Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't view PBEM map when the game is over

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can't view PBEM map when the game is over Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't view PBEM map when the game is over - 6/13/2001 2:21:00 AM   
Fuerte

With 5.01 I can't view PBEM map when the game is over, and also I can't view the opponent's remaining units, because it asks the passwords. This must be by design, but why? Now we should exchange our PBEM passwords, but we use the same password for all games... so this spoils the PBEM game. Or... do I still get the turn back and can view the map then?

Post #: 1
- 6/13/2001 4:20:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The alternative is that an unscroupulous opponent hits "surrender" and goes to teh end of the game screen and examines the whereablouts of all your units, then reloads the turn and plays withthe knoledge of the status and location of all your forces. Chcnaging your password each game is a small price to pay to avoid that.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 2
- 6/13/2001 4:33:00 AM   
ruxius

I too had this problem with a friend of mine...but the game seemed corrupted since the beginning..when loading I saw the message "Override security warning..?" I always answered YES and the game went on ..but at the end I saw the statistics..my opponent couldn't neither see the map neither load the game ... boh ?

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 3
- 6/13/2001 10:38:00 PM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Chcnaging your password each game is a small price to pay to avoid that.
I don't agree. I didn't know about the surrender security hole. One should never be forced to reveal passwords. If SPWAW could read the game password from clipboard (with Ctrl+V) or if SPWAW could load the PBEM game directly from a command line option, then we could have separate password for each game, because the PBEM helper can generate passwords and save them for each game. But now the password has to be typed manually, so in practice you can't have a separate password for each game, and you can't reveal the password to your opponent. So it would be much better to remove the password checking from the game result view. The best solution would be the following: 1) The game ends (all the turns have been played or I surrender). I send the files to my opponent. 2) My opponent have to enter his password. He can view the results. He sends the files back to me. 3) I have to enter my password to be able to view the results.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 4
- 6/14/2001 3:46:00 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

The best solution would be the following: 1) The game ends (all the turns have been played or I surrender). I send the files to my opponent. 2) My opponent have to enter his password. He can view the results. He sends the files back to me. 3) I have to enter my password to be able to view the results.
Actually, the best solution is to trust. I have used the same Password since SP I PBEM-games and I have shared it recently to my opponents so they can view the map after the battle. I also know their passwords. There are several agreements in my PBEM-games that require trusting each other and this system has worked very, very well...no cheating has occurred. If someone cheats, you do not have to play against that opponent again, right? If one is too afraid cheating and thus cannot trust human-opponent...stick to games against AI. Though you cannot avoid 'cheating' opponent even then ;) Colonel von Blitz [ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Colonel von Blitz ]

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 5
- 6/14/2001 6:01:00 PM   
Fuerte2

quote:

Originally posted by Colonel von Blitz: Actually, the best solution is to trust. I have used the same Password since SP I PBEM-games and I have shared it recently to my opponents so they can view the map after the battle. I also know their passwords. There are several agreements in my PBEM-games that require trusting each other and this system has worked very, very well...no cheating has occurred.
No. A better solution for you would be to remove the game result password checking completely, because then you didn't have to enter those passwords for both players. The best solution for you would be to use the unsecure PBEM. I don't understand why you use passwords if both players know them? The best solution for the rest of us would be the normal password checking that happens in every normal turn. Why the game result password checking is different from the rest of the game?

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 6
- 6/18/2001 12:45:00 AM   
Fuerte

Bump! I hope this gets fixed for 5.2, because this is real letdown for me.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can't view PBEM map when the game is over Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI