Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/6/2018 10:04:52 PM   
Daniel Amieiro

Hi!
I have patched eian001.tpj file to make EIH 4.0 combat tables. Files are on scenarios /mods

Attacker has now outflank for right, left and bombard
defender has outflank for right, left, bombard, flexible defence and counterechelon

Names for outflank (left and right) and envelope are "outflank". But you can see the pic ;)

TESTING. Feedback is welcome.

PD: Switzerland infantry morale of 4.0 is on this tpj -> pzgndr will love it :D

BUGS REPORTING to DEVS:
1.- To determine that is an "outflank" game are looking that tactic name (the name that is showed in combo box) is "outflank". But the program should look that the Letter "I" is in the tactic (like other letters) and don't check the name -> So the combo box will be good looking

2.- Game only uses eian001.tpj and IGNORES ALL. If you are loading a eian005.ged, doesn't load their "pair" 005.tpj. Loads the 001.tpj. It's necessary to separate games that proper tpj will be loaded ;)

It's in testing mode, so it can be errors.

Next: Doing the same for EIH 5.1 combat table.

< Message edited by Daniel Amieiro -- 5/6/2018 10:59:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/8/2018 1:31:55 PM   
pzgndr

I will continue to monitor your efforts but I am not convinced that players are interested in changing the combat tables? Certainly it could be done, and for naval combat also, but this is not a priority for me going into the next v1.23 update.

After the v1.22.02 official update gets released shortly, I want to see how much community interest there is in this game. I thought I'd see more players returning to the game after v1.21.04, and there were some, but sadly most of the folks who were spirited supporters for so many years and left disappointed have failed to return. Maybe it will be better this time. We shall see.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to Daniel Amieiro)
Post #: 2
RE: EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/8/2018 3:52:57 PM   
76mm

Bill, I'm starting my first PBEM game right now, and there are other noobs in the game AFAIK, so hopefully there will be some kind of community...

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/8/2018 8:33:13 PM   
Daniel Amieiro

I only desire that the game have modding facilities.
The main idea is that the game can take the data. So the data can guide the game.

I see that you want an EIA game and a EIH game.
Well, EIH has different combat tables. I didn't make EIH. I only try to mimic EIH with current tool.

And current tool has a major bug: It takes the data for eian001.tpj. So if you want a scenario with one table (minors with morale X) and other with other table (minors with morale Y, for example), it simply can't be posible. For example, the current EIH scenario (eian002.ged) LOADS eian001.tpj... not 002.
So any mod that touches tpj changes program behaviour for all scenarios. It the C source code it should be a simple correction (where it opens the file name, that take the correct name...)

On the "outflank" chit it's another bug which can have many non desirable effects. I'm a spanish player. So i can't simply translate the game because it takes the "names" and not the data to take into account. A major issue if i wanted simply to translate the game to spanish, for example, withouth changing the combat

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
RE: EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/8/2018 11:34:43 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Amieiro
I see that you want an EIA game and a EIH game.
Well, EIH has different combat tables...

Not quite. I made separate campaign scenarios which are more faithful to EIA and EIH for setups, force pools, and political alignments of minors. That's one thing. Trying to make two separate games with different rules and tables is something else.

As you have pointed out, the combat tables in the .tpj files must be changed. This cannot be a simple game option to use one table or another, the player must select a specific scenario using them. Trying to change the game to accomodate different tables, getting it to work with pbem, and getting it to work with the AI is all more problematic. I've become savvy enough to edit the data files to create the EIA and EIH campaigns, and I hope to do so for the 1812 scenario, but my full understanding of the editor code and data file structure is lacking. Perhaps some day Marshall Ellis will return and be able to do something more.

quote:

I only desire that the game have modding facilities.

I need to make a couple of editor changes for the 1812 scenario. I agree, the game needs better modding ability. I may be able to find and fix where it takes data only from eia001.tpj. I hear you, there might be something I can do.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

Post #: 5
RE: EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/9/2018 12:31:43 PM   
Daniel Amieiro

quote:

As you have pointed out, the combat tables in the .tpj files must be changed. This cannot be a simple game option to use one table or another, the player must select a specific scenario using them. Trying to change the game to accomodate different tables, getting it to work with pbem, and getting it to work with the AI is all more problematic.

I agree. Combat tables are scenario-specific.
The main issue is the AI behaviour with these tables. I have modded so the new combat tables ADDS over existing tables (so the default chits are in the same positions, so these choices will be ok allways. For example, "outflank" is allways on first row and first column) of the table and with the same name as original.
What it would be lacking is that a "bombard" is a EIH tactic (in 4.0), the AI will never use it and it never has how to guess to use it..
Three main choices are for this (i prefer third):
1.- Give AI a random number for "the rest of tactics" asumming that the main "core" are allways ok (i'm respecting this, so ai will be competitive)
2.- Give a AI some guidelines in data to use it (data would be in files)
3.- Some algorithm for AI to select the tactic (for example, with their current knowledge (computer corp factors) and guessing (opponent factors) simulate 100 (or a big number) combats with random chits and select one of the best performances. -> It should be ok and strong enough for a human player.

< Message edited by Daniel Amieiro -- 5/9/2018 12:32:50 PM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 6
RE: EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done - 5/12/2018 10:05:19 AM   
Daniel Amieiro

TPJ loading correct file, fixed. It's a data in .GED file in offset 2542
The eainw002.ged has the same bug.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> EIH 4.0 COMBAT tables done Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI