Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disband and refit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Disband and refit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disband and refit - 6/7/2018 2:44:57 PM   
DadeCariaga

Hi, all.

Playing the big game vs. AI. I'm the Soviets.

Questions:
On turn 1, the Soviets have huge numbers of encircled units. Is it advisable to disband some of the encircled units? Fortified regions, for example, or airbases (units that have no hope of escape). Does that deny the Germans some prisoners?

Many of my units are listed as "unready." Is it advisable to set them to "refit?"

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Disband and refit - 6/7/2018 3:08:18 PM   
Telemecus

I am not a Soviet player so may need to wait for more experienced types to answer, but here goes

Do disband units if they are going to be surrounded and made to surrender - especially if they have vehicles or expensive equipment
BUT there are rules to stop you disbanding - for example you cannot disband if a certain number of hexes from an enemy unit, withdrawing etc - so I doubt you will be able to (much)
HOWEVER you can reduce their ToEs to a minimum so at least replacements do not go there

Airbases and HQ units are not so much of a problem - they will not surrender but will rout out of the pocket always. So yes you will lose a few support personnel and fuel but nothing too important. You may prefer to use the points for something else more important.

Fortified units usually should be disbanded before they can be in combat - treat them as digging in rear lines units only (note there is more advanced discussion on whether they can be used in combat - but as a starter I would err on the side of disband - they are not very good in combat and they surrender not retreat).

Refit really should be for your best units to get the best equipment first, or units in rear to get to national morale quickly. Refit may help to get your unready units to combat ready if you need that - but if you can otherwise avoid it and use that only where your replacements will be better used that may be preferable.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 6/7/2018 3:11:09 PM >

(in reply to DadeCariaga)
Post #: 2
RE: Disband and refit - 6/7/2018 3:29:08 PM   
DadeCariaga

Thanks, Telemecus.

Any expert Soviet players care to weigh in?

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: Disband and refit - 6/7/2018 3:43:58 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: DadeCariaga

Thanks, Telemecus.

Any expert Soviet players care to weigh in?

You cant disband units that cant trace supply (this is, the ones that are shown in red if you have the option selected in the tab) or are more than five, iirc haxes away from a working rail or not farther than 3 hexes from an enemy unit (this is all to prevent players from "teleporting" their men to safety). Dont worry about airbases or hq units because they will be displaced once they come in contact with an enemy unit. You will lose some men that way, but nothing important. Regarding fortified zones, in general terms, it is better to let them dig in the rear and disband them when the enemy comes close, but in the early turns as soviet you really want anything that can hamper the german advance so I always let them as rearguards to be sacrified.

Regarding unready units just send them to the rearguard. No need to put them at refit this early in the game simply and plainly because you want your men in the front units, not in rearguard ones. Much later, if a unit becomes unready it might be worth to put it at refit, but not now.

The first turns as soviet is a race against the german juggernaut. Luckily, the AI has no idea how to make blitzkrieg and it will be a sluggish opponent, leaving you time to set up your defenses.

< Message edited by No idea -- 6/7/2018 3:45:55 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Disband and refit - 6/7/2018 8:03:34 PM   
Joneleth

quote:

ORIGINAL: DadeCariaga

Hi, all.

Playing the big game vs. AI. I'm the Soviets.

Questions:
On turn 1, the Soviets have huge numbers of encircled units. Is it advisable to disband some of the encircled units? Fortified regions, for example, or airbases (units that have no hope of escape). Does that deny the Germans some prisoners?

Many of my units are listed as "unready." Is it advisable to set them to "refit?"

Thanks.

Im not an expert but you cant disband isolated units or units close to enemy units, so if its a real pocket then its not an option, if its almost a closed pocket and you dont think you can escape and you can get far enough away from the enemy units, then yes disband as much as you can.

in regards airbases, never disband those, they have very few men and if you disband them you dont get them back, when the germans "kill" the pocket the airbase displaces into your lands.

Dont disband HQs unless its Corps HQs as army HQ and above doesnt come back if you disband.

Post #: 5
RE: Disband and refit - 6/8/2018 3:18:43 AM   
56ajax

As the Soviets, in the early turns assume many units will be isolated and forced to surrender.

So the first thing you do is Run.

Lower the Max TOE on all isolated units or those that will be isolated soon, to stop any reinforcements going to them. (You may be lucky to open a pocket temporarily but this delays judgement day for a turn.)

Lower TOE on all support units until your Armaments Points build up.

Lower TOE on Fortified Regions

If a pocket is open see if you can unassign support units from HQs

Don't disband Soviet Corps HQs...this happens automatically around T6

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Joneleth)
Post #: 6
RE: Disband and refit - 6/8/2018 4:20:15 AM   
thedoctorking

One thing about the Soviets in the early going is that you have _plenty_ of manpower. You have more than a million men in the pool and 175000 or so new guys coming in every turn (until you lose some manpower centers). So I usually keep everybody at 100% TOE in the early going. Guys who are isolated aren't going to draw any replacements anyway, and guys who are not yet isolated can throw troops at their attackers and maybe cause some casualties. Remember, if you are causing the Axis more than 30K casualties in a turn, you are ahead of the game, even if you lost a couple hundred thousand.

Armaments are a little dicier, so reassigning support units from HQ's that are about to be surrounded is a good idea if you can spare the AP's. You will have lots of uses for your AP's in the early going though, getting rid of crappy generals and reassigning units so as to keep them near their HQ's. If you lose a bunch of crappy old artillery and AT guns, you will shortly be able to replace them with fine new equipment rolling out of your relocated factories in Siberia.

And the most valuable support unit for the Soviets is the Sapper Regiment. If you have some experienced Sapper units with HQ's in peril, prioritize getting them out of the soup if possible. A Sapper Regiment with exp 45 or 50 is a very powerful asset. Sapper Regiments are made out of Manpower and AP's, so you can make a bunch of them in the early going, but they will take several months to become really useful engines.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 7
RE: Disband and refit - 6/8/2018 10:05:08 PM   
Stvitus2002

quote:

One thing about the Soviets in the early going is that you have _plenty_ of manpower.

That might be correct under a previous version. I am not so sure about the current Beta patch:
I am on turn 6 as the Soviets, and have barely 20k left in the manpower pool. So much
for the Russian manpower advantage. Bitter end scenario.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 8
RE: Disband and refit - 6/9/2018 12:12:23 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stvitus2002

quote:

One thing about the Soviets in the early going is that you have _plenty_ of manpower.

That might be correct under a previous version. I am not so sure about the current Beta patch:
I am on turn 6 as the Soviets, and have barely 20k left in the manpower pool. So much
for the Russian manpower advantage. Bitter end scenario.

Thats why you run and reduce TOES; why have units at 100% when the likely hood is that they will surrender. Save your troops for 1942 (when they will surrender). In the first 12 months the Soviets are a road block.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Stvitus2002)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Disband and refit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI