeted for bombardment with a view to an attack on three if the turn continues - two in the north, one in the centre and one in the south.

The turn does continue and there was bit of a bonus as an Italian motorised battalion from the Trento Division evaporates - leaving one German infantry battalion in that hex.

I continue the bombardments against three of the hexes and launch my attack against the lone German motorised infantry battalion south of the railway line on the coastal plain.

The next round sees two attacks. I continue the bombardments in the south and centre but attack in the north at El Hammam and to the south east. The assaults see the Axis pushed back from the airfield, while to the south the Axis forces are also sent into retreat along the eastern end of the Alam Halfa Ridge.

I finish off the turn with two attacks - one in the north and another in the centre where I had previously been bombarding to try and weaken the defenders. Unfortunately I can't take a picture as its end of turn, but the Axis forces held and inflicted large scale losses in the north. In the centre the Axis held but some units were forced into retreat.

In the absence of a picture of the front I will show the losses for that turn. Once again it won't make good reading for the Commonwealth forces but there should be some reasonable damage inflicted on the enemy this time too....(I hope)....

Another punishing turn for the CW - and it will get worse as a tank regiment and AT battery are out on their own, plus a lot of stacks are necessarily over-stacked (to allow for attacking) and so will be punished by artillery fire). But on a positive note the losses were more even this time and I even managed to bag a few panzers (note self propelled guns are included in tanks and so not all of the Axis tanks will be tanks, but the majority of those 63 will be panzers or Italian tanks).

Oddly - considering ALL my fighters and bombers were at rest with 0 range - there was an air battle....No idea how that was even possible, but at least normality was restored with the result and the CW losing more than double the aircraft Even if I don't fly - and have no range to fly, the program gets those CW aircraft somehow

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/5/2018 4:41:40 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 801
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 5:59:02 AM   
warspite1

Turn 175 - Axis Turn (in real time)
20th May 1942

The first 450+ moves are taken up with reinforcements moving in the Tobruk area

Then a number of aircraft rebases are made closer to the front - including the 'Hurricane Killer' the vaunted CR-42....

Then the action turns to the western front

The bombardments start in the north and centre of the front - a Hurricane evaporates. I assume this is one of the reorganising squadrons stuck at Amiriya??? and another one??

A FF battalion evaporates - as does a South African AT

Units switch from the south to the north - there is obviously a big attack to come here

Then more bombardments in the north...

...and now the south

An AT unit evaporates as does an entire battalion of motorised infantry from 2nd Armoured Division

Lots of movement in the hills in the south now

More reinforcements moving up around Tobruk

More bombardments - from the area I think this is targeting my artillery

An air base unit evaporates

Yet another battalion of infantry evaporates

Yet more bombardment - how many is this now?

Another AT unit evaporates

A battalion of Coldstream Guards evaporates - this is faintly ridiculous

A battalion of the Essex Regiment evaporates

Yet another AT battery evaporates

The Axis forces attack the airfield at El Hammam and the CW retreat

Another AT evaporates

An HAA evaporates

And that brings the turn to a close. Bombardment % of up to 42%, at least one aircraft squadron, at least 5 battalions of infantry, and numerous AA and AT units all evaporated - and only one attack was launched......right.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/5/2018 6:17:49 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 802
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 6:13:31 PM   
warspite1

Turn 175 - Axis Turn
20th May 1942

The butchers bill....

303 infantry squads destroyed..... 4 as a result of land combat....

But these are just numbers. The plain fact is that if devoncop could see what I have left then he would just march onto Cairo. He has many stacks of 9 units per stack full of infantry, armour and artillery while my 'divisions' have all but ceased to exist.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/5/2018 6:22:41 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 803
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 7:00:25 PM   
warspite1

Turn 175
20th May 1942

There are no reserves left - what is engaged is all there is.

I dispense with the bombardment round and simply go straight to the two assaults - against El Hammam in the north and the usual target in the centre. Both are backed up with all the artillery that can be mustered.

In both cases the enemy retreats. With no thought for the consequences the Commonwealth forces press ahead.

In the north the German and Italians are pushed back on to the coastal road, while in the centre a flak units holds position but is then despatched prior to combat.

There is only one combat in round 5 as an attack is launched with all artillery in support against the Axis units that have just retreated to the coast. The lack of AT guns could be crucial here.

The Germans suffer serious losses including the loss of a panzer battalion.

The final round sees two attacks. Although the prediction is poor, the fact that the Axis units can't retreat with their backs to the coast makes this an attack I have to go for. The second one, south of the Alam Halfa Ridge, is more risky, but I have 4 regiments of artillery support and so I decide to risk it..... but then I don't and I pull out....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/5/2018 8:07:58 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 804
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 8:10:41 PM   
warspite1

Turn 175
20th May 1942

But I proceed with this northern attack and this pays off as the tanks of what remains of 10th Armoured reach the coast and wipe out the defenders holding the coast road.

For El Hammam read Gumrak.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/5/2018 8:42:19 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 805
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 8:40:05 PM   
warspite1

Turn 175
20th May 1942

For the first time in a looooong time the Commonwealth get the overall better of the engagements where land combat is involved.

It's fair to say the losses - particularly in tanks - is serious but in all categories the Axis losses were greater and the amount of artillery pieces lost is very encouraging. I just hope its not too little too late....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 806
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/5/2018 9:13:07 PM   
Zorch

remember Foch - "My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 807
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/6/2018 5:01:56 PM   
warspite1

Turn 176 - Axis Turn (in real time)
23rd May 1942

The turn starts with some of the Axis forces on the coast road falling back – but I can’t see how far and it doesn’t appear to be all of them.

To the rear some artillery are moving west and some east – those moving west I can’t tell If they are some of the units previously retreated

There is some Italian reinforcement in the centre and then the action moves to Mersah Matruh and more reinforcements. These include panzer forces, Ariete tanks and Bersaglieri

More reinforcements – this time from further back in the Jebel

The dreaded bombarding then begins – an attack on the exposed CW units southwest of El Hammam seems to be in the offing

Then more reinforcement of the centre and south before the barrages begin once again. These are all along the line…..

…and there are a lot of them………

…and still they continue…..

A Royal Horse Artillery regiment evaporates

A French artillery regiment does the same

A look at the losses shows the extent of the disaster that greets the CW armies. The army's artillery has been annihilated (although at least the Axis lost 44 field guns to counter fire).... In return the Axis lost 19 bombers (5 destroyed).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/6/2018 5:02:10 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 808
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/6/2018 5:21:27 PM   
warspite1

Turn 176
23rd May 1942

The news just gets worse. The number of tanks available is well below a 1,000 and another 3 regiments have disappeared from the order of battle.

The entire 8th Army has less than 100 anti-tank guns and just 317 field guns...

The news continues to hit GHQ like big thick slabs of concrete - right in the face. The 10th Armoured go into reorganisation....

Not for the first time I don't know what to do!

One of the big problems is that I don't know the level of the German air bonus. Thanks to the battles won in the last couple of turns the Axis artillery threat to Amiriya has reduced - at least for the time being. So do I bring my aircraft back or try and sit out the bonus???

To be honest, if the proficiency and readiness rates are half decent, then I don't think I have much choice.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/6/2018 7:02:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 809
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/7/2018 6:36:50 AM   
warspite1

Turn 176
23rd May 1942

Well I've slept on it and....I'm still none the wiser

But I think one thing is becoming clear. I have to try and help the units stuck out in the desert. They have enough problems with the artillery let alone the Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica.

So the plan will be to fill the airfields at Amiriya and then we'll see about turns 177-181 (and the Axis air bonus) at that time.

I start the turn with four bombardments - one below the Depression, one in the south and the other two in the north. I have moved away from the coastal plain and am concentrating on the units east of the Alam Halfa Ridge. All guns and bombers have been vectored on this one hex....

The Axis forces retreat but disaster strikes.... I fail a proficiency check.....Oh dear - that is serious.

Quelle surprise! The Commonwealth bend over and take it from behind in the air once more. Good job the Italians had 114 of their vaunted biplanes on hand eh?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/7/2018 8:11:12 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI