Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the breakthrough bonus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the breakthrough bonus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the breakthr... - 6/15/2018 11:56:18 PM   
Elessar2

Hopefully this will be a simple one.

Allow the breakthrough bonus to be modded, both in terms of how many points you get, as well as when it becomes possible.

For the base scenarios you can keep it effectively the same as it is now, 60% (since it is only possible after your progression reaches 40%). Just let us mod it down (I've read others here who would prefer 20-30%).

Likewise with when a breakthrough becomes possible-I personally prefer 50%+. If however the bonus is lessened some might like it to become possible earlier.

And allow variations on a country by country basis (some could be assumed to have a stronger scientific/engineering base). This could also include modding the chance of a breakthrough.

That is all.
Post #: 1
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/16/2018 11:13:32 AM   
PvtBenjamin

Respectfully, I find the research process quite efficient as it stands.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 2
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 4:57:02 PM   
sPzAbt653

Same here, I don't see where tinkering with it would be a necessary improvement.

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 3
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 7:46:07 PM   
GiveWarAchance

I'm just wondering if people think research goes too fast in game compared to historically.
It seems in my games the tech is about two years faster like with jets replacing prop planes and Joseph Stalin tanks in mid 1943, and I heard in MP games it is 4 years ahead of historical with important techs maxed out in 1941 (which is why I avoid playing MP like the plague).

I think I would prefer tech at half that speed to avoid jumping quickly to end game upgraded units.
I am just a rubbish noob player but I think this is worth considering.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 8:34:27 PM   
PvtBenjamin

quote:

ORIGINAL: GiveWarAchance

I'm just wondering if people think research goes too fast in game compared to historically.
It seems in my games the tech is about two years faster like with jets replacing prop planes and Joseph Stalin tanks in mid 1943, and I heard in MP games it is 4 years ahead of historical with important techs maxed out in 1941 (which is why I avoid playing MP like the plague).

I think I would prefer tech at half that speed to avoid jumping quickly to end game upgraded units.
I am just a rubbish noob player but I think this is worth considering.

I have never played an MP game (I've played many) that important techs (that need 5 chits) were maxed out in '41. I find the game research follows history quite well and am fine if it is a little faster (historically possible). When I first started I did't appreciate the importance of S&I which has a major impact on research speed. Understanding the impact of S&I and "catch up" on research is one of the most important aspects a player needs to know.

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 5
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 8:58:56 PM   
DerJager

quote:

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin
I have never played an MP game (I've played many) that important techs (that need 5 chits) were maxed out in '41. I find the game research follows history quite well and am fine if it is a little faster (historically possible). When I first started I did't appreciate the importance of S&I which has a major impact on research speed. Understanding the impact of S&I and "catch up" on research is one of the most important aspects a player needs to know.

Well, tell me all about S&I and "catch up" on research then, Private B. I haven't completed all of my forum reading yet, so it is still something that I definitely need to know.

"The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the man who sits in it."
- Manfred von Richtofen

Post #: 6
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:11:19 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Well DerJager, its quite complicated but luckily its in in the manual which you can read.

(in reply to DerJager)
Post #: 7
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:19:08 PM   
DerJager

Ah, I see that you are a man who assumes, Private B. In this case, that I can actually read.

"The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the man who sits in it."
- Manfred von Richtofen

Post #: 8
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:21:00 PM   
PvtBenjamin

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 6/17/2018 9:46:23 PM >

(in reply to DerJager)
Post #: 9
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:28:05 PM   
PvtBenjamin

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 6/17/2018 9:45:27 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:41:06 PM   
DerJager

The assumption that I can read is actually a rather safe one, Private B. I can actually read. Thank you for directing me back to the manual. I clearly see the lesson there that I was missing, and will be revising my research habits accordingly.

Thanks for your help.

A fan of Mexico, eh?

- Manfred von Richtofen

Post #: 11
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:45:09 PM   
PvtBenjamin

OK Glad I could help.

Not really a soccer fan. I watch the World Cup some, my apologies if I was offensive.

(in reply to DerJager)
Post #: 12
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:56:15 PM   
DerJager

Absolutely no offense taken, Private B. Whereas I am not new to gaming by any means, I am new to SC, so I do have a lot to learn to close the gap on the professionals. I should have paid more attention to the User Manual. In many of the games in my past experience, what is written in the User Manual is nearly useless. That is obviously not the case with SC, although I am sure there are still things that must be discovered via the game engine.

I still have a lot of refining to do to my play. I am currently engaged in an MP game as the Axis which is still pretty much over my head. I am sure that I will ultimately lose, but my goal is to have vastly improved by the time I do.

Thanks again.

- Manfred von Richtofen

Post #: 13
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 9:59:27 PM   
PvtBenjamin

I never read manuals. "do as I say not as I do"

Understanding the S&I and research is very important to this game which you'll find in the forum.

I went many games wondering how my opponent progressed do far.

Its a fun game

enjoy

(in reply to DerJager)
Post #: 14
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/17/2018 11:38:47 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin

Respectfully, I find the research process quite efficient as it stands.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Same here, I don't see where tinkering with it would be a necessary improvement.

Please reread the OP, which was simply to give modders more options. My proposal would involve no changes whatsoever to the vanilla research.

Post #: 15
RE: Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the brea... - 6/18/2018 12:12:48 AM   
sPzAbt653

There are already a bunch of parameters that can be changed in the Editor, I have done so for a mod, so there is no need to tinker further, is what I am saying.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Simple (?) wish on research options, incl. the breakthrough bonus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI