Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help on Command&Control?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Help on Command&Control? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help on Command&Control? - 6/7/2001 3:39:00 PM   
Tom Terror

Hi, long time ago I was playing the first version of SPWaW. Unfortunately hadn´t had time to play since then. Now I´m back with version 5.01 and amazed. But I have serious problems playing with command&control on. Any tips&tricks from you guys? Thanks for helping a come-back-rookie. :)

Post #: 1
- 6/7/2001 4:52:00 PM   
Gordon_freeman

If you say tips and hints, what about turning it off... just kidding. The first thing is, to move ur commander of any platoon as the last unit, so, if someone in that platoon is not reacting bring the commander of that platoon near him and virtually kick his butt (i.e. the unit should be able to move then, but carefull, i said SHOULD). This also assumes that ur platoons stick together, very difficult with tanks... I am not playing with command controll, so I am not a real help here, I think it is somehow to restrictive, not if u play in a small force, but if u have something like 150 units, it fast slows u down. And often in the wrong moment units don't move, but again, my own impression. Play around with this little feature and see wether u like it or not. Enjoy, George

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 2
- 6/7/2001 6:01:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I rarely play a battle with it on, Tom. While quite realistic in its influence in the game, it is also quite restrictive in movement and firing. Like George, I am not an expert on this theme. Others are. I think if you outlined what problems exactly you might be having, you could get some definitive answers right here. Let us know what is bugging you with the system and we'll see what we can come up with. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 3
- 6/7/2001 7:14:00 PM   
lnp4668

Since I begin spwaw, I always play with C&C on, so now it is almost 2nd nature for me to keeps the unit close the commander. A few things to remember: 1. Always set up objective during deployment, that way you would save up command point for that little surprise 2. Keeps all units within 3 hexes of the commander, I usually set the commander behind the others then moves it first, that way I could always reduce the movement of the other units if my commander lag behind. 3. Get some recon units, that way you have something to slow down the enemy's flanking movement while your troop changes direction. 4. Never stay in one place too long. Nothing is worse than an artillery barrage to ruin your units cohesion.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 4
- 6/7/2001 8:30:00 PM   
Tom Terror

Hey, first to specify my problem: it may sound stupid but I´m running out of orders constantly. And Bill, I always thought playing with C&C off is some kind of "cheating" :confused: or better to say lowering the difficulty below average. But there are obviously different styles of playing SPWaW as I learned from you and Inp. That means I don´t have to feel like an "idiot" ;) if I don´t get the grip with C&C. Anyways I will give it some more battles with the C&C option on as there is no better learning than by doing it. But still maybe someone can provide me with some background about spending orders? That would be great. Thanks

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 5
- 6/7/2001 8:43:00 PM   
Drex

Hi Tom. there is a past thread by Redleg who enymerated 10 good points or so on how to use C&C. Use the serch engine above to find it. Just type in "command & Control" and you'll probably find a host of threads. I use it all the time now and am even playing a 15000 pt game with it so it can be used with large formations. If you're running out of orders maybe you are moving your units out of the shaded areas. When you set your objectives, the shaded areas are shownas the areas your unit can move in without using an order. If you move your unit out of that shaded area you use an order. Always set your units objective through the leader. He must must have three orders to do this. If he doesn't you will have to let that section or platoon rest until the three orders are built up then you can change objectives.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 6
- 6/7/2001 9:15:00 PM   
Lucky Kaa

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Terror: Hey, first to specify my problem: it may sound stupid but I´m running out of orders constantly.
The first thing to learn about are the objectives you set for each unit. You basically set the objective flag to the point you are going to want the platoon to move to. Once this is set, the units in that platoon don't spend orders to move as long as their moving to their objective. When you move, the area you can move in should now look like it restricts you to the hexes that involve moving towards the objective. You can still move backwards or laterally, but it costs orders. This should probably clear up something like 75% of those issues with running out of orders. It fixed most of my issues. You can change a platoon's objective for three orders. You can use orders to call in artillery, but this can quickly run you out of orders if you call in a lot of arty. Better to use a forward observer, who will call in arty faster and has no purpose for orders other than to call in arty. You can change stance with orders. Defend prevents you from moving, but lets you find cover faster. Advance lets you move, but you either won't look for cover or will find it more slowly (I forget which). You can use the command vehicle to change the stance for a whole platoon, which is usually cheaper than changing the stance for each individual unit. It costs one order( I think. You could look it up in the manual ) to move a unit away from an objective (which includes moving units that have no set objective). It costs 3 to change an objective. I think its one order per battery/aircraft you call in. It also costs to call off a strike, so decide what you want to do before you start randomly hitting the pretty buttons. I think it cost 2 orders to change stance, or 4 for a platoon commander to change the whole unit. As for keeping in contact: A unit has to be withing three hexes of it's commander to be in contact, or have radio contact. If they fall out of contact, they no longer have access to their commanders orders, so all they can do is move towards the objective or fire. (This is another reason why it is critical to set objectives!) Tanks tend to have radios, but they can run into interference or have their antenna masts destroyed, so while they can spread out more than infantry, they can still have issues. I think that using the objectives is probably the most critical part of the C&C option. If you don't use them at all, you will just end up running out of orders and end up moving half a platoon at a time, which is not the purpose of C&C. C&C is meant to get you thinking in terms of platoons instead of squads. Because you need to maintain platoon cohesion, you have one platoon covering the advance of another platoon, instead of having an MG and a squad covering the advance of two other squads. Kaa

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 7
- 6/7/2001 10:23:00 PM   
Tom Terror

Wow, i didn´t expect that much! Thanks a lot. I better get started with my C&C training now. Again thanks, you helped me a lot with that information. Let´s see if I can make something out of it. :D :cool:

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 8
- 6/8/2001 6:02:00 PM   
Reg

Another tip: Keep your headquarter units A0, B0, C0 etc unsuppressed (out of the line of fire) or they will only generate new orders at half the normal rate!!! Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Tom Terror)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Help on Command&Control? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI