Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Another What If?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Another What If? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 1:13:13 AM   
Footslogger

Merry Christmas guys.

So in this one forum. There was a discussion that the Japanese Invasion of Midway was fool hardy, even if the Japanese
had won the carrier battle. What say Ye?

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 1:36:23 AM   
geofflambert

What would they do with Midway? Terrorize French Frigate shoals? Waylay crab boats headed for the Bering Sea? For the US, Midway is a jumping off point to nowhere. The US bypassed Truk and Kwajalein. Would you think as the Japanese that if you took Midway you would be forcing the US to take it back? Guess again.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 2:00:09 AM   
geofflambert

The "Midway Invasion" is halfway an example of Napoleon's dictum from Austerlitz. "Do not interrupt your enemy when they are destroying themselves." Napoleon was observing the Austro-Russian army in parade doing the opposite of what they should have been doing and was calming his staff. 'Just watch, then strike'. I say 'halfway' because Nimitz et al weren't watching a parade. They were still trying to figure out exactly what the Japanese were doing. They didn't know the KB would make pointless airstrikes on a target not worth the bother and by that action itself exposing themselves to destruction. Cannae, Alesia, Agincourt, Austerlitz and Midway. Attacking a land target (Midway) that isn't worth attacking at all cedes any advantage you might have thought you had. Your enemy has no land targets to attack, even if they were worth attacking. If you know or suppose you might be headed into a carrier battle, do what is appropriate for a carrier battle, and nothing else.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 2:32:35 AM   
Mundy

They didn't bring enough troops. Even had their carriers won, they probably wouldn't have beaten the defenses. The appendix in Shattered Sword discusses this pretty thoroughly.

Post #: 4
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 4:48:58 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Merry Christmas guys.

So in this one forum. There was a discussion that the Japanese Invasion of Midway was fool hardy, even if the Japanese
had won the carrier battle. What say Ye?

There were actually more defenders on Midway Island than they had in their invasion force. And the Japanese did not really have the ability or landing craft to make a landing on a well defended beach. I don't think they would have made it ashore.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 6:43:42 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The "Midway Invasion" is halfway an example of Napoleon's dictum from Austerlitz. "Do not interrupt your enemy when they are destroying themselves." Napoleon was observing the Austro-Russian army in parade doing the opposite of what they should have been doing and was calming his staff. 'Just watch, then strike'. I say 'halfway' because Nimitz et al weren't watching a parade. They were still trying to figure out exactly what the Japanese were doing. They didn't know the KB would make pointless airstrikes on a target not worth the bother and by that action itself exposing themselves to destruction. Cannae, Alesia, Agincourt, Austerlitz and Midway. Attacking a land target (Midway) that isn't worth attacking at all cedes any advantage you might have thought you had. Your enemy has no land targets to attack, even if they were worth attacking. If you know or suppose you might be headed into a carrier battle, do what is appropriate for a carrier battle, and nothing else.

Be fair now. The Japanese wanted Midway so they could extend their naval search to prevent another Doolittle raid on their home islands. Yamamoto did not want this operation but it was forced on him. He wanted to wait for Shokaku and Zuikaku before striking anywhere.
And the Japanese thought that Yorktown had been sunk at Coral Sea so they thought the chances of US carriers opposing them were slim.

It seems clear from the other posts here that the Japanese had poor intel on what they would be facing at Midway. But they did have a lot of battleship power trailing their carriers which could have been brought up to bombard.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 6
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 2:33:59 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Be fair now. The Japanese wanted Midway so they could extend their naval search to prevent another Doolittle raid on their home islands. Yamamoto did not want this operation but it was forced on him. He wanted to wait for Shokaku and Zuikaku before striking anywhere.
And the Japanese thought that Yorktown had been sunk at Coral Sea so they thought the chances of US carriers opposing them were slim.

It seems clear from the other posts here that the Japanese had poor intel on what they would be facing at Midway. But they did have a lot of battleship power trailing their carriers which could have been brought up to bombard.

Well, I think later events in the pacific showed how bombardment was not going to root out dug in defenders and by mid 42 Midway was very well fortified. Japanese ship to shore fire control was not the best either. The Allies were much better in 44 but still having trouble softening up before landing. Not to mention the tons of bombs that they were dropping at the same time. Personally, I don't think Yamamoto cared about the landings at all and was fully prepared to halt it. He was looking for the American fleet.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 3:38:27 PM   
Lecivius

This seems to be an annual conversation

1) They did not bring enough troops.
2) They did not bring enough support.
3) KB was already running low on airframes due to constant use. They did not bring enough planes.
4) They did not bring enough decks.
5) They did not train for this operation. Troops assigned had very little idea what they were being asked to do.
6) They had no intelligence on the target.
7) They had no intelligence on the forces supporting the target.

The entire operation was doomed before they ever weighed anchor. The 'miracle' was the lopsided carrier loses.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 4:20:06 PM   
Zorch

Yamamoto saw Midway as a way to force a decisive battle on the US fleet. Only in that context does it make sense.
The Japanese obsession with decisive battles did a lot to lose them the war.

How much oil/fuel did the Midway operation use, not counting the Aleutian part?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 4:44:13 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Yamamoto saw Midway as a way to force a decisive battle on the US fleet. Only in that context does it make sense.
The Japanese obsession with decisive battles did a lot to lose them the war.

How much oil/fuel did the Midway operation use, not counting the Aleutian part?

As I recall, according to Shattered Sword about a years operational supply. Totally from memory, though, and it was a hard weekend (Christmas party Friday)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 8:11:53 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The US bypassed Truk and Kwajalein.

IIRC the latter was invaded and conquered.

quote:

What would they do with Midway?

It was intended to launch further operations against the Hawaiian Islands from Midway.

quote:

1) They did not bring enough troops.

Yup.

quote:

4) They did not bring enough decks.

If you're talking about cards, maybe. They did in fact bring almost the whole Japanese Imperial Fleet, whether or not that was enough is up for question.

quote:

As I recall, according to Shattered Sword about a years operational supply.

That's what I remember too.

quote:

they probably wouldn't have beaten the defenses.

Probably not.

The whole operation was not very well conceived.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 8:28:15 PM   
Lecivius

By decks, I mean flight decks. They did not have the ability to project enough power to close the base, or defend all of the fleets involved, and/or seriously damage the infrastructure, of Midway.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 8:44:44 PM   
rustysi

They could have brought more. Combine the Zuikaku/Shokaku deck/aircrew. Canceled the Aleutian operation and bring Ryuho and any other carriers (don't recall the others right now) into the MI operation. Etc. They had the power, they just didn't concentrate it.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 9:00:47 PM   
Lecivius

To invade Tarawa, the US compiled 17 aircraft carriers 6 CVs, 5 CVLs, and 6 CVEs. And that was AFTER naval superiority had been achieved.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 10:41:18 PM   
spence

quote:

Japanese ship to shore fire control was not the best either.

Actually it didn't exist at all. There was no one assigned to actually call in fire on particular targets.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/18/2017 11:36:39 PM   
Big B

quote:

So in this one forum. There was a discussion that the Japanese Invasion of Midway was fool hardy, even if the Japanese had won the carrier battle.
What say Ye?

Well, all of the above responses are valid....but to be fair to the original question - which I take to be "what if the Japanese won the carrier battle?"

...To give the Japanese credit... IF things had gone their way (which for a myriad of reasons previously stated about the success of a landing) suppose they had taken Midway while maintaining sea-air superiority locally - what would it gain them?

HAD the battle gone the way the planners envisioned, the IJN should have dispatched Enterprise and Hornet (sunk or damaged) - leaving only Saratoga and Ranger to contend with (because they thought Yorktown and Lexington were already sunk, and must have assumed Ranger and Saratoga would be in theater somewhere)...

That would have left the IJN with a whopping 3:1 superiority in CV's after the operation, and Midway Island in their possession. Even Yamamoto would have liked that scenario to put a quick end to the Pacific War....it would have looked like a typical AE game...without foreknowledge that the US would overwhelm them quicker than they thought possible in 1942. Not a bad gamble - BUT.

But - it just didn't happen that way, and really was never likely to go that way.

I don't condemn the Japanese for trying the Midway gambit... but we have 20/20 hindsight, or at least more knowledge of what Japan was facing than the historical Japanese really did.

Given what they assumed - I don't think Midway was a poor decision on their part... they just didn't have the entire picture, I just don't blame them for trying.... not that it changes anything.

B

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/19/2017 5:09:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

They could have brought more. Combine the Zuikaku/Shokaku deck/aircrew. Canceled the Aleutian operation and bring Ryuho and any other carriers (don't recall the others right now) into the MI operation. Etc. They had the power, they just didn't concentrate it.

A fatal flaw in lots of Japanese plans from the war. Far too complicated in most cases.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/19/2017 8:23:23 PM   
spence

"what if the Japanese won the carrier battle?"

Seems to me that there is an analysis of this question on the Combined Fleet website. IIRC while delaying the USN for a bit by mid-44 it shows the IJN outnumbered in CV/CVLs and naval a/c anyways.

www.combinedfleet.com or search Nihon Kaigun

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/21/2017 4:03:14 AM   
Mike Dubost

Even if the Japanese won the battle, I don't think they could have supplied Midway in the face of a concerted US sub campaign. I forget if I've mentioned the story of my mother's aunt before.

She was in Hawaii in 1942, and many years ago was telling me some stories about her experiences. She said that the man she eventually married was so sweet, he brought her a can opener on the first date. I kind of went Huh? She explained that certain goods were in short supply due to shipping limitations, and among these were can openers. You can see a hint of this in a John Wayne movie The Sands of Iwo Jima. The John Wayne character at one point uses an attachment on his knife to open a can since the civilian he's with has a completely worn out can opener.

Now, granted, Japanese troops needed fewer tons of supply per man than US troops, but there was not a concerted effort to sink US merchantmen. I think the most likely result of an occupation of Midway would be the decimation of the Japanese merchant marine in an effort to supply them, or maybe Starvation Island would have been Midway instead of Guadalcanal.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Another What If? - 12/22/2017 1:44:56 AM   
Shark7

My question is, even if they had won the carrier battle and conquered Midway, exactly how were they planning to resupply it? By the time of Midway, they were already having major logistics issues and it was only going to get worse as time went on. Even if the US sub fleet wasn't an issue, they simply did not have the gross tonnage needed to keep the economy running and all their island outposts supplied.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: Another What If? - 4/14/2018 6:26:44 PM   
tonybot

The Japanese were outnumbered in all the initial invasions when they conquered the Pacific...you guys that are saying the Japanese couldn't take Midway need to read some history books. When taking Singapore and the Phillipines, they were out numbered at least 2 to 1. Also, I'm sure the Japanese would have used their battleships and cruisers to obliterate the Midway defenses before they tried a landing.

< Message edited by tonybot -- 4/14/2018 6:29:13 PM >

tonybot

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Another What If? - 4/14/2018 6:34:33 PM   
tonybot

Like in the Aleutians, the actual island was inconsequential, the objective was the destruction of the US carriers.

tonybot

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: Another What If? - 4/14/2018 6:44:46 PM   
tonybot

The Japanese lost the battle because they violated basic principle of concentration of force. If they had included the CVLs Zuihō & Ryūjō and the CV Jun'yō, they would have had another 100 aircraft.

tonybot

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 23
RE: OT: Another What If? - 4/14/2018 9:06:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonybot

The Japanese were outnumbered in all the initial invasions when they conquered the Pacific...you guys that are saying the Japanese couldn't take Midway need to read some history books. When taking Singapore and the Phillipines, they were out numbered at least 2 to 1. Also, I'm sure the Japanese would have used their battleships and cruisers to obliterate the Midway defenses before they tried a landing.
warspite1

I think the suggestion that anyone who does not believe the Japanese could have taken Midway is automatically guilty of not reading WWII history is a little unfair. What the Japanese achieved in the first six months of the war is not itself proof of what the force they brought to Midway might or might not have achieved.

quote:

The Japanese lost the battle because they violated basic principle of concentration of force. If they had included the CVLs Zuihō & Ryūjō and the CV Jun'yō, they would have had another 100 aircraft.

The Japanese lost the battle for a variety of reasons - lack of concentration of force could certainly be counted as one of these - but is by no means the sole reason for what happened.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to tonybot)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: Another What If? - 4/25/2018 5:57:51 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonybot

warspite1

I think the suggestion that anyone who does not believe the Japanese could have taken Midway is automatically guilty of not reading WWII history is a little unfair. What the Japanese achieved in the first six months of the war is not itself proof of what the force they brought to Midway might or might not have achieved.

quote:

The Japanese lost the battle for a variety of reasons - lack of concentration of force could certainly be counted as one of these - but is by no means the sole reason for what happened.

+1

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Another What If? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI