Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Balkan Campaign 1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Balkan Campaign 1945 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Balkan Campaign 1945 - 6/8/2001 2:49:00 PM   
kurtbj

I've nearly finished making my first campaign, just a couple of days left, hope to complete it on Sunday. How would I get the campaign onto one of the websites so its available for download. The campaign should be different from other campaigns. The background is; You take command of 7th SS Gebirgs Division 'Prinz Eugen' and are sent to capture the town of Zenica just north of Sarajevo. The town is needed to prevent Army Group E from being cut off. You'll be given about 1000 points to purchase a core force and I'd recommend that its strongly infantry based with one or two med tanks/TDs. You will be using this same force WITHOUT any support or AUX troops for the majority of the campaign. You will recive NO rebuild points for the first 4 battles. I just finished testing battle 4 and I have about 10% of my force alive (I kid you not). I want to get the feeling of pure desperation into the campaign with the German forces stretched to the limit against Yugoslav Partisan and Russian attack. The Campaign will be 7 battles when its finished. I hope that its not too easy/difficult.

'Great Sage Equal of Heaven'
Post #: 1
- 6/8/2001 3:06:00 PM   
Don

Is it all tested? If so, Tankhead and Fabio would be the ones to talk to, or you could upload it to the depot HERE

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 2
- 6/8/2001 3:39:00 PM   
kurtbj

Yes, its pretty well tested by myself and a friend of mine, I'm just adding a few finishing touches and tweaking the odd scenario a bit. I would quite like someone who is an expert on the game to test it. Any volunteers would be welcome. The battles shouldn't take too long the maps aren't huge and the forces involved are around 1000 points. Short and bloody battles!

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 3
- 6/8/2001 4:12:00 PM   
risto.nikula

YYESS, Way to go Kurt! :cool: I cant wait to get my hands on your campaing. two thumb's up. Hope this campaing will give me ideas for my own "guerilla" campaing.

Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi infanus est

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 4
- 6/8/2001 6:20:00 PM   
kurtbj

Thanks JR, I hope you will enjoy it. I remember you saying that you wanted something not heavily armour based and this should fulfill that. I've been testing it with the following forces. 3 SS Rifle Plt 1 PzIIIh 2 Recon Scout Plt 1 Sniper 1 Sec 75mm Inf Gun 1 Sec Pack Mules 1 Heavy Mortar 1 Kuebelwagen 1 Lightly Armoured TD (can't remember exact model but its open topped) Battle 4 in the campaign finished and I had about half a Rifle Plt alive and the Heavy Mortar. All other forces dead but they went down fighting and took plenty with them!! :)

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 5
- 6/8/2001 7:25:00 PM   
lnp4668

Just curious, how do you keeps the infantry from being replenished between battles? It seems like they gets backup to full strength if was not destroyed outright. So a infantry only forces probably do well even without repair if they pulls back before being destroyed ;)

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 6
- 6/8/2001 7:25:00 PM   
varjager

I would honoured to play test this campaign. varjager@hotmail.com

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 7
- 6/8/2001 7:56:00 PM   
kurtbj

lnp4668 Yes, thats true, the infantry units unless they are destroyed will replenish at the end of the battle. As you say, trying to keep them alive and from being destroyed will help you. You have to look after all your units because you won't have any Support or AUX units to use as cannon fodder. All your units are precious. :) It will be fully ready this weekend I hope and I'll try to get it posted up somewhere.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 8
- 6/9/2001 5:38:00 AM   
Wild Bill

It sounds like a winner Kurt. Congratulations! We can always use one more, especially on this neglected theme! It sounds like you have done it differently and I'd like to see it with this different approach. Good luck with it! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 9
- 6/9/2001 6:23:00 AM   
ruxius

Ready to bring that Heroes to the Victory..or lay down in the mud...for no future ! Innovative idea that one of no rebuild points !! I like it very much ! I too have had such an idea for my italian campaign..but it's a pity infantry is refilled in that way..it would be nice fight till the end..like many combat groups did during WW2 !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 10
- 6/9/2001 3:57:00 PM   
kurtbj

Ruxius, yes its a pity that infantry units get rebuilt up to full strength, I don't know any way to prevent it. Would be nice if they had to pay rebuild points to replenish their squads. :(

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 11
- 6/9/2001 6:53:00 PM   
kurtbj

I have one playtester already (Varjager), I'd ideally like one more tester please? Any volunteers? I'm happy to take any criticism from testers.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 12
- 6/9/2001 7:15:00 PM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by Kurt: I have one playtester already (Varjager), I'd ideally like one more tester please? Any volunteers? I'm happy to take any criticism from testers.
I would like to help you but I have an examination next week at University and a SPWAW's tournament with DoubleDeuce which is ready to go for my spare time.. But as soon I will be free I will try it in a cooperative mode . I've read you are in a hurry with times so I make a step back for my offering... But please send me an email when it's ready to go ! (you can also send it to me at once...but I will play it within a month..maybe it's too long for your needs..)

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 13
- 6/10/2001 1:37:00 AM   
lnp4668

Unless Mega Campaign interrupt it, I would be interested in testing the campaign.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 14
- 6/10/2001 2:30:00 AM   
kurtbj

I've just finished creating the campaign, I've got a couple more testers now so as soon as I get the all clear I'll release it! Took me a while to figure out how all the text files work in the campaign! :)

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 15
- 6/10/2001 2:31:00 AM   
m10bob

Wouldn't this be the 1st SS campaign for SPWAW?...And such an unusual unit too!!!!Before,anything about the SS(books included)seem to be about only the 1st 3 SS divisions....Lots written about the rest being "substandard",but from the 4th "Polizei" on(which was ENTIRELY Russian front),they all were used to the maximum...(or used up).... ;)

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 16
- 6/10/2001 3:01:00 AM   
kurtbj

m10bob, I wanted to concentrate on a little known unit and theatre. The 7th SS seems to have a very controversial past. Most of its recruits were Croation in origin from what I've read. The campaign is loosely based on historical records. the book I've used is 'Hitlers Mountain Troops' by James Lucas. This book gives the division a lot of praise as a fighting unit in difficult conditions. Although another account I've read (in a book about SS units in general) doesn't give the unit much credit but this book doesn't go not any detail at all concerning their battles. Its hard to know which account to believe! :confused:

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 17
- 6/11/2001 2:30:00 AM   
kurtbj

The time is close at hand. The campaign is pretty much complete and I've been testing it all day, just need to type up a descriptive text file for the campaign then its ready to go. Tankhead has kindly agreed to host it on his site. Hoping to send the files to him tomorrow.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 18
- 6/11/2001 3:18:00 AM   
kurtbj

Campaign Introduction Balkan Crisis February 1945 By the end of 1944 the Yugoslav Army of National Liberation (JANL) was no longer just a partisan force. Over the course of three years it had grown from being a number of scattered bands and this growth had not just given it parity with the German forces. It was now so qualitatively and quantitively superior to its enemies that Field Marshall Loehr's Army group E had been forced into fighting a defensive campaign. This is not to say that his hard pressed formations mounted no offensive operations. This they certainly did and among the most aggressive units in the Balkan theatre of operations was 7th SS Gebirgs Division 'Prinz Eugen'. The story of the formation during the last months of the war is a bewildering kaleidoscope of furious attack and staunch defence as the whole division or its individual regiments were detached to be rushed from one crisis point to another. That 'Prinz Eugen' was the formation so frequently called upon was due to the fact that towards the end of the war there were very few crack units anywhere in the German Army that were capable of withstanding massive enemy assaults, or leading daring assaults. The 7th SS Gebirgs Division was one such formation and its prowess in conducting 'fire brigade' operations meant that it was selected time and time again to stiffen a battle line that threatened to rupture or to spearhead a berserker charge in some short lived but reputedly vital mission. And those who called upon the 7th knew that it would never fail to respond to the call. Formation of the 7th SS Gebirgs Division 'Prinz Eugen' Recruited predominently from the Volksdeutsche community in Croatia and the Banat, this unit was founded in March 1942 as the Ss Freiwilligen Gebirgs Division, receiving its honour title 'Prinz Eugen' a month later. By October 1942 its title had reached its final form, being accorded seventh place in the order of battle of Waffen-SS divisions. The division, however, was a volunteer unit in name only. almost from the beginning volunteer recruitment was backed up by widespread coercion and conscription. A number of Serbs, Romanians and Hungarians also found their way into the division. Although the manpower required to raise the unit to divisional status was found through various means, equipment was to be more problematic. As it was intended to utilise Prinz Eugen for internal security and anti-partisan duties, the Germans were unwilling to give it large quantities of first rate arms and equipment, and in the event a large supply of obsolete and obsolescent material found its way into the division arsenal. This included French, Belgian, Yugoslav, Czech and Italian weapons. Even so the division was comparatively well manned and certainly fully if variably equipped, even to the extent of boasting a panzer detachment equipped with captured French tanks. Text reproduced from the following sources; Hitlers Mountain Troops by James Lucas The SS Hitlers Instrument of Terror by Gordon Williamson

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 19
- 6/11/2001 6:01:00 AM   
neonkn

Hi Kurt Another book which you may find interesting is Prinz Eugen by Otto Kumm. I bought it from J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing in 1996 for Canadian $56. They have a web site which you can check. The book has about 400 pages with detailed info, personal accounts and maps of the 7th SS Mountain Div in the Balkans.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 20
- 6/11/2001 3:09:00 PM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by Abyss Born: They have a web site which you can check.
Please Abyss can you report that site ? And Kurt remember to tell us where you will put your campaign !! Bye

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 21
- 6/11/2001 7:06:00 PM   
kurtbj

Ruxius, the campaign will be available on Tankheads site. I've heard of the book by Otto Kumm, he used to be CO of the Division. I've seen it for sale but its quite expensive at £40. One for the future I think.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 22
- 6/12/2001 7:45:00 PM   
neonkn

Hi All The J.J. Fedorowicz site is- http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/ Yes the books are a bit expensive. But the quality and quantity of the info more then makes up for it. The price of the books in my local shops are also expensive. That's why I buy them direct from overseas. The Prinz Eugen cost $56 Canadian this converted to $56.67 Australian in 1996. I think the book was about $70 in the local shops. Now with the Internet it's much easier to buy things from overseas. I don't know how the pound compares to the dollar. Check it out. You may find the book much cheaper getting it from the source.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 23
- 6/12/2001 7:51:00 PM   
ruxius

Thank you boys for all your informations To Abyss..I have a new bookmark added in my browser :D And to Kurt : I am looking for having the time to play your campaign and being inspired by it !!! Bye !

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 24
- 6/13/2001 12:17:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Kurt, what number (slot) is your campaign? I don't want to duplicate the slot in an upcoming campaign I am working on. Let me know please, either here or by e-mail. Thanks...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 25
- 6/13/2001 12:51:00 AM   
kurtbj

Its slot 15 at the moment but I understand that another campaign has that slot so I think I should change it. Can I change it by simply changing the number '15' in the filenames to 16 or something?

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 26
- 6/13/2001 8:11:00 AM   
m10bob

KURT!!!! If you look at all the pics on lbm with the viewer,you can find the croatian SS units used in your campaign..They are the ones standing at attention,wearing fezzes,and as i recall,looking to the camera..Some of the honchos of the depleted units were in Berlin when it fell.(They had been sitting there,drunk,for approx 4 months since losing their units.)..They had become an embarrassment to Hitler and Himmler..I spent 3 yrs in Germany(after Nam),and i got a chance to speak to a lot of the vets my dads age..(Dad was 116th inf rct,all the way through-lucky!)...bob ;)

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 27
- 6/13/2001 8:28:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Kurt: Its slot 15 at the moment but I understand that another campaign has that slot so I think I should change it. Can I change it by simply changing the number '15' in the filenames to 16 or something?
Hi Kurt, thanks for letting me tested the campaign. Yes, you could just changes all the 15 to 16 (or 5 to 6 :)) to makes the campaign fit another slot.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 28
- 6/13/2001 9:39:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Okay, good to know. I'll use 17 for the Hurtgen campaign. Thanks, Kurt...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 29
- 6/13/2001 2:18:00 PM   
kurtbj

Thanks for the help and advice. I'll change the campaign number to 16 tonight and make some minor adjustments to a couple of battles and then send the file to Tankhead for his site.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Balkan Campaign 1945 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI