Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any news on a expansion for WITP?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any news on a expansion for WITP? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/14/2018 6:48:25 PM   
tonybot

I see WITE and WITW have epansions already. How could Matrix have leave out a Midway scenario in the release of this great game about the War in the Pacific?

tonybot
Post #: 1
RE: Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/14/2018 7:19:45 PM   
adarbrauner

-

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 4/15/2018 3:18:29 AM >

(in reply to tonybot)
Post #: 2
RE: Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/14/2018 7:37:53 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonybot

I see WitE and WitW have epansions already. How could Matrix have leave out a Midway scenario in the release of this great game about the War in the Pacific?

Although it is a set piece engagement like Coral Sea, this game does not lend itself very well to a Midway scenario. Some have tried with little success.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to tonybot)
Post #: 3
RE: Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/14/2018 9:18:08 PM   
tonybot

Oh, I see. I remember PacWar having a Coral Sea/Midway scenario where the AI always ended up sending the Midway strike force into the Coral Sea for some reason.

tonybot

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/14/2018 9:31:29 PM   
Korvar

Hindsight sort of kills the whole Midway scenario anyway - at least against human opponents. A 'Midway-like' situation usually occurs in a grand campaign though - at some point there is a 'reckoning' where carrier forces trade blows to see who will claim Naval superiority moving forward.

In my current GC against the AI, a British battleship task force rushed and intercepted the Kaga and Akagi, sinking both in a night engagement (whereas it was the Shokaku and Zuikaku which were unavailable for the Midway operation). Then the US carriers followed up and engaged the balance of the KB, trading three Japanese carriers for the loss of the Enterprise (IRL, four Japanese carriers sunk for the loss of the Yorktown). All of this happened in the DEI in January of '42. So not a repeat of Midway, but it 'rhymes' with Midway in a sense.

(in reply to tonybot)
Post #: 5
RE: Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/15/2018 7:33:51 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonybot

I see WITE and WITW have epansions already. How could Matrix have leave out a Midway scenario in the release of this great game about the War in the Pacific?

A Midway scenario is too focussed on tactical considerations to sit comfortably within the AE game engine which is operationally/strategically focussed and geared towards combined arms operations. Plus to make it follow the historical parameters of the real Midway battle would entail hard coding a lot of the scenario. A Midway scenario which did not closely follow the historical parameters would generate a lot of criticism. In any case it was a key objective when developing AE to reduce to the absolute bare minimum, hard coding.

This thread collates in a single location the many customer created scenarios.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3088504

Many of these scenarios have been created by the same individuals who produced the official scenarios. Their production standards are equal to the official scenarios. Even without counting any scenarios created by people who were not involved in developing AE, the total number of scenarios produced by the AE developers greatly exceed those available for WITE or WITW.

One final pertinent point. AE was released in mid 2009. New additional scenarios do not generate any additional income.

Alfred

(in reply to tonybot)
Post #: 6
RE: Any news on a expansion for WITP? - 4/15/2018 10:12:07 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Following on what Alfred said, the link that he included encompasses many user created scenarios that would, in modern day parlance, be considered "DLC", with the caveat that these are free.

There's a virtual cornucopia of content on that page, created with dedication, passion, and dare I say, love.

All hail the Editor program (and the countless hours of "wth? why is this not working like I think it should?")

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/15/2018 11:19:09 PM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any news on a expansion for WITP? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI