Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CV has 1 too many planes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CV has 1 too many planes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CV has 1 too many planes - 5/21/2018 4:50:12 PM   
dougmichel

I recently finished my CV airgroup resizing plan outlined in the Japan setup spreadsheet. I made an error along the way and one of the Kate airgroups has 1 airframe in reserve. I was able to get the unit loaded to the Ryujo which put the CV at 49 planes with 48 max. What will the effect of this be? Is there a way to send the extra airframe back into the pool or do I just need to wait for a plane to be destroyed? Will my carrier be able to launch any sorties with me being over?
Post #: 1
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 5/21/2018 4:56:12 PM   
BBfanboy

Extra reserve airframes are hung in the rafters so they do not interfere with operations. You can have up to 10% more active aircraft on your carrier than the stated capacity without any big detrimental effect on your operations, and up to 15% before launch is stopped. But it does mean that if another carrier in your fleet gets knocked out of operation, you cannot take aboard in-flight planes from the airgroups of the damaged/sunk carrier.

If the one extra aircraft really bothers you just resize the squadron again. You need one turn to order the resize and another turn in port for it to take effect.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dougmichel)
Post #: 2
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 5/22/2018 12:42:12 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Extra reserve airframes are hung in the rafters so they do not interfere with operations. You can have up to 10% more active aircraft on your carrier than the stated capacity without any big detrimental effect on your operations, and up to 15% before launch is stopped. But it does mean that if another carrier in your fleet gets knocked out of operation, you cannot take aboard in-flight planes from the airgroups of the damaged/sunk carrier.

If the one extra aircraft really bothers you just resize the squadron again. You need one turn to order the resize and another turn in port for it to take effect.

+

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 5/23/2018 6:22:41 PM   
rustysi

quote:

one of the Kate airgroups has 1 airframe in reserve.

The one extra A/C will have no detrimental effects on your ops. If it bothers you, you should see some arrows at the bottom of the air group that'll allow you to return the 'reserve' back to the pool. You may have to be in port to see/do this, not sure as I've only done it with LBA so far.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 5/25/2018 6:44:15 AM   
geofflambert

You can have up to 15%, in this case 7 extra planes, either operational or reserve, with no effect on operations.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 6/30/2018 6:46:43 PM   
AFBTD

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

THX Ranger; Interesting while i have always problem with chitose and chiyoda; noted that always when get a new CV i leave docked at the port that arrives there for days

mis amigos; EL FRENTE ATLETICO, LA PANDA DEL MOCO, OCHAITA FANS

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 6/30/2018 7:57:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You can have up to 15%, in this case 7 extra planes, either operational or reserve, with no effect on operations.

I believe that it's 10%, Gorn.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 6/30/2018 8:31:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

My understanding as well. Between 10 and 15% you get increasing numbers of fragments in strikes. At or beyond 15% there is not enough deck left to launch anything.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 6/30/2018 9:42:35 PM   
Lokasenna

You can go up to 115% (with no penalty AFAIK). At 115% capacity, operations stop - except for possibly fly-off transfers? I haven't checked the latter.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/1/2018 10:03:59 PM   
Chickenboy

Alright. I remember 10%. Others 15%. We need a source. Anyone got a line on the section in the manual or subsequent patch that hammers this out?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/2/2018 12:26:39 AM   
RangerJoe

7.0.1.1.1.1 emergency landings will not exceed 110% of capacity.

15.4.1.2 explains more:
no flight operations if more than 50 points of systems and flotation damage
only transfer missions allowed at greater than 115% of capacity (think of replenishment CVE groups, carrying LBA airgroups)
emergency landings will not exceed 110% of capacity
may never carry more than twice the capacity

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/2/2018 12:45:13 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

The old WitP was 110% before stopping operations. AE is 115%.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/2/2018 8:28:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

7.0.1.1.1.1 emergency landings will not exceed 110% of capacity.

15.4.1.2 explains more:
no flight operations if more than 50 points of systems and flotation damage
only transfer missions allowed at greater than 115% of capacity (think of replenishment CVE groups, carrying LBA airgroups)
emergency landings will not exceed 110% of capacity
may never carry more than twice the capacity

Thanks, RangerJoe. That cements it.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/2/2018 8:53:17 PM   
RangerJoe

You are welcome.

Also note that Carrier Capable but not Carrier Trained will suffer a higher rate of operational losses. (7.01.1.1) The same section also notes that more more than five groups may not be on a carrier. I do not know for sure if breaking a squadron down counts as multiple groups but it may.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 7/2/2018 10:32:15 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 6:44:39 AM   
Barb

Squadrons broken up to thirds count as 1/3 of the squadron. So you can actually have 4 squadron and 3 thirds and be still operable.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 1:29:08 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: dougmichel

I recently finished my CV airgroup resizing plan outlined in the Japan setup spreadsheet. I made an error along the way and one of the Kate airgroups has 1 airframe in reserve. I was able to get the unit loaded to the Ryujo which put the CV at 49 planes with 48 max. What will the effect of this be? Is there a way to send the extra airframe back into the pool or do I just need to wait for a plane to be destroyed? Will my carrier be able to launch any sorties with me being over?

Extra planes?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dougmichel)
Post #: 16
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 1:31:10 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: dougmichel

Extra planes?

More extra planes..USS Enterprise, 1941.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 17
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 4:07:44 PM   
BBfanboy

In-game, those are squadron reserve (spare) aircraft, up to 3 per squadron IIRC. They do not count toward the limit of 5 squadrons but I think they are part of the 115%.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 18
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 6:10:08 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Also note that Carrier Capable but not Carrier Trained will suffer a higher rate of operational losses. (7.01.1.1)

Not that I've ever noticed, although that is what it says.

quote:

The same section also notes that more more than five groups may not be on a carrier. I do not know for sure if breaking a squadron down counts as multiple groups but it may.

quote:

Squadrons broken up to thirds count as 1/3 of the squadron. So you can actually have 4 squadron and 3 thirds and be still operable.

Played a friend in a face-to-face Coral Sea scenario and he had multiple groups on-board (over 5) due to recovery efforts and that carrier still carried on air ops. Was probably within the parameters stated above.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 6:27:29 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Also note that Carrier Capable but not Carrier Trained will suffer a higher rate of operational losses. (7.01.1.1)

Not that I've ever noticed, although that is what it says.

quote:

The same section also notes that more more than five groups may not be on a carrier. I do not know for sure if breaking a squadron down counts as multiple groups but it may.

quote:

Played a friend in a face-to-face Coral Sea scenario and he had multiple groups on-board (over 5) due to recovery efforts and that carrier still carried on air ops. Was probably within the parameters stated above.

Fragments (from emergency landings and such) may count against the limit; I'm not sure.

It's also possible that simply the "first five" (contrast with the Final Five) would fly operations.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 20
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 6:45:15 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Fragments (from emergency landings and such) may count against the limit; I'm not sure.

I would think they do.

quote:

It's also possible that simply the "first five" (contrast with the Final Five) would fly operations.

This I doubt, but I've no experience in the matter. TBH the comments I made above about the five group limit were to show my friend how the game worked, as we were actually looking at each others' moves more or less. It was a learning game for him. I was surprised when the carrier operated its aircraft, and told him it must be in relation to the fragments. One thing for sure is that the carrier had more than five units or parts thereof on board. Oh, and to clarify a bit it was well under its maximum capacity for carrying planes.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 21
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/3/2018 10:00:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I would think they do.

quote:

This I doubt, but I've no experience in the matter. TBH the comments I made above about the five group limit were to show my friend how the game worked, as we were actually looking at each others' moves more or less. It was a learning game for him. I was surprised when the carrier operated its aircraft, and told him it must be in relation to the fragments. One thing for sure is that the carrier had more than five units or parts thereof on board. Oh, and to clarify a bit it was well under its maximum capacity for carrying planes.

Maybe once you have six different units, no matter the number of aircraft, flying ops cease because the pilots are fighting over the bunk space and magazines to read in the heads ...

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 22
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/4/2018 7:45:00 PM   
HansBolter

A clear example.
This is the air compliment this CV enters with (not B25s).
Between 110% and 115% over capacity and air ops are orange not red.

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 23
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/5/2018 1:22:16 AM   
geofflambert

I have not experienced problems with active planes at <115%. Reserve planes aren't even counted toward that figure, as far as I can tell. Look at the number on the ship info screen. The number of aircraft counted will be in yellow if above 100% but less than 115%. Reserve aircraft (so long as you don't overdo it) won't be included in that number. I just haven't had a carrier fail to send strikes as long as the capacity taken number was below 115%. If you have too many reserve aircraft, they will start registering in the capacity used number.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 24
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/5/2018 1:30:45 AM   
geofflambert

Let me put this another way, just to be clear. Reserve squadron aircraft that don't register in the capacity used number are ignored. They do not count as part of the 15% overage you are allowed while still being fully operational. I'm not recommending that you max out your numbers aboard, in a battle you may need some space to recover planes from sunk carriers, after all.

Post #: 25
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/5/2018 2:12:29 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Let me put this another way, just to be clear. Reserve squadron aircraft that don't register in the capacity used number are ignored. They do not count as part of the 15% overage you are allowed while still being fully operational. I'm not recommending that you max out your numbers aboard, in a battle you may need some space to recover planes from sunk carriers, after all.

I went back and checked one of my carriers and you are correct, Yorktown has 105 aircraft showing in total but more than that if you count in the reserve aircraft. My carrier based squadrons can only have three reserve aircraft each.
I do wonder if the spares could play into whether you can disband a fragment of another (emergency landed) unit and have the aircraft go into the carrier squadrons instead of being destroyed. Haven't had to do that yet so I don't know what would happen.

Post #: 26
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/5/2018 3:02:50 AM   
pbiggar

Can someone help me to understand why this CV is over the limit when the squadron seems to have less planes?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 27
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/5/2018 3:41:21 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbiggar

Can someone help me to understand why this CV is over the limit when the squadron seems to have less planes?

The air unit is not equipped with a carrier capable aircraft model. Each non carrier capable model airframe counts as 4 carrier capable airframes.

Alfred

(in reply to pbiggar)
Post #: 28
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/5/2018 2:50:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbiggar

The air unit is not equipped with a carrier capable aircraft model. Each non carrier capable model airframe counts as 4 carrier capable airframes.

Alfred

Once again Alfred has the sharp eye and a nugget of information that explains all! Several other players (me included) have learned in the past that you need to wait for the Corsair F4U-1A before you have a carrier-capable model.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 29
RE: CV has 1 too many planes - 7/6/2018 2:53:42 AM   
pbiggar

Thanks so much. They squadron is carrier trained, just not flying carrier capable planes yet. I await the good times with the Corsair 4FU-1A.

Much appreciated.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CV has 1 too many planes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI