Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/28/2018 2:17:53 AM   
Footslogger

Saw this article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-leaked-photo-shows-that-china-is-building-a-supercarrier-that-could-rival-the-us-nimitz-class-carriers/ar-BBL9yaX?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/28/2018 2:38:26 AM   
RangerJoe

Interesting.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/28/2018 7:07:33 AM   
JeffroK

I still think it will take the PRC many years to match the expertise of 80+ years of running a CV fleet, they'd be more like the Kreigsmarine sending out "convoy raiders"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/28/2018 7:26:46 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

I still think it will take the PRC many years to match the expertise of 80+ years of running a CV fleet, they'd be more like the Kreigsmarine sending out "convoy raiders"

Don't underestimate them. I am sure they have downloaded all the USN training/maintenance manuals and operational guides. Their people seem to have a fanatical devotion to duty that may overcome their experience disadvantage - i.e. they will work hard with less grumbling than the average matelot!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/29/2018 6:23:47 PM   
joey

Don't forget China's submarine building program. It, too, rivals most of the world's nations. China is truly becoming a world military power.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/29/2018 7:17:16 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: joey

Don't forget China's submarine building program. It, too, rivals most of the world's nations. China is truly becoming a world military power.

Regional.

The Moose

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/29/2018 7:33:46 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

As part of the consolidation of power and growth of the Ming Dynasty, Zheng was tasked with exploring the Western Seas, essentially the Indian Ocean region. By all accounts, not only was the scale of his seven voyages impressive, but the size of the Chinese ships dwarfed anything that had been seen before – and it would take centuries before they would be matched. National Geographic writes, “All the ships of Columbus and da Gama combined could have been stored on a single deck of a single vessel in the fleet that set sail under Zheng He”.[2]
Even more staggering are the details of his armada. One historian has noted that the size of his fleet would not be matched until after World War Two. A BBC report states that Zheng’s first voyage in 1405 had a fleet larger than the combined fleets of all of Europe.[3]

Not only were the ships larger than any before them – they were better-equipped, including being outfitted with magnetised compasses and watertight bulkhead compartments. It would be hundreds of years before European ships would carry similar technology. Reports also noted that the fleet had its own vegetable patches onboard.

an earlier Chinese admiral

Maybe they want to go back to these days. But at least the Western explorers were allowed to keep a couple of things that he wasn't.

― Julia Child

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/29/2018 10:53:32 PM   
jamesjohns

A Nation with 1 billion people, nuclear weapons, a large commitment to developing science and engineering, a large industrial base (kind of the worlds assembly line in a way), large number of new factories and industrial technologies that have been build in the last 20-30 years, a record of taking/copying ideas and technology from other countries,

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/29/2018 11:46:15 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

. . . a record of taking/copying ideas and technology from other countries,

That sounds like old Rome, England/Great Britain in its Golden days, and the United States in its heyday. That is better than other places where they won't try new things as long as it is peaceful. But in China's case, I think that they are trying to migrate from an Economic and Ideological war to be able wage an actual Offensive War.

― Julia Child

(in reply to jamesjohns)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 1:34:59 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: joey

Their nuclear submarine program is best described as "troubled". Their diesels are adequate , but hardly world class. China, like Iran , does have a world class propaganda machine. China DOES have potential , but to achieve it's declared goals must overcome China's greatest enemy. China itself. If it can overcome corruption and poor management practices that make it unable to produce high performance jet engines , let alone effective nuclear submarines. You can say about China the same thing people used to say about Brazil. "IT's the country of the future....and always will be".

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 2:33:54 AM   
rockmedic109

For a communist country, they are better capitalists than we {Americans} are. This dichotomy was prevalent throughout my two trips. I've had the absolutely best service in a restaurant while in China.....and the utter worst service imaginable. Modern construction one street and the next street over were buildings I do not know how they were still standing. Meticulously placed paving stones laid for a sidewalk that had a sudden 6' drop to a doorway without any warning or safety rails. Store owners that would come out and chase off a fake monk trying to sell blessings to save us from the fraud. Every square inch of space has some form of advertisement on it.....in a country that is supposed to be communist. People bending over every which way to help us when they realized we had adopted a Chinese child and businessmen on a plane yelling at us because our daughter threw a tantrum on a plane.

I do not know what the future holds for China, but change is coming. I am hopeful that the change will be for the better.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 6:31:39 AM   
BBfanboy

One of their conundrums is that being an industrial powerhouse imposes a huge price on air quality. I am not sure they will solve it any time soon. Their resilience is that they can afford to lose a million people a year to pollution and still keep operating.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 6:52:13 AM   
RangerJoe

A million? Probably more than that. I read where the one child policy ended up with 75 million more boys than girls. Unless they share, they have a problem - unless they are used as cannon fodder.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 7:56:13 AM   
JamesM

Interesting, I remember reading in the in the manual for Harpoon when it first came out in the 90's an interesting perspective on ships of the Soviet Navy. When western mariners went on boards Soviet ships they had a very low opinion on damaged control systems on Soviet ships. I wonder how good the da,age control systems are on the ships of the Chinese navy, they can meat out some punishment but can they take it?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 8:00:04 AM   
CaptBeefheart

China happens to be run by a party calling itself the Communist Party, but it isn't small-c communist by any stretch.

I see it running into the same problem as Korea: You can only get so far by copying, and actually creating new and useful things is not easy. After decades of very fast growth, Korea is on track to have lower GDP growth than the U.S. this year and that might not change anytime soon.

Cheers,
CB (ex-Commander Cody--Slitherine just merged my accounts)

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 12:23:17 PM   
BBfanboy

No one expects the Korean economy to top the US!

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 12:57:14 PM   
MakeeLearn

China releases video of 56-boat drone swarm, near Hong Kong, by Yunzhou-Tech. The drones make the shape of China's aircraft carrier.

"Tests of strike groups involving up to 1,000 drones are underway, technicians told reporters."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 1:08:37 PM   
Lecivius

I notice almost ALL the technology is from the Gerald Ford class....

I wonder how that happened?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 1:39:21 PM   
m10bob

If history has shown us anything...it should be to never under-estimate the abilities of a determined foe.

On the other hand...it is one thing to build a huge navy...but it also requires a commitment to provide the support to keep it moving.

A former submariner from this very forum used to say..."There are two kinds of ships in the ocean...Submarines...and targets."

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 8:02:56 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The Nimitz Class

Yeah, were on to the Ford class.

quote:

I notice almost ALL the technology is from the Gerald Ford class....

I wonder how that happened?

Easy enough to know much of what were up to if you read. I mean I've know about some of the innovations for some time now. Electro-mechanical cats, laser type cannon, new arrester gear, and more talk of 'rail guns'. These are there for the eye to at least see the surface of, what's down below is another story.

quote:

A former submariner from this very forum used to say..."There are two kinds of ships in the ocean...Submarines...and targets."

Pretty sure they all say that.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 8:49:15 PM   
mind_messing

I hope the irony of our American forumites being dismissive of the military capabilities of an Asian nation is not lost on anyone given the fact that we all play WitP...

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 8:58:25 PM   
RangerJoe

We just know how well they burn . . .

edited for spelling.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 7/31/2018 1:42:14 AM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 9:07:21 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I hope the irony of our American forumites being dismissive of the military capabilities of an Asian nation is not lost on anyone given the fact that we all play WitP...

I'm not being dismissive, I see the things China is doing/attempting with great misgivings. Just don't think see could become a global CV power overnight. Its not an easy task to build/field such forces, as we know from playing this game.

Not only is China building military muscle, she's involved in a great many other things that could lead to a greater and easier domination of territory in her backyard. Infrastructure projects, like road building into remote regions, and an 'inland' port are just a couple. On the surface these are to open trade... Where it could lead from there....

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 23
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 10:18:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I'm not being dismissive, I see the things China is doing/attempting with great misgivings. Just don't think see could become a global CV power overnight. Its not an easy task to build/field such forces, as we know from playing this game.

Not only is China building military muscle, she's involved in a great many other things that could lead to a greater and easier domination of territory in her backyard. Infrastructure projects, like road building into remote regions, and an 'inland' port are just a couple. On the surface these are to open trade... Where it could lead from there....

I looks to me that they want to get all the nations around them hooked on easy trade with them to create a sort of dependency. Then it will be easy to pressure them on the geopolitical stuff. Look how all the Airlines have caved in on use of the word Formosa, because China does not recognize it. Just one more tiny step toward isolating those proud people.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 10:25:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I looks to me that they want to get all the nations around them hooked on easy trade with them to create a sort of dependency. Then it will be easy to pressure them on the geopolitical stuff. Look how all the Airlines have caved in on use of the word Formosa, because China does not recognize it. Just one more tiny step toward isolating those proud people.

They did not like it when the United Kingdom had their opium trade with the Chinese people and I am sure that other countries had a similar hook . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 25
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/30/2018 10:26:32 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

No irony and maybe they do more in the future. But right now I doubt they have the ability to throw even one ID onto another continent and support it. That makes them a regional power.

I've said it before: Ships only exist to affect operations ashore. A giant carrier? That's nice. But for what?

The Moose

Post #: 26
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/31/2018 12:50:51 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

No irony and maybe they do more in the future. But right now I doubt they have the ability to throw even one ID onto another continent and support it. That makes them a regional power.

I've said it before: Ships only exist to affect operations ashore. A giant carrier? That's nice. But for what?

Intimidation.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 27
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/31/2018 2:52:32 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

No one expects the Korean economy to top the US!

I'm talking growth, as in GDP growth rate, not GDP. The Korean economy used to be like China's with 7-10% growth per year. Eventually it dropped to 5% and this year maybe 2%.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 28
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/31/2018 3:00:11 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

A big troop ship like the US Navy did in 1945, but only after Japan surrendered.

quote:

I'm talking growth, as in GDP growth rate, not GDP. The Korean economy used to be like China's with 7-10% growth per year. Eventually it dropped to 5% and this year maybe 2%.

The bigger the economy gets, the harder it is to keep that high growth rate up. The easy things have been done then it gets harder and more expensive.

― Julia Child

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 29
RE: OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? - 7/31/2018 3:04:54 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Intimidation.

If they want to intimidate they should build credible SSNs. A CV is only intimidating if you have the rest of the packages to go with it.

The Moose

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Bigger Than The Nimitz Class? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI