Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/17/2018 1:31:25 PM   
Lecivius

Well, an American company, owned by a Belgium company, financed by a Lithuanian bank, who got it's deposits from a Saudi off-shoring cash...

This global economy thing makes my head hurt

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 4231
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/17/2018 3:06:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Well, an American company, owned by a Belgium company, financed by a Lithuanian bank, who got it's deposits from a Saudi off-shoring cash...

So a Muslim country is financing our vices? Awesome!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4232
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/17/2018 6:20:56 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Or, rather, they make a profit by financing it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4233
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 1:23:48 AM   
geofflambert

As you can see, a tiny baby bunny.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4234
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 1:24:24 AM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4235
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 1:25:11 AM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4236
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 5:50:18 AM   
BBfanboy

You do know that squirrels are bushy tailed rats that will eat meat (like baby birds) don't you?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 4237
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 3:49:27 PM   
zuluhour

Maybe you could get squabbits

Post #: 4238
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 4:28:33 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

You? A Canadian with access to Molson, Moosehead and LaBatt's? Drinking Budweiser or Bud Light? Pfft...yeah, right.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4239
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2018 4:50:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

You? A Canadian with access to Molson, Moosehead and LaBatt's? Drinking Budweiser or Bud Light? Pfft...yeah, right.

The three Canadian beers you list are also crap IMO. There are a huge number of craft brewed ales around, most of them cold filtered to keep some flavour. That said, most of my beverage investment is in good wines from all over the world.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4240
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 12:52:24 AM   
Will_L

File this one under Just Desserts...
My niece-in-law works for the Foreign Ministry in El Salvador and has been assigned to their Consulate in San Francisco for
around 10 years. She's always been the kind of person that takes advantage of things and not in a good way. Over the last
couple of years she's been leaving her job early, leaving things undone or foisting them off on her subordinates and now that
has come back to bite her.

She was reviewed and found lacking and is being transferred to a s**thole outpost in Tenosique, Mexico.
Basically the equivalent of being transferred to Alaska from a plum location for the US Armed Forces. Tenosique is
the closest "city" to a Mexican-Guatemalan border crossing that is highly popular with people smuggling "coyotes".
The railroad that runs from Tenosique to Vera Cruz (which was trashed by Hurricane Mitch and no longer functions)
is the preferred travel route away from the border area. She'll be providing support for those migrants that are
from El Salvador, Tenosique is also notorious for its anti-migrant sentiment so its unlikely to be a pleasant place
for her to be either.

She's due to report June 1st and hasn't left San Francisco yet, I've got a $100 bet with my wife that she resigns rather than
reporting, my wife thinks she'll take a leave of absence and request a transfer somewhere else. I actually feel sympathy for
her even though she truly deserves this.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4241
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 2:36:50 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

File this one under Just Desserts...
My niece-in-law works for the Foreign Ministry in El Salvador and has been assigned to their Consulate in San Francisco for
around 10 years. She's always been the kind of person that takes advantage of things and not in a good way. Over the last
couple of years she's been leaving her job early, leaving things undone or foisting them off on her subordinates and now that
has come back to bite her.

She was reviewed and found lacking and is being transferred to a s**thole outpost in Tenosique, Mexico.
Basically the equivalent of being transferred to Alaska from a plum location for the US Armed Forces. Tenosique is
the closest "city" to a Mexican-Guatemalan border crossing that is highly popular with people smuggling "coyotes".
The railroad that runs from Tenosique to Vera Cruz (which was trashed by Hurricane Mitch and no longer functions)
is the preferred travel route away from the border area. She'll be providing support for those migrants that are
from El Salvador, Tenosique is also notorious for its anti-migrant sentiment so its unlikely to be a pleasant place
for her to be either.

She's due to report June 1st and hasn't left San Francisco yet, I've got a $100 bet with my wife that she resigns rather than
reporting, my wife thinks she'll take a leave of absence and request a transfer somewhere else. I actually feel sympathy for
her even though she truly deserves this.

What prompted you to post this here? Unburdening? Seeking advice/supportive comments?
Not trying to be critical, just taken aback by the 'out of the blue' story.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 4242
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 4:02:50 AM   
Will_L

A bit of unburdening, a bit of appreciate what you've got because it can be lost easily if you take it for granted.
Advice she ignored, support she declined as well, now the price of pridefulness comes due.
OT Things to Ponder seemed like a good place.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4243
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 6:04:55 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

A bit of unburdening, a bit of appreciate what you've got because it can be lost easily if you take it for granted.
Advice she ignored, support she declined as well, now the price of pridefulness comes due.
OT Things to Ponder seemed like a good place.

Yeah, I get your drift. Most of us have some slo-mo train wreck about to happen in our peoplesphere and are helpless to avert the inevitable result.
Karma's really a *itch if you ignore her too long!

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 4244
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 1:37:10 PM   
MakeeLearn

Fiat 1100 Boat Car, Carrozzeria Coriasco from 1953

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4245
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 1:59:57 PM   
BBfanboy

Trust the Italians to make a sexy objet d'arte out of any kind of vehicle!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4246
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 6:01:46 PM   
johng5155

Are those headlights or torpedo tubes?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4247
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 8:02:06 PM   
Zorch

If it could only fly! It would have Land, Sea, and Air all covered.

(in reply to johng5155)
Post #: 4248
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 10:31:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: johng5155

If you call a boat "she", they are headlights. If you call the boat "him" (many countries do), they are covers for his torpedo.

(in reply to johng5155)
Post #: 4249
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2018 11:57:38 PM   
Will_L

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: johng5155

If you call a boat "she", they are headlights. If you call the boat "him" (many countries do), they are covers for his torpedo.

A cloaca'd torpedo? Stealthy!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4250
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2018 6:34:50 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Look who's all grown up!

And just like her that croc is stuffed!!!!

"Me and the 250 pound alligator named Casper that I work with at a Florida wildlife rescue."
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/7opliy/me_and_the_250_pound_alligator_named_casper_that/

Talk about a 'dead end' job!!!

< Message edited by rustysi -- 5/23/2018 6:36:29 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4251
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2018 6:35:54 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That gator looks very happy.

Yeah, until he isn't, then, lunch!!!

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4252
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2018 6:39:29 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That gator looks very happy.

I have a don't mess with million year old apex predator policy.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4253
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2018 12:49:21 AM   
patrickl

Ditto that.

Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4254
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2018 11:04:47 PM   
geofflambert

You know what bunnies keep in their homes to protect their families?

Warren pieces.

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 4255
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2018 11:08:24 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You know what bunnies keep in their homes to protect their families?

Warren pieces.

I am both horrified and in awe

Post #: 4256
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/26/2018 3:42:19 AM   
geofflambert

I love it when I elicit a post from someone who almost never posts. Look at me, I've got twelve thousand posts since 2010 and Will has 158 since 2000, which is before the last ice age.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 4257
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/26/2018 4:01:03 AM   
Orm

Then you should feel happy, 'cause this elicited me to post.

Just kidding. I just wanted to say that I got you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 4258
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/26/2018 4:02:20 AM   
Orm

And how is the birds? Are you supplying them with food and water all year around? We closed the shop for the year.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4259
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/26/2018 4:23:40 AM   
geofflambert

I keep feeders out all year round, but nearly half of them this time of year are for the hummingbirds. The Downy woodpeckers don't mind that at all, they are adept at slurping up sugar water from the humming bird feeders. On occasion I've thought I'd seen Hairy Woodpeckers at those feeders but I'm not absolutely positive. Probably just Downys. This time of year a major concern for me are the other pollinators. I've got a pretty good crop of milkweed going for the Monarchs, and plenty besides. My backyard and garden are not handled as though there should be perfect lawns there. I like clover because the bees like clover and I promote violets and other things as well. I'm always working on other flowering things as well. I've got a Red Buckeye tree going, which I understand the hummingbirds love, but though it is years old now it has yet to flower. The squirrels keep pruning it, which I suspect is not mere happenstance, but that is a very complicated subject. Once the Red Buckeye is mature it will produce nuts very similar in appearance to chestnuts, and the squirrels should love those. I have blackberry and raspberry plants going but between the birds and the squirrels I don't really get any. I have an old maple tree which I do not wish to hurry to it's end, but once it has I would like to grow four trees. A male and a female Paw-Paw tree, and a male and a female Persimmon tree. Those two species are exclusive as far as sexuality goes, and you need to have one of each to get a good yield. Additionally, having a pair from two different cultivars is supposed to increase yield. In the case of the persimmons, my plan is to have a male of a Japanese cultivar. This allegedly will maximize yield but part of the point is that the Japanese varieties produce really mushy fruits and I don't want that. So a hybrid of a Jap male and a North American female should produce acceptable fruits. Anyways, I'm growing all sorts of other flowering plants to attract and feed butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4260
Page:   <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI