Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 12:11:53 AM   
Canoerebel

10/27/44

Port Blair: Allies overwhelm enemy garrison at Port Blair. Erik brought in part of a naval guard unit by air transport, but it wasn't enough.

How will this affect Erik's perception of his defensive line in Burma? I'm anxious to see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1441
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 12:29:25 AM   
Canoerebel

10/27/44

Ketoi: This good division took its lumps at Ketoi. Then it was pulled out in a single night, transported to Shikuka to recover. It's gonna take awhile.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1442
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 1:05:52 AM   
Canoerebel

My P-38 squadrons at Shikuka are correctly set to provide LRCAP. I can't figure out why none of them helped provide cover for the BB Alabama TF. Dunno.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1443
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 1:41:59 AM   
Canoerebel

10/27/44

Burma Theater: This graphic is meant to show why I think Port Blair is key.

Up until now, I haven't pushed hard in Burma. Erik has a vast army forward. If and when his MLR cracks, the Allies may be able to beat up on the army, unhinging everything. Erik may have defenses in depth, but I don't know yet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1444
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 4:00:38 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The lack of counterbattery fire could indicate a supply shortage.

Or, more likely to me, range. If your artillery is firing from out of the range of his, his won't shoot back.

There are some Allied units that in one of my games I just had to turn off from bombardments. None of the British "Medium" regiments were allowed to shoot. The range on their guns was too short and they just ended up getting shredded by massed counterbombardments.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1445
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 4:35:25 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

My P-38 squadrons at Shikuka are correctly set to provide LRCAP. I can't figure out why none of them helped provide cover for the BB Alabama TF. Dunno.

I use LRCAP all the time. However, there is always the chance that it won't show up. At that range it will show up 90% of the time so I would not give up on it.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1446
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 10:26:11 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The lack of counterbattery fire could indicate a supply shortage.

Or, more likely to me, range. If your artillery is firing from out of the range of his, his won't shoot back.

There are some Allied units that in one of my games I just had to turn off from bombardments. None of the British "Medium" regiments were allowed to shoot. The range on their guns was too short and they just ended up getting shredded by massed counterbombardments.

Agreed, but if he was getting counterbattery fire previously and those same guns are no longer firing it would either be supply or disablements that are preventing fire now.

CR is likely correct in guessing disablements. The siege has gone on long enough now that the accumulation of disablements will be affecting the defender.

Accumulated disablements. combined with high disruption and low morale are what eventually trigger the collapse.

Appears to me that with forts reduced to three and the lack of serious counterbattery fire that the collapse may be imminent.

Bringing in a fresh division may be what finally triggers it.

Hans

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1447
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 10:29:10 AM   
Encircled

No way that Erik hasn't got that coast covered.

It cost him thousands of men when he lost there to Jocke.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1448
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 3:35:56 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

No way that Erik hasn't got that coast covered.

It cost him thousands of men when he lost there to Jocke.

Unless he is gambling that CR doesn't have the ships to invade there after invading so heavily in the Kuriles.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1449
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 3:38:50 PM   
Lokasenna

Going back to your attack on Ketoi... I seem to recall you were only going to attack with a portion of your troops? The adjusted AV for your guys in the screenshot is very, very low.

As a general rule, I never send combat engineer units into the attack with few other units participating. They recuperate slowly compared to divisions, which you can split, and they don't have as many devices to spread the hurt around either.

Your raw AV is much higher than his. You need to figure out why your adjusted AV is so low. Is it leaders? Disruption/fatigue? There's no harm in waiting a week or more before your next attack.

You could find bringing in an HQ unit beneficial. IIRC, GetAssista did some tests a while back and even an underprepped (though I think not unprepped) HQ's presence provided a boost to adjusted AV.

I think you may need to employ your beasts on ground bombing missions - drive up his disruption and supply usage.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1450
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 3:58:10 PM   
Canoerebel

Only two of the four divisions present attacked. Disruption and fatigue were fine. The combat engineer unit is resting and will be for some time to come. The 4EB are hitting the ground troops there daily (when weather cooperates, which is most of the time).

I'm not sure why the adjusted AV is so low. The raw AV is higher and most of the units are 100% prepped.

Short term, I plan to rest the ground troops while to let the bombardment TFs and bombers work on things. I have a feeling that Erik's troops are in trouble, but my guys need some rest.

I'll look into the HQ situation.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1451
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 4:20:33 PM   
HansBolter

I've found that attacking a large siege stack with a single division + engineer + tank + all the artillery on the hex can be effective as long as you get sufficient odds to allow the engineer to reduce the forts,

What the minimum odds are is still a question I have not answered.

I had one attack set up as described reduce forts with 1:9 odds.

I had another fail to reduce forts at 1:14 odds.

For a large siege like this and what I encountered at Tinian, I like to have multiple independent engineers to be able to rotate.

I had three combat engineer regiments at Tinian so the ability to rotate and rest speeded up the siege reduction process.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1452
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 10:42:12 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Ketoi: Enemy shore-gunfire sporadic and ineffective - a far cry from the opening days of the campaign.

Allied ships at Ketoi are largely without air cover, as Death Star pulled close to Shikuka yesterday. There's not much shipping - a few AKs, a few DDs, and some patrolling minesweepers and ASW. Safety comes from the threat of LRCAP - Erik is understandably reluctant to send in strike aircraft that might get savaged by DS CAP. Indeed, DS is coming back this way today or tomorrow, depending on the loading speed of some amphib ships at Shikuka set to follow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1453
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 10:49:41 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Burma: The first of a number of raids targeting 2nd Tank Division in open terrain. Overall, the attacks probably disable more than 50 tanks. But the attacks fail in the chief objective - to slow down this division and keep it from reinforcing the tuckered out Japanese stack near Toungoo. 2nd Tank Division will arrive before the Allied deliberate attack at turn's end.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1454
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 10:58:21 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Kunashiri Sweeps: The first of a series of Corsair sweeps against a large enemy CAP concentration. This is a good start - no Aliied losses (though some damaged planes undoubtedly go down on the way home).

I wanted to test a theory that Erik may be having trouble warding off sweeps by good fighters. The Japanese air force is large and strong but showing some signs of fighter fatigue.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1455
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:00:43 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Kunashiri: Round 2 goes well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1456
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:03:00 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Kunashiri: Round 3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1457
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:05:03 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Kunashiri: Round 4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1458
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:06:54 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Kunishiri: Round 5

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1459
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:10:16 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Kunishiri: Round 6 - the last of the day.

Best sweep results of the war, so far. Erik isn't employing his Randy fighters, yet. He'll be able to fight hard and effectively for a long time, but things are beginning to change. I'm still having to marshall my fighters carefully, as the pools are low. But the new F4U-1D is making a difference...and the P-51D comes online in three days.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1460
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:14:50 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Ketoi: Pretty effective for Mitchells targeting troops in rough terrain behind three forts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1461
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:22:57 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Burma: 2nd IJA Tank Division arrives in time to bolster the enemy stack, but the Allied attack nevertheless comes off pretty strong. Three enemy divisions are gasping now. I don't think Erik has large reinforcements close by. My guys will need a day or two of rest before attacking again. Definitely cracks here. Erik can't afford to have four good divisions forced to retreat.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1462
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:28:41 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Ketoi: Pretty effective bombardment. The destruction of one enemy unit is another indication that the enemy stack is gassed.

I have another big combat engineering unit at Shikuka 100% prepped for another target. I think I'm going to bring it over to reinforce the attack. I don't think disablements will be high due to the Amphib Force HQ - prior experience doing this gives me some hope. I think a fresh combat engineer unit would really get the ball rolling toward reducing this fortress.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1463
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/13/2018 11:32:22 PM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Ponape: Erik didn't offer much opposition at Ponape, having long since withdraw the bulk of his troops. Still, it's fun to see the base fall. This is "low-handing fruit," but low-hanging fruit is helpful since there are others high up, well defended, like Ketoi and the other Kuriles.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1464
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/14/2018 12:25:50 AM   
Canoerebel

10/28/44

Burma: There are indications the Japanese MLR is pulling back. I don't think Erik has had stacks back in the Thai jungle building forts. So can he pull back in good order and establish a new line or has he waited too long, leaving his units in position to get beat up on?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1465
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/14/2018 1:11:34 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

10/28/44

Ketoi: Pretty effective bombardment. The destruction of one enemy unit is another indication that the enemy stack is gassed.

I have another big combat engineering unit at Shikuka 100% prepped for another target. I think I'm going to bring it over to reinforce the attack. I don't think disablements will be high due to the Amphib Force HQ - prior experience doing this gives me some hope. I think a fresh combat engineer unit would really get the ball rolling toward reducing this fortress.

I think it is also really telling that you had only 44 guns vs. 461 and still managed to destroy more of his guns than he did yours. Either some of his arty is low on supply or he has a lot of smaller guns that you can outrange. Keep hammering!

Re: Ponape - really like that island as a base to start slapping Truk around. Have had good luck catching Auxiliary vessels like AS/AV there.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1466
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/14/2018 1:41:17 AM   
ushakov

quote:

Erik isn't employing his Randy fighters, yet.

Just going to leave this here for someone more humorous than me to comment on.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1467
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/14/2018 6:12:29 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ushakov

quote:

Erik isn't employing his Randy fighters, yet.

Just going to leave this here for someone more humorous than me to comment on.

He's just picky about having a suitable target for their attentions. Memphis Belle, maybe, when it comes over from the ETO.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 1468
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/14/2018 1:56:53 PM   
Canoerebel

"Randy" - hey, that's the kind of thing that would set off Grey Joy. Remember the whole "bushes" thing?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1469
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/14/2018 1:57:55 PM   
Canoerebel

10/29/44

Ketoi: When a turn begins with a YMS TF dealing with an enemy threat, it has to be a good omen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI