Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An Open Letter To Scenario Designers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> An Open Letter To Scenario Designers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/22/2018 9:51:38 PM   
Scorpion86

Dear Scenario Designers:

STOP MAKING SCENARIOS WITH PRE-EXISTING MISSIONS

Nothing irritates me more than when I open up a scenario and it already has pre-existing missions. Why would you do that? Isn't setting up the missions part of the fun? Isn't tallying up your assets, assessing the most probably axes of threat satisfying? It is!
Stop saving us from the mud of mission planning! We are pigs! We love that mud!
Not to mention, whenever I see pre-made missions, I'm also weary of ****ing up something in the mission if I remove them!

Thank you for listening to my ramblings!

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 5:23:24 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/22/2018 9:57:52 PM   
thewood1

Before every scenario start, I go in and remove any missions I don't want. Takes about five minutes, even in large scenarios.

That gives the best of both worlds for the scenario designer because there are some who want missions pre-populated.

What's with the open letter gig? Can't you just put the actual topic into the thread. Seems a little melodramatic.

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 2
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/22/2018 9:58:58 PM   
Scorpion86

Not to mention that some scenarios rigidly define what you must do and when and which path you must follow. That completely negates the appeal of CMANO, which is to define your own path as a great commander! (Hopefully!)
Give us objectives, not instruction manuals!

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 3
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/22/2018 10:13:06 PM   
thewood1

I am assuming you haven't read the posts with other players saying that the briefings aren't detailed enough in how to complete objectives.

My suggestion is don't play the scenarios that really seem to be aggravating you. There are hundreds of scenarios to choose from. There have to be quite a few that don't raise you blood pressure.

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 4
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/22/2018 10:16:06 PM   
DWReese

Scorpion,

Many times scenarios are built to be played from either side. If all of the missions are eliminated from the sides, then you have no scenario.

Personally, as was suggested, I believe that it just might be best to alter/eliminate any missions from the side that you are playing that you want to eliminate by doing it yourself. Face it, it would be a real boring scenario if no units on either side have any orders. <G>

I do understand your original thought, but I don't think that that is going to actually work out too well.

Doug

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 5
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/22/2018 10:40:20 PM   
thewood1

"Many times scenarios are built to be played from either side. If all of the missions are eliminated from the sides, then you have no scenario."

Actually, there is an option to automatically delete the mission is side is human. Its just a checkmark in the editor.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 6
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 12:50:53 AM   
DWReese

NSS......As I requested before, please DO NOT RESPOND TO ME ABOUT ANYTHING. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM YOU.

Talk to anyone else that you want, but don't respond to me, or about me. Pretend that I don't exist and we will be fine. Period!

Doug

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 1:06:43 AM   
thewood1

How's the weather

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 8
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 1:08:28 AM   
thewood1

An easy way to avoid the snowflake trauma of engaging me is to stop posting in threads I am in...oops, sorry, I engaged you again.

I think there is already an ignore button also.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 2:58:36 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: DWReese

NSS......As I requested before, please DO NOT RESPOND TO ME ABOUT ANYTHING. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM YOU.

Talk to anyone else that you want, but don't respond to me, or about me. Pretend that I don't exist and we will be fine. Period!

Doug

You know, you could have just ignored his post...........just saying.....

As for Scorpion's OP:

I doubt you speak for the majority on this, because none of us speak for the majority. Some pre-made missions can be very handy, like pre-made AEW missions.

Some scenarios are built off of total freedom of action, while others strive to simulate an environment of limited options as the commander. It all depends on the scenario design, and I really don't think it's your place to demand all scenario designers scrap pre-made missions for the player.

You can certainly make it known that you would prefer scenarios not have pre-made missions, but you shouldn't be so dramatic as to have "open letter to scenario designers" and "STOP MAKING SCENARIOS WITH PRE-EXISTING MISSIONS"

Also, consider this quote of your's Scorpion:

quote:

Not to mention that some scenarios rigidly define what you must do and when and which path you must follow. That completely negates the appeal of CMANO, which is to define your own path as a great commander! (Hopefully!)

Erm, there are plenty of instances of real commanders in the modern world having to deal with being restrained considerably by their superiors (both military and political leaders), so much of the Vietnam War was like this, so it's hardly unrealistic for the player to be constrained like that in CMANO.

Finally, as wood said, just search out other scenarios, or learn to live with pre-made missions, which I am sure you can safely edit or remove 99% of the time. Is having some missions made for you really that bad?

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 10
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 5:46:30 AM   
Rory Noonan

I understand this can be irritating; on the other hand just open the mission editor and delete the ones you don't want before starting the scen. Don't even need to open up ScenEdit.

Should take about 10 seconds.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 11
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 9:33:44 AM   
AlGrant

Scorpion86
Just to ask .... Are you opening up these scenarios in the Editor or normal gameplay?

If in the Editor then pre-existing mission that are set to 'Scrub mission if side is human' will remain in place, but would be removed in normal gameplay.

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 12
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 11:13:09 AM   
thewood1

"You know, you could have just ignored his post...........just saying...."

I am assuming he secretly likes engaging me. He just can't bring himself to admit it. Like wiggling a sore tooth.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 13
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 11:55:10 AM   
Primarchx

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

I understand this can be irritating; on the other hand just open the mission editor and delete the ones you don't want before starting the scen. Don't even need to open up ScenEdit.

Should take about 10 seconds.

This is what I usually do. And scrub the map of unwanted RPs.

Post #: 14
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 1:07:13 PM   
thewood1

I guess that was my point. It is just SOP that look at the missions set up prior to scenario start. I scrub a lot, but usually leave some basic patrols up.

...and I'm talking to you Doug.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 15
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 7:14:53 PM   
BDukes

This string weird. Don't peoples make scenario for free?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 16
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 7:19:58 PM   
Death6

In Reclaimed Might I used three missions as default helpers for newbies. There is no requirement to have them enabled at all. They are just the basic actions and have no risk of you losing anything. I figured if somebody doesn't want the missions they can just delete them?

I want my scenario's to be approachable by new players. That's why I leave the missions there for some guidance on the playable side.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 17
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 7:25:20 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

"You know, you could have just ignored his post...........just saying...."

I am assuming he secretly likes engaging me. He just can't bring himself to admit it. Like wiggling a sore tooth.

You like engage him. I see you "I'm talking to you post" got delete.

Please be nice. It best for all and cost you nothing.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/23/2018 7:44:03 PM   
thewood1

BDukes, I am not sure what you are on about again. No post got deleted.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 19
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/24/2018 4:40:14 PM   
KungPao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scorpion86

Tell that to Lyndon B. Johnson.

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 20
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/24/2018 10:20:57 PM   
BeirutDude

So some people might want the scenario missions pre-defined and it takes just a couple of minutes to delete missions you don't want and define your own. I really don't see the problem.

Also I do design scenarios to be played from both sides (thus mission are necessary for the AI) and many times use the function to exclude some missions when played by the human...

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/24/2018 10:23:22 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 21
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 1:01:57 AM   
kevinkins

Silly thread ... lets drop it guys.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 22
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 2:47:50 PM   
DWReese

quote:

How's the weather

Hello,

Since you asked, my weather is warm and sunny, but I see that you are still a little cold at times.

Your new BFF,

Doug

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:09:35 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 23
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 2:52:09 PM   
DWReese

quote:

quote:

...and I'm talking to you Doug.

Hi

I'm really glad that you like talking to me, because I do like talking to you, too. In fact, I'll be talking to you again real soon.

Your new BFF,

Doug

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:38:41 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 24
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 9:06:05 PM   
Rory Noonan

Can you guys just leave each other alone or take this private. It really detracts from any thread where this goes on.

The block function is quick and easy to use; literally two clicks.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 25
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 9:49:53 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Yes seriously, these arguments need to be put to an end.

Post #: 26
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 10:00:54 PM   
DWReese

Sorry, Rory

But, if you look toward the top of this thread you'll see that I tried to initiate the "avoidance thing", but apparently ol' wood didn't want to adhere to that.

I reported his actions, once again, to the Moderators, but they didn't seem to want to get involved. So, left with no choice, I apparently have to deal with him on my own. That's not a problem.

Apparently, thewood wants to become BFFs as evidenced by the fact that he continues to send me messages, talk about me, and reference me to others. So, we ARE going to become BFFs. Be careful what you wish for.

Perhaps if wood would have adhered to my wishes, and refrained from contacting me, OR if the Moderators would have addressed this issue as they should have in the beginning, then you wouldn't be seeing this.

But, here we are. So, as HalfLifeExpert stated, if it bothers you then you can simply ignore it.

Doug

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:42:05 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 10:19:24 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

Sorry, Rory

But, if you look toward the top of this thread you'll see that I tried to initiate the "avoidance thing", but apparently ol' thewood didn't want to adhere to that.

I reported his actions, once again, to the Moderators, but they didn't seem to want to get involved. So, left with no choice, I apparently have to deal with him on my own. That's not a problem.

Apparently, thewood wants to become BFFs as evidenced by the fact that he continues to send me messages, talk about me, and reference me to others. So, we ARE going to become BFFs. Be careful what you wish for.

Perhaps if thewood would have adhered to my wishes, and refrained from contacting me, OR if the Moderators would have addressed this issue as they should have in the beginning, then you wouldn't be seeing this.

But, here we are. So, as HalfLifeExpert stated, if it bothers you then you can simply ignore it.

Doug

Responding to a post in a thread is not the same as "contacting" you. As I have already told you, in this particular instance, wood's post was completely appropriate as a fair and accurate response to something you said about a feature in the game.

There was nothing to be gained by responding to him in the way you did, regardless of any past disputes with him.

I'm not a moderator, so I don't know of any specifics of what their operational doctrine is, based on my own observations, past and present, Wood's comments (i prefer to use forum screenames if you don't mind) arn't really enough to warrant serious actions.

As far as I can tell, this is only remaining a thread damaging issue because you and a few others keep making it one. We all need to just remain mature about all this an not make federal cases over every little instance of percieved rudeness.

That being said, this thread must come to an end, as it has drifted from the OP and I think it has been made clear that OP's demand's are without solid foundation.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:43:18 AM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 28
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 10:31:06 PM   
DWReese

Dear HLE,

Respectfully, you need to take a seat on the sidelines and stop telling people what they should do. You aren't the forum policeman.

thewood is my new BFF, and we are going to get to know each other real well. I'm actually really looking forward to it.

Had the Moderators removed him a couple of weeks ago when 16 people in 13 minutes indicated that they were in favor of it, then this forum wouldn't have to deal with him any longer.

Sorry if it bothers you, but in returning your OWN advice back to YOU, "if you don't like it, just ignore it." Remember saying that? It's time to take your own advice.

Doug

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:43:48 AM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 29
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 10:36:56 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

Dear HLE,

Respectfully, you need to take a seat on the sidelines and stop telling people what they should do. You aren't the forum policeman.

thewood is my new BFF, and we are going to get to know each other real well. I'm actually really looking forward to it.

Had the Moderators removed him a couple of weeks ago when 16 people in 13 minutes indicated that they were in favor of it, then this forum wouldn't have to deal with him any longer.

Sorry if it bothers you, but in returning your OWN advice back to YOU, "if you don't like it, just ignore it." Remember saying that? It's time to take your own advice.

Doug

Says the guy who is demanding another user stop contacting him.

And 16 people is hardly the majority on this forum.

You are the one who keeps bringing this up when myself and others are simply posting in the thread that the situation must be defused and the thread close before things get out of hand.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:44:15 AM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> An Open Letter To Scenario Designers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI