Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should Be In Video Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should Be In Video Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should Be I... - 4/26/2018 9:22:54 AM   
radic202

Interesting article I found on Kotaku.

https://kotaku.com/lesser-known-moments-from-world-war-ii-that-should-be-i-1820395905

"Unfortunately, most WWII games are a mishmash of America’s contribution to the Western front, including the D-Day invasion, Operation Market Garden, and the Battle of the Bulge, as well as Russian battles in Stalingrad and Kursk."

and

"The Pacific Theatre is criminally overlooked in WWII games. In fact, the only AAA games I can recall being set there are Call of Duty: World at War and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. Major conflicts like Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima are skimmed over....."

and this was interesting to read:

"Did you know that Americans and Germans fought alongside each other during WWII?..............."

Now I do understand that they are mentioning mostly FPS Games but this article still merits some reading as some of these battles I have not even heard of before. Not even sure if Matrix/Slitherine Games have any scenarios of these mentioned in any of their games.

"The power of a first person game is to put you in the moment. Third person games work more like movies, and strategy games make things so abstract they can lose the personal touch entirely. Shooters like Call of Duty have the ability to transport us back in time, to let us live through harrowing moments first hand. There’s a power found in being there; no other medium, no other genre, can provide that same feeling."

Not sure I totally agree with the statement I bolded here! I personally hate FPS games of any genre, so even games with VR would not be my cup of tea!

Anyways, Enjoy!

< Message edited by radic202 -- 4/26/2018 9:25:43 AM >

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Post #: 1
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 1:37:28 PM   
Alan Sharif

Interesting.

A Sharif

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 2
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 2:12:35 PM   
RFalvo69

Without reading the article:

- Kasserine Pass
- The Winter War between Finland and Russia
- Kokoda Trail
- American landings in Sicily with the counterattack by the HG Division at Gela
- Monte Cassino
- Courland

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 3
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 2:34:17 PM   
rico21

Money, money and money again!
To play a FPS, you need muscles.
To play a wargame, you need a brain.
We all have muscles!

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 4
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 2:54:59 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

Money, money and money again!
To play a FPS, you need muscles.
To play a wargame, you need a brain.
We all have muscles!

Yeah, but I have biceps in my brain

[Years of training in the field helped. Try to outfox two daughters for 20+ years: sure, you lose, but the "lessons learned" make of you an ace of wargames...]

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 5
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 5:38:25 PM   
Kuokkanen

I had long day at work and it's getting late in here Finland. I need to postpone reading the entire article for later. But it seems writer of it isn't a wargamer nor does he know enough of wargames. Because by now Steel Panthers series alone covers crap tons of lesser known moments of warfare since Second World War.

I recall someone from China made few posts here about wargaming over there. Maybe Chinese wargames would provide some more of variety?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 6
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 6:12:39 PM   
rico21

Wargame belongs to the free world.
The proof?
The pieces have a NATO symbol.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 7
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/26/2018 10:14:55 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I would also throw in some reasonable and realistic alternate history possibilities.

I'm not talking about things like the Axis winning the war as some games have portrayed, but actual operations that could very well have happened, not necessarily succeeding, but happening.

Top of the list would easily be Operation Downfall, the Invasion of Japan. I would really like to see some games from a couple different genres explore this.

Others could be:

-Operation Sea Lion (not a scenario of a world where it succeeds, but actually portraying such an operation)

-Invasion attempt against Malta

-Axis assault on Gibralter

-Allied landings in Norway (1942 or later)

-Attacking an implemented German "national redoubt" in 1945

-a WWII That starts in 1938 over the Sudetenland Crisis

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 4/26/2018 10:15:28 PM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 8
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/27/2018 4:03:35 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

I would also throw in some reasonable and realistic alternate history possibilities.
Others could be:

-Operation Sea Lion (not a scenario of a world where it succeeds, but actually portraying such an operation)

At least Panzer Corps has it. I make a guess a number of other games may have it too (TOAW series maybe?)

[edit]
Armored Brigade in development has the Cold War going hot.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 4/27/2018 4:05:16 AM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 9
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/27/2018 5:54:33 AM   
barkhorn45

dc 1 has sealion

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
RE: Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should ... - 4/27/2018 1:30:32 PM   
nicwb

And Command Ops has not only an axis invasion attempt on Malta but a follow up scenario of an allied counter invasion.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Lesser-Known Moments From World War II That Should Be In Video Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI