Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forum Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Forum Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forum Problem - 5/16/2018 2:28:52 PM   
Furbet

Is there a problem with private Wif Netplay Forum ?

Version 2.8.4 gets a Wif fatal exception when connecting to the forum (inside or outside the restore game).

Is anyone else getting this or is this a local problem ?

Thanks,

Fur

< Message edited by Furbet -- 5/16/2018 2:29:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Forum Problem - 5/16/2018 2:36:59 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Furbet

Is there a problem with private Wif Netplay Forum ?

Version 2.8.4 gets a Wif fatal exception when connecting to the forum (inside or outside the restore game).

Is anyone else getting this or is this a local problem ?

Thanks,

Fur

It's a problem at Matrix. Since yesterday the Netplayforum seems to be having problems.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 5/16/2018 2:37:18 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Furbet)
Post #: 2
RE: Forum Problem - 5/16/2018 7:35:58 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Gerry is having the problem but it comes up fine for me.

I'm not sure what is going on. It is at Slitherine's end - their server software or database.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
RE: Forum Problem - 5/17/2018 4:57:58 PM   
gw15

How many are having this problem or how many are not?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 1:54:18 AM   
Furbet

Confirmed as a problem for Furbet and Fonjo, both UK based.

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 5
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 2:12:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Apologies for the inconvenience this caused. We did have a server move and upgrade, and after investigating these reports, we think the in-game forum system was still pointing to the old database server. Could you please double-check now? It should now be pointing to the correct server.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Furbet)
Post #: 6
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 2:20:11 PM   
Furbet

Eric,

Thanks just tried, unfortunately still getting the same error.

Furbet

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 3:55:39 PM   
gw15

Erik - your helpdesk person asked me to change my Slitherine password. I did and it did no good. I really don't think the helpdesk understands the issue.

(in reply to Furbet)
Post #: 8
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 3:57:18 PM   
gw15

Also Erik - there are 2 more players other than the ones above and myself who are having the same problem. That makes 5 so far I know of.

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 9
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 4:36:04 PM   
Centuur

No, it didn't fix things for me too...

Peter

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 10
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 5:26:22 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I was able to log in successfully yesterday (Thursday) but it now fails for me too.

I am getting the error message (generated by World in Flames) that the connection to the NetPlay forum is lost.

I had this problem early Tuesday morning but it didn't happen by the late morning and all was well Wednesday and Thursday. But now it is Friday and I get the Monday's error message again.

====

EDIT: Technical details are:
The program establishes a connection to the NetPlay Server okay. It then tries to access/open the Seeking Opponents database by sending an empty message ('') to the forum using the method Post. That causes the fatal error.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 5/18/2018 5:33:38 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 11
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 6:29:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for the reports, I'm sorry it is not working yet. Our folks are still working on finding the problem and fixing it and are in contact with Steve.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 12
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 7:20:17 PM   
paulderynck

Yeah mine has quit working now too and up to now whenever Gerry asked me to check - it had worked.

Paul

Post #: 13
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 7:31:52 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Yeah mine has quit working now too and up to now whenever Gerry asked me to check - it had worked.

I see. Things are now equitable. Before it was working for some and not for others. This was fixed. Now it's not working for anyone. Equality is good, right?

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 14
RE: Forum Problem - 5/18/2018 7:39:14 PM   
FonjoFarley

quote:

Still can't log in to the forum. The mwif.exe error message pops up shortly after pressing the 'Log in to forum button'. Slitherine website help team asked me about possible account name conflicts as a first up response. Not relevant I believe as it hasn't changed.

A little downtime wouldn't be a bad thing but I think the Yanks are about to have a crack at declaring war and I'm having difficulty sleeping!

John

Post #: 15
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 12:47:18 AM   
davidachamberlain

I wanted to make sure that there is still awareness that Netplay forum is still broken.

It is no longer causing the exception, but it is still not allowing connection to the Seeking Opponents database - it can still not be found.

What is obvious to me is that the "server move and upgrade" was not completed successfully.

As an IT person, myself, what "should" be done is to back out of the server move and restore the service to the previous (un-upgraded) server and plan to do this right.

There "should" also be a proper test of the upgrade and move using a copy of the server to make sure the process is correct.
Also, the change should only occur when "all hands are on deck" to fix the problems.

In my company, making such a change on a Friday and then leaving it for the weekend would result in some people losing their job.

If this was mission critical, the president would be selecting people at the top for the first terminations.

Please suggest that the manager in charge of this get their act together.

Failing on what should be a pretty simple process makes your entire company look bad.

It is my hope that the service is restored quickly and notification is clear and once the proper upgrade and migration occurs, it has been well tested and works perfectly before switching to the new server.

Dave

< Message edited by davidachamberlain -- 5/22/2018 1:33:29 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 10:26:34 AM   
BrianJH

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

I wanted to make sure that there is still awareness that Netplay forum is still broken.

It is no longer causing the exception, but it is still not allowing connection to the Seeking Opponents database - it can still not be found.

Are you sure it's still not throwing the Transmit Post error? It's still happening for me.
It's just possible that in your case, it might be completely obscured behind the main Netplay Forum window, it was *almost* completely obscured when I tried it.

As seen below, the error window is just visible.

Brian.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 17
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 12:45:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

I'm sorry for the continued problem. Our server admin is working on it actively and we hope to have it fixed very soon - it just proved to be more complex than expected.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to BrianJH)
Post #: 18
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 2:02:51 PM   
gw15

Dave - I'm still getting the mad-except. No improvement or change in the error message.

Gerry

quote:

What is obvious to me is that the "server move and upgrade" was not completed successfully.

As an IT person, myself, what "should" be done is to back out of the server move and restore the service to the previous (un-upgraded) server and plan to do this right.

There "should" also be a proper test of the upgrade and move using a copy of the server to make sure the process is correct.
Also, the change should only occur when "all hands are on deck" to fix the problems.

In my company, making such a change on a Friday and then leaving it for the weekend would result in some people losing their job.

If this was mission critical, the president would be selecting people at the top for the first terminations.

Please suggest that the manager in charge of this get their act together.

Failing on what should be a pretty simple process makes your entire company look bad.

It is my hope that the service is restored quickly and notification is clear and once the proper upgrade and migration occurs, it has been well tested and works perfectly before switching to the new server.

Dave

Post #: 19
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 3:54:22 PM   
paulderynck

Likewise.

Paul

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 20
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 4:17:32 PM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrianJH

Are you sure it's still not throwing the Transmit Post error? It's still happening for me.
It's just possible that in your case, it might be completely obscured behind the main Netplay Forum window, it was *almost* completely obscured when I tried it.

Brian.

I still have the error window (same as you), but no longer getting the exception - though I go to the forum directly rather than trying to restore a Netplay game.

However, still not functioning.

From appearances, that level of resolution (for me anyway) appeared to happen Friday/Saturday, but it is evident that no-one worked on it any further over the weekend.

I just hope that more thought goes into changes like this. It should never have occurred just before a weekend. If this was my project, I would have been hauled up on the carpet in front of senior management and probably lose my job. Before I would get approval to make the change, I would need to have proven that my implementation of the change on the QA test environment was flawless.

Dave

(in reply to BrianJH)
Post #: 21
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 4:17:38 PM   
gw15

Erik,
I changed my Slitherine PW per instructions from the helpdesk. Do I need to change it back to the original PW?
FYI, I did change the NetPlayReg.txt file when I made the PW change. Is there another file to change the PW on?

Gerry

Post #: 22
RE: Forum Problem - 5/22/2018 6:53:10 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrianJH

Brian.

I still have the error window (same as you), but no longer getting the exception - though I go to the forum directly rather than trying to restore a Netplay game.

However, still not functioning.

From appearances, that level of resolution (for me anyway) appeared to happen Friday/Saturday, but it is evident that no-one worked on it any further over the weekend.

I just hope that more thought goes into changes like this. It should never have occurred just before a weekend. If this was my project, I would have been hauled up on the carpet in front of senior management and probably lose my job. Before I would get approval to make the change, I would need to have proven that my implementation of the change on the QA test environment was flawless.

Dave

The first time this happened was with Gerry and myself last tuesday evening at around 18.00 hours GMT. After that, it slowly seemed to spread to other players too. So it's now over a week that this problem exists...

Peter

Post #: 23
RE: Forum Problem - 5/23/2018 12:52:41 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

I am chasing this every day. It is unfortunately not within my ability to fix, but our server admins are continuing to investigate and troubleshoot and they, I and Steve are in communication. I've asked them to reach out to you all via this thread if they feel that would be helpful.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 24
RE: Forum Problem - 5/23/2018 2:58:10 AM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

I am chasing this every day. It is unfortunately not within my ability to fix, but our server admins are continuing to investigate and troubleshoot and they, I and Steve are in communication. I've asked them to reach out to you all via this thread if they feel that would be helpful.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, that is pretty scary.

These guys should be able to go back to where they were with things working. If they just tore everything apart and are starting from scratch, they are going about it the wrong way.

They should at least be able to restore the old server back to where it was before they started their migration.

After than, they can determine how to build the new one, properly test it, than try to back with it as the production server.

Dave

Post #: 25
RE: Forum Problem - 5/23/2018 12:52:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi folks,

We think this is now fixed based on our testing here. If you were experiencing this problem, could you please give it another try and let us know your results?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 26
RE: Forum Problem - 5/23/2018 12:57:47 PM   
Furbet

Confirming this now works for me,

Thanks Eric

Post #: 27
RE: Forum Problem - 5/23/2018 3:33:00 PM   
gw15

Seems to work now.

(in reply to Furbet)
Post #: 28
RE: Forum Problem - 5/23/2018 10:06:29 PM   
paulderynck

Yes it works now for me. I lay the blame for the root problem on the IPoIO factor.

The Innate Perversity of Inanimate Objects.

Paul

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 29
RE: Forum Problem - 5/24/2018 2:35:14 PM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi folks,

We think this is now fixed based on our testing here. If you were experiencing this problem, could you please give it another try and let us know your results?

Regards,

- Erik

It is resolved now.

Thanks for the follow through.

Dave

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Forum Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI