Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 8MP Strategic bombing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 8MP Strategic bombing Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 8MP Strategic bombing - 6/2/2018 2:09:47 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
N.B. - The word 'paradigm' is sometimes used instead of 'meta'.

From a historical angle, did the Germans possess enough intelligence to conduct strategic bombing? And would the Luftwaffe have been able to execute precision bombing of identified factories, even with air superiority?

From a non-gaming ordinary vocabulary paradigm would be a much better word. Are we seeing a paradigm shift?

Certainly industry bombing was part of the original Barbarossa directive. And I have HLYA to thank for first pointing out the less well known history of industry bombing against the Soviet Union. For example there were precision raids on the Gorky Automobile Plant see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Gorky_in_World_War_II

Having visited Soviet era factories I think it is worth avoiding the confusion with the type of factories we see in the West. In Britain a Lancaster bomber for example was made in over 100 factories in dozens of cities with hundreds of suppliers and their suppliers all in a distributed supply chain. The final assembly plant is not the thing you should be making a comparison with. In the Soviet Union everything from the casting of steel through the ball bearings and glass manufacturer down to the final assembly were made in one vast plant. Hence they had a scale beyond any factory seen commonly in the west. These were not just located in cities, often they were cities. And before the war you could borrow books from a London library describing where these factories were. Some of it the Soviet Union itself publicised before the war - but even after evacuations you could not hide a city. Even if it was not for aerial reconnaissance there was always enough mobility in populations, even in the wartime Soviet Union, for local knowledge to get out. This knowledge was always available to the Axis.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 361
RE: 8MP - leverkuhn for South - 6/4/2018 1:34:50 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
Another week and another Russian poisoning attempt! The perfidy of the Soviet side knows no bounds as its assassination squad tampered with thedude357's Ragu sauce preventing them from doing their whole go in turn 34. Many thanks to Crackaces for stepping in to cover during the temporary absence. Meanwhile doctors say thedude357 will be back on the front line next week and indeed could be flying in their recon plane again by tomorrow. Those in the know know the sacking was for the bungled hit.

The poisoners have been tracked down by intelligence. The Führer has granted the request by our Southern Commander to personally lead the retaliation raid. While thedude357 is temporarily absent leverkuhn will be deputising for the South command from turn 43.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 362
RE: 8MP - leverkuhn for South - 7/2/2018 4:25:05 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

In T44, the last tank division of the Soviets upgraded to a tank brigade at last. I was quite sad, I had hoped it to stay as an anachronism :(

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 363
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 7/2/2018 4:59:52 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist
In T44, the last tank division of the Soviets upgraded to a tank brigade at last. I was quite sad, I had hoped it to stay as an anachronism :(

I understand the in-game reasons why this is desired. But strictly speaking going from a division to a brigade should be called a downgrade?

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 364
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 7/2/2018 5:12:26 PM   
Elijah

'XXX Division was re-organized as the XXX Brigade' would be even better.

Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 365
8MP T50 - 9/1/2018 5:05:20 PM   
Telemecus

A welcome to chaos45 who joined the Soviet team and is their South commander from turn 50

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 9/1/2018 5:06:38 PM >

(in reply to Elijah)
Post #: 366
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 9/1/2018 5:06:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

A welcome to chaos45 who joined the Soviet team and is their South commander from turn 50

Chaos is an excellent name for a Soviet general!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 367
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 9/1/2018 5:37:44 PM   
chaos45

As well Chaos is what I have taken over apparently. Its like welcome to your new command you have a couple corps encircled your current defense line is compromised and your chain of command and control is a total mess lol.

Only good news is we might have another week or two of mud for you to get the situation under control.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 368
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 9/10/2018 8:31:51 PM   
M60A3TTS

The Soviet side scores a double win today as Lictuel returns while we wrap up turn 52 and Chaos slides into the role of Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations. There he can advise on some of the more adventurous notions coming from our beloved Comrade Stalin.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 369
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 9/13/2018 2:10:40 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Meanwhile, a discussion on discord

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 9/13/2018 2:11:45 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 370
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 9/13/2018 6:29:43 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Meanwhile, a discussion on discord

'ffs' stands for 'Free Franco's Spanish' - the Blue division.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 371
RE: 8MP - tank division to brigade - 10/2/2018 10:40:34 PM   
Telemecus

Congratulations to chaos45 for taking over the Supreme role on turn 54 and welcome to thedoctorking on the Soviet team!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 372
RE: 8MP - game announcements - 10/10/2018 5:15:03 PM   
Telemecus

As was reported on the other AARs for this game, EwaldvonKleist and M60A3TTS stood down from taking turns for the Soviet team on turn 53. The game file was forked in turn 54, but only one of the forks will be continued. We can confirm there is a new Soviet team line up that will be announced shortly for the continuing game along with some other changes to the game set up. Watch this space for future announcements!

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 10/10/2018 6:22:21 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 373
RE: 8MP - game announcements - 10/11/2018 11:13:02 AM   
SparkleyTits

Well that certainly didn't take long!

Good luck to everybody

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 374
8MP - Crackaces v M60A3TTS - 3/26/2019 4:02:20 PM   
Telemecus

In the main Eight Multi Player Team Game from Soviet turn 54 the Axis team will be Crackaces and the Soviet team will be M60A3TTS.

Because there are three kinds of wargamer who play WitE. Those who can count. And those who cannot.

Best of luck Crackaces and M60A3TTS

Quote of the Game

[Reproduced with permission]

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 8MP Strategic bombing Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI