Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1942 May 29

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1942 May 29 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/26/2018 2:22:03 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Keep the Intel monkey tips coming!

So you have it running now?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 691
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/27/2018 1:15:43 AM   
zuluhour

In the words of my favorite American agent: "and loving it".
Really got used to your first version last game, not sure i would
go back to spiral notebooks again. I already used a screen shot
from the new version in my AAR, but do not have good feel for
everything you have done to it. Love the hints.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 692
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 2:01:33 AM   
witpqs

Gonna be a few days before the next turn. Any requests for screen pics, info, etc?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 693
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 10:54:31 AM   
zuluhour

I would like to see the Chittagong Ledo Rangoon box.
Maybe with a Intel monkey assessment of Rangoon Magwe
Ledo areas. Typing on my pad sorry for typos.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 694
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 12:01:37 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Gonna be a few days before the next turn. Any requests for screen pics, info, etc?

Strategic Map ?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 695
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 12:33:44 PM   
Drakanel

quote:

I would like to see the Chittagong Ledo Rangoon box.
Maybe with a Intel monkey assessment of Rangoon Magwe
Ledo areas. Typing on my pad sorry for typos.

I concur. I'd like to see a map of that zone. Also of the nearby India cities.

Do you foresee a move in that direction, a push for India? Or do you think that the window for an India campaign has closed for your opponent?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 696
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:26:59 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

Overview map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 697
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:27:22 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

Ledo area. There are about 1,200 Chinese Army AV at Ledo.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 698
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:27:47 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

The western area of China (excluding portion on Ledo map). No infiltrators at the moment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 699
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:28:09 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

Central area of China. The infiltrators here are contained for the moment. The real potential problem is a crack in the defenses of Sian.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 700
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:28:36 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

The remaining outback in China. That base force has marched all the way from Sining I think it was.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 701
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:29:01 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

The front in Australia. Daly Waters has only a commando unit to protect it from para assault but will take in substantial forces withdrawing toward it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 702
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 3:29:23 PM   
witpqs

1942 May 29

The second line and reinforcements in Australia. Armoured units are moving up from Alice Springs, Cloncurry (after a TOE upgrade in 2 days) and Normanton. Infantry and artillery are also moving up from Alice Springs. Alice Springs and Cloncurry are also being built up as 4EB bases; Cloncurry has twice the engineers so should get on line sooner.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 703
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 6:00:27 PM   
dave sindel

Thanks for all the maps George.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 704
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 6:55:56 PM   
RangerJoe

Thank you for the maps.

Are you thinking of withdrawing some Chinese forces into the mountains to be supplied from India? I am referring to the restricted ones that get trashed. Rebuilt, supplied, and trained then come out of the mountains into the hill and rough country to harass the Japanese?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 705
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 10:37:07 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Thank you for the maps.

Are you thinking of withdrawing some Chinese forces into the mountains to be supplied from India? I am referring to the restricted ones that get trashed. Rebuilt, supplied, and trained then come out of the mountains into the hill and rough country to harass the Japanese?

The mountain bases is the last redoubt, so to speak. As much supply as possible is already being flown into China from India and that amount will increase as more and more C-47's come on line.

The Chinese Army units now at Ledo are likely the only ones which supply will help to grow unless and until the Allies are able to relieve the siege of China in a major way. The plan has been to use those units to safeguard that area of India so Allied units can invade somewhere behind Burma. If the Empire continues to thwart our plan by not sending forces across the Burma-India frontier we will go to plan B. Possibly - not sure - plan B will consist of sending those Chinese Army units into Burma after they have been fully fleshed out. There they can threaten, tie up units, etc while the Allies open another front.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 706
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/28/2018 11:52:53 PM   
RangerJoe

I was thinking that if you have units where most if not all of the squads and devices were disabled, then it might be better to move them where they could get supply from India and, if nothing else, be able to "repair" the disabled devices and squads without taking supply from Chinese bases. I can understand if a player does not do so since it will take a long time and things might move faster than it would take. Since I have played only the computer, I have never been in such a position to do so.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 707
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 12:09:32 AM   
zuluhour

It looks like he wants China done. That is a lot of effort on Paoshan. If I am correct you should have ample time gather strength.
Supply for him will begin to get really tough in monsoon season and I expect the Chinese to pull off some decent defensive
actions for you. Some will be unexpected I'm sure. Any signs of prep for India? I think I asked you that a short time ago and
you thought he may make use of a lightly defended port for a beach head. I think he is to timid for this. Everything looks methodical
yet conservative, in my eyes. I know it's a lot easier looking in. Why he did not land directly on Darwin or at least Wyndham
is puzzling to me. This is where I get my conservative/timid view.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 708
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 12:10:19 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I was thinking that if you have units where most if not all of the squads and devices were disabled, then it might be better to move them where they could get supply from India and, if nothing else, be able to "repair" the disabled devices and squads without taking supply from Chinese bases. I can understand if a player does not do so since it will take a long time and things might move faster than it would take. Since I have played only the computer, I have never been in such a position to do so.

The only supply flowing from India to China now is via aircraft.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 709
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 12:15:46 AM   
zuluhour

I missed the unit at Akyab. That is the most conservative rout to India. Did he walk there?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 710
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 1:53:40 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I missed the unit at Akyab. That is the most conservative rout to India. Did he walk there?

Yes, and long enough ago I am constantly surprised no enemy unit has appeared at Cox's Bazar. If he is coming to India at all it is either when he is good and ready or via another route.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 711
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 8:18:18 AM   
Rafid

If he is serious about northern Australia he might not push into India at all. In your last game he played fairly conservative in terms of expansion and besides him beeing more aggresively in China this time he still is. So if Australia is major undertaking, he might not start a second push beyond the historical perimeter (though one might argue that a 1944 sucidal push into China is historical: Operation U-Go).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 712
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 8:32:39 AM   
AFBTD

quote:

1942 May 29

Overview map.

Anda ya¡...sera 1944

mis amigos; EL FRENTE ATLETICO, LA PANDA DEL MOCO, OCHAITA FANS

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 713
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 2:25:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFBTD

quote:

1942 May 29

Overview map.

Anda ya¡...sera 1944

I don't understand? He has cleaning up to do, including most of the Gilbert Islands. Even so, he's got everything else historical and has not suffered any major losses.

(in reply to AFBTD)
Post #: 714
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 2:37:20 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

If he is serious about northern Australia he might not push into India at all. In your last game he played fairly conservative in terms of expansion and besides him beeing more aggresively in China this time he still is. So if Australia is major undertaking, he might not start a second push beyond the historical perimeter (though one might argue that a 1944 sucidal push into China is historical: Operation U-Go).

I don't know the limits of his objectives in Australia. He is serious about *northern* Australia but it's easy to smash in there and be ready to pull out important forces to save them when called for. He probably will at least send forces as far as they can go without meeting major resistance. When they do meet major resistance, what then? Does he reinforce? It's pretty hard to supply an overland offensive there. Does he spring 'the next' invasion into the Perth area or some other area? I could only guess and I'm not that good at guessing. I need to be on guard against this invasion and potentially plus the next one (just for the sake of argument, Perth area) pulling too many forces away from southeastern Australia. Weakening defenses there fatally would court disaster.

China is sort of its own beast versus historical in this game. Pressures there certainly reflect much of history, but the game's difficulty with certain things versus history makes it far more possible for a Japan player to conquer China and then redeploy large forces elsewhere. I want to put major pressure on the Empire to redeploy some forces before that happens and in that way shift the initiative. That's why summer the planned summer invasions instead of major reinforcements in areas still vulnerable.

(in reply to Rafid)
Post #: 715
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 3:16:17 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

quote:

Yes, and long enough ago I am constantly surprised no enemy unit has appeared at Cox's Bazar. If he is coming to India at all it is either when he is good and ready or via another route.

Guessing on my part of course.

1) Australia is a diversion.

Using a mock push in Australia to get you to divert US forces there as opposed to concentrating them for an earlier launch against the Gilberts or Marshalls. Further delays you advancing on Port Moresby if you are worried about Australia.

If Australia were the real intention I would have suspected a push from Perth as you noted / Darwin as a primary target - its not / perhaps even the North Eastern coastal landing supported from Port Moresby (already!). He had the Carriers there to do it and you could not have responded.

2) India

As I recall the last game - Cahm Rhan Bay , Vingh, French Indo China was essentially a hollow shell once you landed there. Further he did not have China in hand.

My guess is he wants China fully in hand - especially non coastal areas - to free up troops.

He is not over extending early in Burma - he is waiting for re-enforcement.

If he was going to "over extend" and push India early he would have already secured Port Blair and his "left shoulder".

I would guess he is coming in due time but not at the expense of hollowing out French Indo China nor being open to a back door counter like Cahm Rhan Bay - last game.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 6/29/2018 3:17:23 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 716
RE: 1942 May 29 - 6/29/2018 3:33:39 PM   
witpqs

Thanks!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Guessing on my part of course.

1) Australia is a diversion.

Using a mock push in Australia to get you to divert US forces there as opposed to concentrating them for an earlier launch against the Gilberts or Marshalls. Further delays you advancing on Port Moresby if you are worried about Australia.
My current thinking on Port Moresby is to leave it for clean up operations long after bypassing the area.

If Australia were the real intention I would have suspected a push from Perth as you noted / Darwin as a primary target - its not / perhaps even the North Eastern coastal landing supported from Port Moresby (already!). He had the Carriers there to do it and you could not have responded.

2) India

As I recall the last game - Cahm Rhan Bay , Vingh, French Indo China was essentially a hollow shell once you landed there. Further he did not have China in hand.
I did keep the mountains and therefore tie up some additional troops (I mean additional beyond garrison requirements) but he was able to pull out many after deciding the mountain defenses were not going to crack on any practical time scale.

My guess is he wants China fully in hand - especially non coastal areas - to free up troops.
Agree. He's given early attention to breaking into the mountains but I have given early attention to fortifying that area. I am also hoping my cadre of Chinese Army units sent to India to thrive on Allied supply will provide some counterbalancing pressure.

He is not over extending early in Burma - he is waiting for re-enforcement.

If he was going to "over extend" and push India early he would have already secured Port Blair and his "left shoulder".

I would guess he is coming in due time but not at the expense of hollowing out French Indo China nor being open to a back door counter like Cahm Rhan Bay - last game.
India is strong enough now I think most likely any operation into India would be to grab Calcutta both to use the industry there and to deny to the Allies whatever is destroyed there after eventual recapture.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 6/29/2018 3:34:30 PM >

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 717
1942 May 30 - 7/1/2018 5:50:25 AM   
witpqs

1942 May 30

INVADED
Amphibious TF 161 unloading at Bima
Amphibious TF 50 offshore of Kangean
Batavia, Changsha, Padang are also invested.

CHANGED OWNERSHIP
Boela is occupied by the Japanese
Japanese forces CAPTURE Bima !!!

Overall
• No carrier sightings.

• Withdrew a large number of air groups one day early today just to make certain I don't screw up and lose a zillion points by being late.

West Coast USA, Alaska, Hawaii
• Enemy sub activity near San Diego.

Pacific
• Enemy sub activity near Pago Pago.

• Pago Pago port is now size 4; with the size 5 air base stockpiles are now unlimited.

New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, New Hebrides, Solomons, Papua New Guinea, New Britain
• Enemy sub activity near Brisbane, Melbourne, Hobart.

• Another one bites the dust.
quote:

Ground combat at 65,129 (near Nookanbah)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 318 troops, 0 guns, 68 vehicles, Assault Value = 35

Defending force 42 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 34

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 34 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), disruption(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
8th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
Derby RAN Stn Base Force

• The Broome RAN Stn Base Force is facing destruction tomorrow or the next day.

• Fuel and Supply are unloading at Melbourne.

• Obviously KB1 will replenish before further operations, but what then? Perth? NE Australia? Adelaide?

Philippines

DEI, Dutch new Guinea, Borneo, Malaya
• Got one!
quote:

Sub attack near Soerabaja at 57,101

Japanese Ships
xAP Kashima Maru, Shell hits 17, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Stingray

xAP Kashima Maru is sighted by SS Stingray
SS Stingray attacking on the surface

• And another!
quote:

Sub attack near Boela at 80,110

Japanese Ships
xAKL Heiwa Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PB Shonon Maru #11

Allied Ships
SS Snapper

SS Snapper launches 2 torpedoes at xAKL Heiwa Maru
PB Shonon Maru #11 fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

China
• Trying to keep our grip.

India, Burma, Thailand, Indochina
• The air group withdrawals have, uh, 'minimized' naval search activity from India. Replacements will be flying as soon as they learn to fly and get planes.

Japan, Korea, Manchuria, Russia

Complete combat report attached.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 718
RE: 1942 May 30 - 7/1/2018 11:54:39 PM   
zuluhour

• The air group withdrawals have, uh, 'minimized' naval search activity from India. Replacements will be flying as soon as they learn to fly and get planes.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 719
1942 May 31 - 7/4/2018 2:09:55 AM   
witpqs

1942 May 31

INVADED
Amphibious TF 50 unloading at Kangean
Amphibious TF 114 offshore of Kaimana
Batavia, Changsha, Padang are also invested.

CHANGED OWNERSHIP
Gorong is occupied by the Japanese
Japanese forces CAPTURE Kangean !!!

Overall
• No carrier sightings.

• CV Wasp has arrived at Balboa and is proceeding to Pearl Harbor with 3x DD.

• A number of TOE's upgraded today so the units affected should begin upgrading this next turn.

West Coast USA, Alaska, Hawaii
• Enemy sub activity near San Francisco.

• Empty troop convoy continuing peacefully back toward San Francisco.

Pacific
• A sizable convoy plying waters we do not want resupplied or reinforced.
quote:

Sub attack near Kusaie Island at 127,120

Japanese Ships
xAK Kohoku Maru
xAK Nishimi Maru
xAK Kunitu Maru
xAK Zuiko Maru
xAK Tamashima Maru
xAK Tateisi Maru

Allied Ships
SS Silversides

SS Silversides launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Kohoku Maru
Silversides diving deep ....
Sub escapes detection

New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, New Hebrides, Solomons, Papua New Guinea, New Britain
• Enemy sub activity near Brisbane, Aoba Island.

• Done.
quote:

Ground combat at 64,128 (near Derby)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 3686 troops, 32 guns, 17 vehicles, Assault Value = 101

Defending force 112 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 88

Japanese assault odds: 88 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
115 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 21 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
146th Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
Broome RAN Stn Base Force

• Fuel and Supply unloading at Melbourne.

Philippines

DEI, Dutch new Guinea, Borneo, Malaya
• Hanging on and making the Imperial chase them into the marshes!
quote:

Ground combat at 49,88 (near Singkep)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4732 troops, 40 guns, 21 vehicles, Assault Value = 160

Defending force 709 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12

Japanese adjusted assault: 134

Japanese assault odds: 134 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
364 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 23 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 3

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
5th/B Division

Defending units:
Palembang Cdo
Riouw Cdo
PBg-Ld AA Afd
Palembang ML Base Force
Lahat Cdo

• Missed the escort.
quote:

Sub attack near Gorong at 82,112

Japanese Ships
PB Takunan Maru #5
xAK Syoto Maru

Allied Ships
SS Perch

SS Perch launches 2 torpedoes at PB Takunan Maru #5
Perch diving deep ....
PB Takunan Maru #5 fails to find sub, continues to search...

China
• They are grinding us down but the process is slow in most places. The next place they will advance is Tienshui; a reinforcement unit is on the way in case there is time but likely not. It will not get them much.

• Enemy sub activity near Trivandrum, Karachi.

• The aircraft/troop convoy is one hex from Karachi with DL 3/3.

Japan, Korea, Manchuria, Russia
• Keeping them nervous in home waters.
quote:

Sub attack near Iriomote at 91,62

Japanese Ships
xAK Karachi Maru
xAK Ohio Maru
PB Kanko Maru

Allied Ships
SS Grampus

SS Grampus launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Karachi Maru
PB Kanko Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

Complete combat report attached.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1942 May 29 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI