Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Uncommon Valor to Hardcore of a Wargame for a Newb?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Is Uncommon Valor to Hardcore of a Wargame for a Newb? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Uncommon Valor to Hardcore of a Wargame for a Newb? - 6/4/2003 11:28:58 AM   
beezneez

i love strategy games but have never played one of these "hardcore" games. this one looks complicted, which is good, but will i be clueless? im a ww2OL vet, love europa universalis 1 and 2, played and loved most of the close combat series. but i've never really gotten into a turnbased game like this one. it does sound like what im looking for, which is more depth and more intricate. would i like this considering my experiance?

and i see its out of stock at website here, can i still even buy it?
Post #: 1
- 6/4/2003 11:43:58 AM   
Fred98

I played Close Combat online for 5 years – mostly against 2 specific opponents. And we thoroughly enjoyed discussing the battles afterwards.

I never imagined that a turn based game could hold that level of tension and excitement. And I have never had any real interest in naval matters.

But UV has captured me.

You can give orders of a more general nature or you can be a grog player and study each and every one of the million details in the game.

The long scenario lasts for 600 days but you can set the turn length to 1 through 7 days.

In a game against the AI, you can set the turn length to “Continuous” and then step in and give an order when you need to.

If you play a shorter scenario, and set the difficulity to the hardest level, the AI is very tough.

UV has broken new ground in using technology to make a better game.

The interface is unique and takes a while to master but this is a great wargame. In the history of computer wargames, UV will go down as a classic.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 2
- 6/4/2003 11:46:25 AM   
denisonh

You can still buy it.

They have had trouble keeping it in stock.

There is no doubt that it is a challenging game, and it models most the complexitites of running the SW Pacific campaign in terms of combat froces and logsitics.

As a result, it is tough to learn (A steep learning curve). It is unavoidable as a newbie to the game to avoid mistakes. Anybody who plays it has some good stories about these mistakes.

But there is nothing like a good UV PBEM campaign. I have been playing steady for almost a year, and with no sign of letting up.

It is addictive, and really gives you the fell you are running the campaign in the SWPAC. Yea, you have to pay attention to supply, fuel, Ship system damage whcih accumulates over time, air unit fatigue and morale, engineers and base support units, and other details.

The detail gives it both the flavor and appeal, as well as the comlexity.

Kind of like EU1 when your country gets so big that you would forget about a naval force and have it die off due to attrition, except the map is not that big. UV is turn based, so when you get a good "rythym" or process for doing turns, you miss less ansd less details as you play.

If you want to immerse yourself, read some of the AARs and make your determinations.

If you dislike detials, pass UV up.

If not, you won't regret it!

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 3
Buy it! - 6/4/2003 6:55:46 PM   
Bobthehatchit

There is a steep learning curver, but you do learn from your mistakes and there is a great feeling of achievement when carry out a successful operation.:D

Read the manual, play the sorter campaigns to get to grips with tactics, all the units and there capabilities.

:confused:

Its a great game, that will give you many hours of gaming fun.

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 4
- 6/4/2003 7:31:21 PM   
Sonny

There are a lot of details that you need to be careful of and some detail (individual pilots) which you do not need to keep track of and add to the flavor of the game.

The good thing is that it is turn based. So you are not zipping around trying to click here and there while the clock is running. Take whatever time you need for a turn.

Buy it, play against the AI for a medium sized campaign, don't worry if you get wiped out (you don't have to tell anyone and the computer won't tell) and then find a PBEM opponent. You most likely will get your tail kicked in your first PBEM game because a live opponent is smarter than the AI (o.k. except for me) but PBEM is when you really get to learn the strategy of the game. Playing the AI helps you learn the mechanics of the game.

ENJOY!!!

:)

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 5
- 6/4/2003 9:59:34 PM   
beezneez

i'm sold :) i went to comp usa but it wasnt it stock, so going to find it online. from browsing the forums i c lot of guys play it online which is great. multi player adds TONS of hours to games. thx for the reply's and i'll be back soon w/ newb questions im sure after game comes in mail!

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 6
- 6/4/2003 10:55:45 PM   
Von Rom

Also browse through some of the excellent AARs. They will help you get a sense of the thrill of the game.

Yes, the game is thrilling.

When your carriers first make contact with enemy carriers, and when your surface fleet runs into the enemy surface fleet, you will know what I mean ;)

When I first bought the game, I played the Allies in scenario 17 while I was reading the manual. I was able to jump in and play within 15 minutes. Similar to the historical situation, I was green and I made a lot of mistakes, but as I read more of the manual and gleaned information from this forum, I slowly improved my situation, and over time I was able to take the battle to the Japanese.

Once you get into the swing of things, the game is very immersive, it will have you thinking about strategy while you are away from the game, and it will leave you wanting WiTP. . .

Cheers!

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 7
- 6/5/2003 1:12:27 AM   
Drex

[QUOTE]Originally posted by beezneez
[B]i'm sold :) i went to comp usa but it wasnt it stock, so going to find it online. from browsing the forums i c lot of guys play it online which is great. multi player adds TONS of hours to games. thx for the reply's and i'll be back soon w/ newb questions im sure after game comes in mail! [/B][/QUOTE] I'm surprised guys play it online, maybe the shorter scenarios but I think you'll fins pbem suits UV just fine. Some turns are going to require some thought and planning and online play doesn't allow for that. Still, I imagine it would be gut-wrenching to say the least.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 8
- 6/5/2003 1:25:45 AM   
crsutton

Just pay attention to this forum. There are a lot of tips that you will pick up here that are not to be found in the manual. It is a great game and the community is excellent as well.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 9
- 6/5/2003 1:29:28 AM   
dpstafford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drex
[B]I'm surprised guys play it online, maybe the shorter scenarios but I think you'll fins pbem suits UV just fine. Some turns are going to require some thought and planning and online play doesn't allow for that. Still, I imagine it would be gut-wrenching to say the least. [/B][/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure that when he wrote "online", he meant PBEM. There really is no other way to play it. Against the AI, the micro-management is a little too much for an enjoyable experience. But for a PBEM game, I think the management level is just about right. So, beyond a quick learning session, one should quickly get into e-mail play.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 10
- 6/5/2003 6:58:10 AM   
Mr.Frag

Speed UV? You get 10 minutes to enter all your moves, then game packs it up and sends?

It would certainly add pressure to the already painful experience :D

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 11
- 6/5/2003 8:45:00 AM   
Mike_B20

If you play UV PBEM, try not to sink your opponents CV's, as otherwise your opponents may become discouraged and the games may not last as long as you'd like.
;)

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 12
- 6/5/2003 9:23:39 AM   
wobbly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike_B20
[B]If you play UV PBEM, try not to sink your opponents CV's, as otherwise your opponents may become discouraged and the games may not last as long as you'd like.
;) [/B][/QUOTE]

MIKE!! I can't remember playing you - this all sounds so reminisent of my own endevours. Everytime I play the opposition bombs the bung on my carriers - and down they go!

to put it another way: a' hole in bung

Either way - since this is built into the game to only effect me - sort of like Fortresses bombing only my ships - I have to give up after it happens - It's NOT FAIR.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 13
- 6/5/2003 9:51:24 AM   
PeckingFury

Have to chime in here and say playing as a newb against a human opponent is the way to go, have two ongoing disasters going as I type this but have learned more from watching other players than I could have against the AI. I have had the game for some time now and still and I still class myself as a beginner.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 14
- 6/5/2003 9:52:41 AM   
Mike_B20

Generally, I don't like house rules, but there is one I specify before all my PBEM games.

No sinking of MY CV's

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 15
- 6/5/2003 3:43:12 PM   
wobbly

"Generally, I don't like house rules, but there is one I specify before all my PBEM games.

No sinking of MY CVs"

Well you see, that is the problem with being a newbie in the game: you forget to stipulate the prudent house rules. Wont forget that one again!

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 16
- 6/5/2003 9:11:18 PM   
denisonh

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeckingFury
[B]Have to chime in here and say playing as a newb against a human opponent is the way to go, have two ongoing disasters going as I type this but have learned more from watching other players than I could have against the AI. I have had the game for some time now and still and I still class myself as a beginner. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is too true. I learned how to play (and in some cases what not to do) as the IJN from my PBEM experience as the USN.

Each of my opponents did some things well, and expreiencing each of those as the USN player game me a better view of how to play the IJN.

And after playing 8 PBEM games as the USN, I am now playing as the IJN and learning how to play the USN:D

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 17
Re: Is Uncommon Valor to Hardcore of a Wargame for a Newb? - 6/5/2003 10:07:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Beezneez,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by beezneez
[B]i love strategy games but have never played one of these "hardcore" games. this one looks complicted, which is good, but will i be clueless? im a ww2OL vet, love europa universalis 1 and 2, played and loved most of the close combat series. but i've never really gotten into a turnbased game like this one. it does sound like what im looking for, which is more depth and more intricate. would i like this considering my experiance?

I think the others posters have answered this. Suffice it to say that if you can handle Europa Universalis, you can handle UV and you'll have a heck of a lot of fun. :-)

quote:

and i see its out of stock at website here, can i still even buy it? [/B][/QUOTE]

We're in the process of moving to new store software, which unfortunately took longer than we expected. I believe you should still be able to find it at some retailers, but otherwise it should be available again in our store soon.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 18
- 6/6/2003 2:38:46 AM   
beezneez

wow, Matrix programmer responded to my post :) I've been thinking of getting this game for a while, and while it was not in stock at the website here, i bought it at amazon.com and it's on it's way. Can't wait for my first campaighn! Probably will end w/ the japanese invading LA :P I'm sure i'll pick it up fine, and the detail of the game sounds sweet. Seems the community here is great just like EU1 and 2. War and strategy gammers seem to be the best of the lot in the gaming community :)

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 19
- 6/6/2003 3:15:31 AM   
SoulBlazer

EU 2 is one my all time favorite games -- I still play it all the time and with friends online. The curve for that is not really harder then it is in UV. Read the manual, play the tutorial, do a few short battles aganist the AI, read the manual again and the FAQ here on the board, and then go into a PBEM game. It's a lot of fun. Matrix and Paradox are the best game makers out there right now, IMHO.

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 20
- 6/6/2003 3:44:05 AM   
Mr.Frag

Don't forget the patch notes! They are bigger then the manual now ;)

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 21
- 6/6/2003 3:53:48 AM   
Drex

Its never too soon nor ever too late to be introduced to an excellent wargame so don't let UV scare you. Like most things that look complicated, once you start playing it, the nuts and bolts will fall into place. I'm not saying its easy to master -its not_ but it can be learned quickly enough to start having fun. The skill comes later.

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 22
- 6/6/2003 9:32:56 PM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoulBlazer
[B].................. Matrix and Paradox are the best game makers out there right now, IMHO. [/B][/QUOTE]

You got that right! And the key (aside from great games) is GREAT support.:cool:

(in reply to beezneez)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Is Uncommon Valor to Hardcore of a Wargame for a Newb? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI