Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strike Mission Targeting Question(s)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 4:20:09 PM   
fatgreta1066

Hi,

I want to see if I've got this right. I'm sending a strike mission against 47 tarmac spaces. In my WRA I've set the KD-20 (the only weapon being sent on this strike) to expend 1 round against any soft or hard land structure, and also 1 round against any runway grade taxi way and access point.

If I assign 7 aircraft with 6 KD-20's each to this mission, will each aircraft fire a single missile as 6 different parking spaces, leading to the entire strike launching 42 missiles at 42 separate targets (theoretically at least)? Or does each aircraft pick a target, fire and wait to see the results before deciding if another missile is needed or another target should be selected? Or, horror or horrors, does each aircraft pick a single target, fire a single missile and then, if that missile does the job, RTB with 5 missiles remaining?

Thanks,

Chris
Post #: 1
RE: Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 5:33:49 PM   
DWReese

Hi Chris,

The existing Strike Mission Targeting concept is not an absolute, foolproof, way of conducting strikes.

You can, on occasion, set up the strike just like you described (42 targets/42 missiles/1 missile per target) and it will work just perfect. You will think that it is the best thing since sliced bread. Then, the next time you try it, doing it exactly the same way, for some reason you will have 5 missiles headed toward this target, and none going to four others. There doesn't ever seem to be any absolutes.

You have to understand that this attack concept (a list of targets) leaves lots to be desired and is quite difficult to program and be that effective. If you have something simple like two planes (each armed with two bombs) trying to attack four buildings (one each), it could probably handle it with no problem. But, asking it to do 42 different types with 42 missiles is a little much. In fact, the NUMBER 1 thing requested in a Strike Planner, and it is reportedly being worked on.

So, how does this solve your problem? It's probably best to single out each launcher and match it up with each individual target. I have never seen this method fail, and it works great. It does take a lot of time, but it works and you don't have the problems that you described. In other words, if it's really critical, then micromanage it to ensure your success.

Good luck, and continue to ask any questions that you may have. There are plenty of people to help you.

Doug

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 2
RE: Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 6:53:21 PM   
TyphoonFr

Hi,
In the case of the KD-20 (and all cruise missiles), arrived at the RP "Wpn Lnch", each A/C will attack 6 differents targets, or 42 targets for 42 KD-20.

If you have more weapons than targets, the planes that still have weapons will continue to the target and wait to see the result to re-attack the targets that were destroyed by the first salvo, while the others go RTB (it depends on the doctrine).At avoid, in his attack profile, the Badger flies at 550kts, while the KD-20 fly at 500kts. Your plane will arrive on the target before the missiles ....

Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 3
RE: Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 7:48:07 PM   
thewood1

I am not sure what I am doing right and others are doing wrong. I never have these issues with targeting multiple targets. But do spend a lot of time tweaking ROEs, withdrawals, winchester, bingo, and tanker settings. I mean a lot of time. I also tend not to send out missions of more than eight planes, and typically four.

(in reply to TyphoonFr)
Post #: 4
RE: Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 8:55:09 PM   
Dannyp19

Dont forget "shooter per salvo" selection in WRA. In your situation I would set 1 round per target and 1 shooter per salvo. It should do you good.
Im with Wood on this one. I havent had a hiccup (lately) doing it this way. You have to really go over your ROE's, WRA's, etc. with a fine tooth comb to get the results you want. Good luck.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 9:57:40 PM   
rmunie0613

I have sometimes had multiple missiles aimed at the same target- somewhat random, but this happens in real life also, so I do not see it as a bad thing or specifically as a problem. Redundancy also helps...some missiles miss, some malfunction, some are shot down by defenses.

(in reply to Dannyp19)
Post #: 6
RE: Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) - 4/23/2018 10:28:10 PM   
fatgreta1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannyp19

Dont forget "shooter per salvo" selection in WRA. In your situation I would set 1 round per target and 1 shooter per salvo. It should do you good.
Im with Wood on this one. I havent had a hiccup (lately) doing it this way. You have to really go over your ROE's, WRA's, etc. with a fine tooth comb to get the results you want. Good luck.

Thank you for that reminder!

(in reply to Dannyp19)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Strike Mission Targeting Question(s) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI