Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Tigers Progress?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Steel Tigers Progress? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/11/2018 2:37:17 PM   
Jugger

Coming up to almost two years since the announcement of "Steel Tigers" any news yet?
Post #: 1
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/11/2018 3:08:45 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Development is ongoing. We will show more once we are in a better place to do so. I appreciate that the wait can be tough for those anticipating it!

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 2
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/11/2018 3:15:13 PM   
IainMcNeil

Not as tough as on those developing it though :)

Its a very big complex game with lots of moving parts and the UI has a host of niggly things that need to work in better ways than games used to back in the day.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/11/2018 3:45:49 PM   
Jugger

Thanks Iain I appreciate the feedback as well as the efforts of the team.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 4
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/11/2018 4:01:59 PM   
rico21

Thanks for the news, well, salute, to next year!

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 5
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/11/2018 6:14:53 PM   
Kuokkanen

Recently many games are accused of being only partially done when they are released (Mass Effect: Andromeda and Kingdom Come: Deliverance come to mind). Please take your time to get it done right on the first time.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 6
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/12/2018 1:29:18 AM   
wodin

Doubt we will see it before end 2019.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 7
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/12/2018 11:18:49 AM   
Hexagon

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Doubt we will see it before end 2019.

Well, the question is see it

http://d36itbwqixpc4t.cloudfront.net/assets/blog/img/alejandro-s-thoughts-of-a-blind-man-is-a-great-hit-on-soundcloud.jpg?v=1
The positive point is that the units from Panzer Korps looks great for Steel Tigers... and if we can decide see in pure 3D or in 2D great with that quality in units.

But is true that years pass and Steel Tigers is in same "Olympus" far from our mortal hands.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 4/12/2018 11:19:36 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 6:31:03 AM   
hellfish6

I don't want a 3D Steel Tigers. I'd love just a remake of the classic for modern systems/updated UI. Gimme back my dynamic campaigns, and I'll buy every goddamn DLC you throw at me.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 9
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 8:16:31 AM   
Hexagon

I dont have problem with 3D... specially if we have top down view option (like new CC offers), play in 3D or in 2D as you prefer is better than solo one mode apart that if we have great 3D models we are going to have great 2D models.

I see worst Steel Panthers enter in the "land of the DLC", a ton of pay content that kill the feeling around original game, see Campaigns... is going to have 3 parts to cover east front, add at least another 3 for west... pay 6 times to have same you had in a single title... not a great incentive to buy when is released, i can accept buy Steel Panthers East and SP West for example (Pacific looks like the last option) but under this for me simple is to much DLC because to have all you need wait a lot of pay a lot to.

I dont dislike DLC system at all (FOGII) but problem is that many times is more designed to milk over improve game quality, for example FOGII DLCs are for my taste WORST than the old FOG DLCs.

Anyway ST is still far from us, not a single piece of real info and a lot less nothing to show... even game lacks a forum area.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 4/15/2018 8:17:35 AM >

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 10
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 1:47:09 PM   
Capitaine

3D is awesome and preferable if done well. Don't be Luddites.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 11
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 4:10:53 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

I see worst Steel Panthers enter in the "land of the DLC"

Youth these days, complaining about DLC. In my youth we had to go all the way to town, and buy the DLC from store on CD or floppy disk. And many of them cost 2/3 (individually) of the game itself.

Though in case of Steel Panthers, many DLC equivalents (scenarios & campaigns) may have been much cheaper than that and had an option of delivery by mail. That's the way I got mine. On floppy disks.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 4/15/2018 4:14:27 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 12
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 5:31:01 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

I dont have problem with 3D....

That depends on the 3D. A well made 2D game is better than a poorly made 3D game.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 13
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 5:31:33 PM   
MrsWargamer

I don't mind a company making money off a well-made game.

Emphasis on 'well made'.

I did, after all, buy most of ASL. I'm not afraid of buying what I want.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 14
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/15/2018 8:39:02 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I don't mind a company making money off a well-made game.

Emphasis on 'well made'.

You said it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 15
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/16/2018 9:19:52 AM   
Hexagon

I was youth when buy "Steel Panthers", the original, and games rare times needed buy something "basic" like today... find a good, even a decent, base game today is very rare because games are "chopped" to hell lacking basic things for base game, many games are released thinking in sell a ton of DLCs over sell the base game and well, a failed release usually means no DLCs and finish with a promising game short and imcomplete.

I dont have problems with DLCs at all IF they are EXPANSIONS and not simple "lets complete our incomplete base game with basic content", for example i can accept pay for West/East/Pacific Steel Tigers but chop more and maybe try sell game front by front, year by year is a big

I prefer a good 2D over a bad 3D but if you see the images of "Panzer Korps 2" 3D units are really good and if we can have a engine where you can choose play in 3D or in 2D better to expand player base... but i need say that i really like a lot NWS naval games and well, they are using windows95 graphics

PD: Steel panthers campaign disk was a bonus, not a necesary thing you need buy to enjoy the game because you had ALL in base game... unlike today games that force you buy a DLC to have a basic thing for game... imagine classic Steel Panthers with no Panther tanks that you needed buy in a disk expansion

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 16
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/16/2018 6:27:21 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

I was youth when buy "Steel Panthers", the original, and games rare times needed buy something "basic" like today... find a good, even a decent, base game today is very rare because games are "chopped" to hell lacking basic things for base game, many games are released thinking in sell a ton of DLCs over sell the base game and well, a failed release usually means no DLCs and finish with a promising game short and imcomplete.

I dont have problems with DLCs at all IF they are EXPANSIONS and not simple "lets complete our incomplete base game with basic content"

Many (at least some) such games are in scale well beyond of the games made in last millennium. Developers may run out of the money and face a choice of either kill the game or release it incomplete and hope the game sells well enough to fund its completion in form of patches and DLC. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is an example of such game: many years in development, released in last February, is plagued by bugs, lacks a number of features (crossbows), got accused with untrue made up BS almost nobody believes, and sold over million copies in 2 weeks. I strongly suspect game was released in this state because developers ran out of the money and they needed something to sell in order to stay afloat. Developers have promised to fix the bugs and deliver missing features with patches (and maybe DLC). But how many % of the games are like this?

Steam alone gets several new games in a day. How many games are in scope of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, or even Field of Glory II? I make a guess average game on Steam is closer to Faster Than Light. I don't see any DLC for it. More recent game from the same developers is Into the Breach. I don't expect that game to get much (if any) in the way of DLC. There are games that are complete on release that don't need much (if any) patching and don't get DLCs either.

[edit]
I counted game releases on Steam. Yesterday (Sunday) Steam got handful of new games available for sale (and number of "coming soon"). But day before (Saturday) there are 11 new games available for sale. I dare to claim less than half of those will have any DLC, and some may not even need it at all. Big fuss is made out of the small % of the games and great majority are ignored or otherwise overlooked. Just look at the turn based war games.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 4/16/2018 6:39:26 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 17
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/16/2018 6:46:49 PM   
Hexagon

The problem today is that games are released in a status between "i want shout" and "i want kill somebody" and is not a great help deal with a poor release status+problems with game content like a recent game covering battles in Battle of France+Battle of Britain period without french planes

I had my first PC wargame in... 1996 and enter in Steel Panthers in 1998 and today i dont find a similar game closer to it out of Win versions of SP of course is Close Combat and Tiller games but in tactical area i never revive that SP battles feelings.

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact that you're dealing with an expert in wargames, with a man who's the best! With strategical, with operational, with his bare tactical games! A man who's been trained to ignore graphics! To ignore bugs! To live off the beta versions! To play things that would make a billy goat puke! In Vietnam his job was to dispose of not updated engines... to kill, period! Win by not using cheats... well the wargamer was THE BEST!"

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 18
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/17/2018 7:30:04 PM   
Falcon1

LOL you guys, stop standing around like kids with your noses pressed against the candy store window :)

Keep busy with SP:WaW and TOAWIV until the next cool game comes out.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 19
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/18/2018 3:50:33 AM   
wodin

Couldn't agree more. Infact there is no need at all for 2D not to look fantastic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

I dont have problem with 3D....

That depends on the 3D. A well made 2D game is better than a poorly made 3D game.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 20
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/18/2018 10:11:34 AM   
MrsWargamer

3d is a gimmick the same way CGI is a gimmick.

Even well-done 3d is a gimmick. Frankly, I'm tired of game makers thinking 3d makes a game better.

What makes a good game good is a well thought out design, a well-done execution and not a reliance on gimmicks.

Steel Panthers is a great game. Notice I wrote that as present tense. It still is good. It was that well made.

Steel Tigers is an as yet unproven product. And don't think for a second, that it can't arrive and after all the effort put into it, it can't roll over and die like a useless turd of a game.

Calling it the 'successor' to Steel Panthers is not going to give it a free pass. It will be like every sequel. It might arrive, and after it's opening release, become an embarrassment that everyone simply seeks to deny ever happened.

Or it might truly become legendary.

Steel Panthers is to wargamers, an iconic title. Steel Tigers will have a hard time living up to that. Fans can be cruel.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/18/2018 12:06:22 PM   
Zap

I'm hoping they don't decide to use large graphics(tanks and such)like we see in panzer corps. Nothing disproportionate to the terrain. That would make me sick to my stomach.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 22
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/18/2018 1:34:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

I will take all the concern here as a good sign as far as interest in Steel Tigers. I know there are a lot of expectations, and I can't discuss specifics yet, but our aim is to make sure we deliver a new SP that can be with us for the next 10+ years. Quite a lot of our resources are going into this and the game is being worked on by some of the same folks who worked on the original SP and on SPWAW. Our current plan is to start involving the community as soon as we get to alpha and make sure we incorporate community feedback and allow enough time for iterations based on that before we get to beta and release.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 23
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/18/2018 2:21:16 PM   
rico21

Fans can be cruel.
More than beta testers?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 24
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/18/2018 5:18:34 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I will take all the concern here as a good sign as far as interest in Steel Tigers. I know there are a lot of expectations, and I can't discuss specifics yet, but our aim is to make sure we deliver a new SP that can be with us for the next 10+ years. Quite a lot of our resources are going into this and the game is being worked on by some of the same folks who worked on the original SP and on SPWAW. Our current plan is to start involving the community as soon as we get to alpha and make sure we incorporate community feedback and allow enough time for iterations based on that before we get to beta and release.

If end result is Battle Academy with hexes, little more detail and complexity (number of statistics closer or equal to SPWAW and WinSPWW2), and familiar gameplay mechanics (small arms usable against armour for suppression), I'll be happy.

MekWars

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 25
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/19/2018 1:08:44 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

I'm hoping they don't decide to use large graphics(tanks and such)like we see in panzer corps. Nothing disproportionate to the terrain. That would make me sick to my stomach.

You mean like the original Steel Panthers?

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 26
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/19/2018 2:57:39 PM   
Zap

Can you show a screen shot of an example?

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 27
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 4/19/2018 3:35:20 PM   
rico21

obviously!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 28
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 6/5/2018 9:02:56 PM   
FOARP

Every so often I load up Steel Panthers 2 for a quick blast - it still stands up very well. Best is to pitch some advanced NATO tanks (Challenger 2s or M1A1s) against much larger numbers of Warsaw Pact T-72s or T-55s and let the slaughter begin!

I hope you keep the wide scope of SP2. I'd love to see something that covers all the armoured combat right from 1918 up to 2018. It should have battles all the way from the first encounter between British Mark IVs and German A7Vs at Villers-Bretoneux in WW1 to the current war in the Ukraine. SP1 was a great game as well, but there's something liberating about all the different weapons-systems and countries you could play with in the longer time-scale of SP2.

SP3 was also worth playing but I preferred the smaller scale of SP1 and SP2, since it meant that the loss of a tank or even a single soldier felt "more important".

Graphically I'd certainly like to have an upgrade and think that 3D could work - but only if it keeps the same feel to the game, with hexes and the tension created by not knowing whether your next shot would kill the enemy. I also really hope the AI gets a lot of love.

< Message edited by FOARP -- 6/5/2018 9:14:29 PM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 29
RE: Steel Tigers Progress? - 6/6/2018 4:51:19 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

Every so often I load up Steel Panthers 2 for a quick blast - it still stands up very well. Best is to pitch some advanced NATO tanks (Challenger 2s or M1A1s) against much larger numbers of Warsaw Pact T-72s or T-55s and let the slaughter begin!

You could be interested about WinSPMBT (Windows Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank). It is heavily modified version of SP2. They have also modded SP2 for Second World War (or World War 2) and it goes by name of WinSPWW2. Matrix Games has also made its own variation of Steel Panthers called Steel Panthers World at War, though it has some performance issues with multicore processors and Windows 7.

quote:

Graphically I'd certainly like to have an upgrade and think that 3D could work - but only if it keeps the same feel to the game, with hexes and the tension created by not knowing whether your next shot would kill the enemy.

Game engine is the same as in Battle Academy series. You can look up that game for reference. Presumably Steel Tigers will have detail and complexity close to Steel Panthers series and hopefully with hexes instead of squares.

MekWars

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Steel Tigers Progress? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI