Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/13/2018 4:55:33 PM   
NimrodX

I have a weather radar app that lets you do this with it's ruler tool and it's useful.

Sometimes you just need to know distance, sometimes you want a range circle around something.

I'm not sure if it could just be enabled all the time on the ruler, maybe at 50% transparency or something, or if this would annoy people and there would need to be an option to disable it or a separate hotkey for a different "version" of the tool.
Post #: 1
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/13/2018 5:06:50 PM   
Dimitris

Pretty sure you can do this already....?

(in reply to NimrodX)
Post #: 2
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/13/2018 5:37:35 PM   
NimrodX

You can create a circular area out of reference points, but that creates a bunch of reference points. I haven't seen a way to make the ruler tool draw a temporary circle using the measuring line as the radius.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/14/2018 7:05:48 AM   
wild_Willie2

I have to agree with Nimrod, the current feature of drawing circles by way of adding hundreds of waypoints is not the clearest way of doing this....

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to NimrodX)
Post #: 4
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/14/2018 9:57:06 AM   
TyphoonFr

In the meantime it can help:
To manage patrolling zones and circles, I use non-navigation zones.
A circle or patrol zone = a non-navigation zone
-You can use the RP of a non-navigation zone for a patrol mission but you have to check "Visible Reference points" and unchecked "Aircraft", "Ships", "Submarines" and "Land units"

-The advantage is that when you remove the non-navigation zone and "Visible Reference points" is unchecked then the "thousands" of RPs used to make the circle are deleted automatically, no need to select them.

-For a range circle, if you used a unit as the center of your circle, you can read the radius of the circle in nm using the "xxx nm from sel" info in the Map Cursor Databox.

Attachment (1)

Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 5
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/14/2018 10:04:28 AM   
TyphoonFr

You have assigned the RPs in your circle to a non-navigation zone, you can hide the RPs of the circle by unchecking the "Visible reference points". But you will not be able to use them for a patrol zone. convenient to display a range area.

Anchoring RPs to a unit allows the zone to follow the unit.

Attachment (1)

Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.

(in reply to TyphoonFr)
Post #: 6
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/14/2018 6:52:56 PM   
NimrodX

That seems like a good technique if you want to mark a circular area that persists for a long time.

Come to think of it, another thing I wish the ruler tool would do is just stay there until you hit Ctrl-D again. Like Hit Ctrl-D, click two points, the ruler tool mode exits and the ruler line stays until you hit Ctrl-D again. To make it disappear you hit Ctrl-D twice. This would be helpful with or without the radius circle.

(in reply to TyphoonFr)
Post #: 7
RE: Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool - 5/15/2018 8:33:41 PM   
SunlitZelkova

I just eyeball it, when using the ruler for certain measurements. Drawing on the map would be nice though, along with the ability to make drawings/notes/whatever relative to an object.

EDIT- Just realized what you meant. I still just eyeball it though, I don't feel the need for visual range/distance circles. That's just my opinion though.

< Message edited by FlyForLenin -- 5/15/2018 8:36:34 PM >

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin

(in reply to NimrodX)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Feature idea: draw circumference around ruler tool Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI