Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Flight Tutorials

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Flight Tutorials Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flight Tutorials - 5/17/2018 10:27:10 AM   
SirAndrew

Hello!
Following the request by the Devs to scen authors (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4299665) I've created a Flight Tutorial series of scenarios.
I've included PDF documents with the text of the tutorials.
Hope you will enjoy them!

Here is Part 1, for Part 2 go below to the second post of this thread!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Flight Tutorials - 5/17/2018 10:29:08 AM   
SirAndrew

And here is Part 2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SirAndrew)
Post #: 2
RE: Flight Tutorials - 5/19/2018 10:05:21 AM   
TyphoonFr

Hi,
For Off-Boresight, in the quick summary of Missiles 101, you write:
"Using cues from the radar aircraft, a helmet-mounted sight, or off-board targeting data, the missile can now be undertaken in a 360º radius around the launch aircraft."

And in the Mega-FAQ (http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=2920#402), we find this:

"Are High Off-Boresight (HOB) Air-to-Air Missiles (AAMs) simulated?

There's a HOB flag for weapons and a Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) flag for aircraft. The two can but do not always combine. The simulator is modeling each of these factors as having a cumulative effect. So:
- Standard missile, guided weapon, gold torpedo: 40 degrees firing arc
- HOB missile: +20 deg.
- HMD: +30 deg.

So for example an early MiG-29 Fulcrum A with AA-8 Aphid [R-60TM] (HMD, no HOB) has 70-deg capability. An F-16C Fighting Falcon with AIM-9X Sidewinder (HOB) No HMD goal can shoot up to 60 deg. And a Su-27 Flanker with AA-11 Archer [R-73] Gold F-15I Eagle with Python 4 (HOB + HMD) can go all the way to 90 deg."

Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.

(in reply to SirAndrew)
Post #: 3
RE: Flight Tutorials - 5/20/2018 4:31:55 PM   
SirAndrew

Hello Typhoon!
I wrote Missiles 101 as a guide to new players to understand how AAMs work (e.g. to understand the difference between SARH and IR missiles), so I inserted references to how weapons work both in real life (thus the reference to HUDs and Helmet-mounted systems) and in the game.

Many High-Off Boresight AAMs are restricted to a maximum of 70-90°, but some very modern AAMs, like AIM-9X Block II, IRIS-T and Python 5, can shoot targets BEHIND the launching airplane (quoting for the Python: "has full-sphere/all-direction (including rearward) attack ability").

So you and I may be both right and wrong, many missiles can engage targets only up to 180° (90+90), but some up to 360°

By the way, I hope you like the tutorials and well done for the accuracy in spotting that!
Greetings
Andrea

(in reply to TyphoonFr)
Post #: 4
RE: Flight Tutorials - 5/21/2018 11:44:55 AM   
TyphoonFr

Hello Andrea,

I appreciate each of your scenarios, but also those of other members of the community (Strike tutorial, Submarine tutorial ...). They are detailed and the PDF is super convenient.

And right up to this tutorial,I thought that in the best case(HMD+HOB)the launching fighter was limited to a 90°arc.

But in Command,in which case can a plane fire a missile in its 6 hours?

When you talk about 360°,I agree,IRL, many modern LOAL missiles allow shooting 'over the shoulder', allowing launching fighter to fire on a target that follows it within six hours. illuminated in combination with helmet-mounted sights of the launching fighter, but also by a second plane.

http://www.ausairpower.net/API-ASRAAM-Analysis.html

I tried to reproduce it in Command, I could not do it.

Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.

(in reply to SirAndrew)
Post #: 5
RE: Flight Tutorials - 5/28/2018 8:33:48 PM   
SirAndrew

Hello Typhoon,
sorry for the delay, been a little busy!
Thanks, I'm glad you like these tutorials!
Great page about the ASRAAM, thanks!
I don't know if it's actually possible to reproduce that, I will try in the Editor.
But even if it's not possible now, I wouldn't rule that out in the future. The devs recently introduced CEC (Cooperative Engagement Capability), that is some ships (AEGIS for istance) can fire missiles without direct lock on target, so maybe in the future this will be possible as well...
Greetings
Andrea

(in reply to TyphoonFr)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Flight Tutorials Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI