Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement or artillery units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement or artillery units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement or a... - 4/18/2018 2:25:14 PM   
LordOfPants

I'm not sure if they're just not that great or if I'm missing something. I've also only been playing against the AI so far so might be missing something with human players.

I find that almost always either my units are too busy doing things to reinforce them past 10, or I'm too broke to do anything but top off really weak units to keep them in the field. For example it seems like overstrength units would be good for Barbarosa or Sea Lion, but I find that upgrades and needed builds (like maxing armor/tac air before DAK happens) tend to eat up all of my money.

Artillery units don't really seem worth building, I'll take whatever free ones I get, but even with the artillery tech researched they're difficult to use and don't seem to actually do all that much. They're not useless since lowering entrenchment in bad weather can be nice, but it seems like I'm always better off spending the money on regular ground units or bombers unless my force pool is maxed out.

< Message edited by LordOfPants -- 4/18/2018 2:26:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/18/2018 3:16:56 PM   
sPzAbt653

I'm with you on adding 'elite' reinforcements, I'd like to hear what others say. I also only play solo, and decided long ago that the elite reinforcement thing wasn't worth it [at least until near the end of a romp when MPP's are plentiful]. However, I do notice the computer will elite many of his units, which probably hurts it way more than it helps.

I think I agree with you on artillery units. I play exclusively with a mod and one of the first things I did was to remove them all, except for Soviet Artillery Corps and a few German Nebeltruppen. The good thing about artillery is that when you can get it into proper position it is cheaper than Air Units and doesn't usually suffer casualties. When it fires defensively it usually can save the attacked unit one strength point [minor but something].

(in reply to LordOfPants)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/18/2018 3:44:50 PM   
Taxman66

1. Sometimes units just need to stay stationary to recover morale and readiness; or advacing is not that useful (due to mud or will put you in low supply); or you're fighting in a narrow field with back up units (e.g. Egypt or Finland); or weather is grounding your planes. These are good times to elite reinforce. Overstrength units are useful in that they do more damage, maintain higher morale & readiness, resist more damage, and best of all have a buffer to retain that precious experience when they do get damaged.

2. I love Arty. Especially for Russia.
It can provide defensive support; It is not grounded by weather; It can't be intercepted by enemy (superior) fighters; with advancement it removes 2 entrenchment per volley and does a number on morale & readiness; Lastly it's not very expensive to buy. I always get an extra Katyusha by buying 3 before the freebie arrives. I only wish I could get an extra heavy arty too.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/18/2018 4:24:10 PM   
Sugar

Overstrenght is the best way to keep xp at high levels, and that's the best way to reduce losses. This is best done during winter or muddy weather, and it's often the difference between losing a unit or surviving several attacks.

Arty is a bit of Stuka zu Fuss, they help focussing your aircraft in better weather conditions. They are even good damage dealers in swamps, and if experienced. Usually I'm supporting every german minor with 1 arty, to replace the non existing Stukas.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/18/2018 8:51:55 PM   
Harun

I like having Nebelwerfer while taking major Russian cities with fortifications.

Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/18/2018 9:03:04 PM   
KorutZelva

Russian regular armies don't get the 10% de-moralization that other countries get. They have to rely on other unit (including arty).

This particular AAR has examples of what overstrenghted units can do...

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/19/2018 5:54:49 PM   
LordOfPants

Interesting, I think I haven't been paying enough attention to experience levels and preserving them.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement ... - 4/24/2018 7:26:12 PM   
LordOfPants

Yeah, I made a point of using artillery in my last game and I had just gauged it wrong at first. I think I was comparing it to tac air (which kills lots of strength points) and not really paying attention to the morale/entrenchment. Oddly enough it doesn't seem that good against the giant fort complex at Moscow, but it's really great at conquering all of those annoying dug-in cities. Also I was experimenting with the artillery unit in North Africa (from either side) and I think that one isn't a good test. With the supply problems and how much the front lines move, it's pretty hard to get good use out of it.

Really using overstrength seems to require you to baby your units until they have high XP, taking level 1 units to 11 doesn't make them all that effective or durable, but a 12-13 unit is really scary.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Does anyone really like Overstrength Reinforcement or artillery units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI