Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Chinese supply question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Chinese supply question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chinese supply question - 4/27/2018 4:04:02 PM   
jwolf

I am playing as Allies against the Japanese AI, currently in July 1944. By this time I have taken or retaken all of the mainland SE Asia: Singapore, Malaya, Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. So there is a good supply path from Singapore all the way into the main bases in southern China. There is also the crummier path from Rangoon through Lashio.

All this time, I have been flying supply from Ledo to Kunming with several hundred transport planes. Then Ledo began to run dry of supply, although India as a whole has lots of it. So I turned off the supply transport missions for a while.

Now my question is this: should I bother with any more of the air supply missions? Are these redundant in view of the large amount of supply available through the road and rail network?
Post #: 1
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/27/2018 4:13:37 PM   
HansBolter

If the Burma road is open you should be sending massive supply TFs to Rangoon.

The air route is only a small supplement to the road route once the road is open and you have massive amounts of supply at Rangoon to be pulled into China.

I'm in October '44 and 5 turns ago I had 1.5m supply in Rangoon. 5 turns later it had dropped to 1.1m with 400k being pulled into the field.

I'm maintaining supply levels of 45k in Wuchow (main B24 base) and 40K in Changsha (main B29 base).

I have about 4-5 TF carrying 60k-110k from Aden to Rangoon and 3-4 TFs carrying 100k-160k from East Coast to Aden.

You have to set up the logistical network to get the supply to a point where it can be pulled into China.

Eight more posts to the 6K milestone!!!!

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 4/27/2018 4:21:15 PM >

Hans

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/27/2018 5:04:29 PM   
BBfanboy

The route from Singapore to China is not perfect because of the rail break between Phnom Penh and Saigon, and east of Lang Son.
I have convoys of my longer ranged ships hauling from Cape Town to Amoy and Wenchow. This gets the supply immediately close to the front lines.
Caveat- neither the IJN nor IJ air forces are a danger in these two locations now.
My shorter ranged ships haul to Rangoon.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/27/2018 5:59:00 PM   
jwolf

In my game I have also been shipping supply from Calcutta to Rangoon, which now has well over 1M supply. I also ship from India/Ceylon to Georgetown. I haven't yet tried to ship directly into China. My forces control the coast up to Hong Kong, but no farther (yet -- an op for Wenchow is in progress). But the Japanese have a big air base at Takao which can interfere. One problem I have -- bad management -- is that I ran Capetown's supply way down and it is taking a long time to rebuild it. There is an immense pile of it at Aden but that is a longer trip to get it anywhere I really want it.

I have not yet attempted to base big bombers in China, but there is a constant stream of relatively intense ground fighting, currently in the area of Chuhsien and Wenchow. Also many Chinese units are upgrading to more modern squads as well as filling out the corps. Empirically, what I see in the last two months, since Canton and Hong Kong were liberated, is a steady state where my ground forces in active operations have enough supply. But I see no change or improvement in static areas such as Chengchow/Loyang which consistently show yellow exclamation points even though in theory they are on a good supply path from other bases which are in good shape.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/27/2018 11:10:11 PM   
GetAssista

If HK looks risky, ship to Saigon/CRB then suck it into China through base sliders. Far more efficient this way, keep your transports for paratrooper operations, those are very useful against AI.
And try to use HK or Canton eventually. Those are far enough from Takao so that AI break its teeth against good enough CAP after several tries. And what is more important, nearby bases have higher daily limits for supply draw than those near Indochina

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/28/2018 2:34:44 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

In my game I have also been shipping supply from Calcutta to Rangoon, which now has well over 1M supply. I also ship from India/Ceylon to Georgetown. I haven't yet tried to ship directly into China. My forces control the coast up to Hong Kong, but no farther (yet -- an op for Wenchow is in progress). But the Japanese have a big air base at Takao which can interfere. One problem I have -- bad management -- is that I ran Capetown's supply way down and it is taking a long time to rebuild it. There is an immense pile of it at Aden but that is a longer trip to get it anywhere I really want it.

I have not yet attempted to base big bombers in China, but there is a constant stream of relatively intense ground fighting, currently in the area of Chuhsien and Wenchow. Also many Chinese units are upgrading to more modern squads as well as filling out the corps. Empirically, what I see in the last two months, since Canton and Hong Kong were liberated, is a steady state where my ground forces in active operations have enough supply. But I see no change or improvement in static areas such as Chengchow/Loyang which consistently show yellow exclamation points even though in theory they are on a good supply path from other bases which are in good shape.

Aden is not that far from Karachi, so just ship the supply there and let it flow to Calcutta for onward movement. I also use Madras as a major port to reduce congestion at Calcutta.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 6
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/28/2018 3:06:25 AM   
jwolf

Thanks for the advice. I finally got a really good air support unit into Hong Kong and now I have a lot of air units based there. I'll start working on shipping supply into HK, probably from Sumatra where I still have close to 1M I think.

Many of my freighters were out of position at Capetown and after some time I have relocated some groups to NY or Aden. I do ship supply into Karachi but it seems to just sit there. Madras is indeed a good alternative to Calcutta and for whatever reason it seems to stay in supply in my game whereas Calcutta is struggling.

I wish the French had connected the rail from Cambodia to Vietnam.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Chinese supply question - 4/28/2018 3:53:05 AM   
crsutton

You have more big AKs in the West Coast of the US than you will need in the Pacific. If you are planning on major operations in the CBI then you should be shipping massive amounts of supply from the East Coast of the US to the CBI. If not you might be hard pressed. Of course, you probably know this by now.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Chinese supply question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI