Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/2/2018 2:01:16 PM   
Taxman66

I disagree. The 'lesser' victories can only be achieved by hitting the campaign end date.
I doubt any game that has been played would actually end in anything other than a decisive victory, one way or the other.

I'm not sure how Mika came up with those values, perhaps they could be tweaked a bit.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 331
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/2/2018 3:01:19 PM   
MrLongleg

I think an ELO based system would make a lot of sense. I could also live with the simple Tennis tournament system...

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 332
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/2/2018 7:29:03 PM   
nnason

Does having different win/loss values for the different levels of victory make sense.
Example:
Draw is a tie no points or .....
Minor/Tactical worth .50
Major worth .75
Decisive worth 1????

Thoughts?

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 333
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/2/2018 8:32:48 PM   
Sugar

Perhaps it would be the easiest way to create a world championship like tourney, with a group stage and folowing k.o. system. The ranking of the first tourney could be used to setup the groups. This way the numbers of games could be limited to 6 (3 during group stage, 3 k.o.), and no difficult calculations had to be made. The sides of each game could be decided by a dice roll. A victory of any kind would be worth 3 points, a loss 0, and a draw 1; the eight best players would proceed to the quarter finale, the best 4 to semi-, and the 2 best to the finale.

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 334
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/2/2018 8:59:08 PM   
LLv34Mika

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

Perhaps it would be the easiest way to create a world championship like tourney, with a group stage and folowing k.o. system. The ranking of the first tourney could be used to setup the groups. This way the numbers of games could be limited to 6 (3 during group stage, 3 k.o.), and no difficult calculations had to be made. The sides of each game could be decided by a dice roll. A victory of any kind would be worth 3 points, a loss 0, and a draw 1; the eight best players would proceed to the quarter finale, the best 4 to semi-, and the 2 best to the finale.

That would require to have all players in our tournament again. I think it will be very unlikely.

To your concerns about "stress". You still play a turn based game and a "fast" victory doesn't mean that you have to do more turns a day/week. That would be stressful. My suggestion only means that ending the game at an earlier point with a victory rewards that player. Just see it as some alternate way of deceisive/tactical/minor victory. Seeing how long someone can surive suits me more I think.

And the values/end dates are just a random shot. I know different systems that reward players/teams for higher victories or for keeping the battle up to score at least a few points. If different values and dates are better for any reason that is ok for me as well. It was just a suggestion.

"Oderint, dum metuant."

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 335
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/2/2018 9:29:54 PM   
Sugar

Requires a number of players divisable by 4, if there won't be enough for a quarter finale, skip it.

(in reply to LLv34Mika)
Post #: 336
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/3/2018 4:50:49 PM   
nnason

All,
I have calculated the ELO results for the first tournament. There are two games to finish. johanssb vs. Giovann1705 and KZ vs. Rannung61.

I can do second tournament anew or continue with these results. VOTES?????

Sugar 1087.82
KZ 1059.09
Rannung61 1029.55
pig100 1014.89
Sillyflower 1014.89
Hberg 1014.89
roon 1014.44
IrishGuards 1000.11
MrLongLeg 999.66
HamburgerMeat 999.66
Taxman66 999.66
LLv34Mika 985.00
Ironclad 985.00
BPINisBack 984.66
Amadeus 970.00
bullet912 969.89
PJL1973 969.89
Ktonos 969.89
nnason 969.88
YohanTM 969.11

I can see one anomie as Yohan has beaten me. I am 0 to 2 he is 2 to 4.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 337
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/3/2018 8:53:03 PM   
BPINisBACK

YohanTM and me are playing a tournament Game too!!!

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 338
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/3/2018 11:30:21 PM   
nnason

BPINisBACK,
You all are in the next round. The one I will run.
Any comments about the tentative rules?

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 339
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 7:14:00 AM   
BPINisBACK

quote:

ORIGINAL: nnason

BPINisBACK,
You all are in the next round. The one I will run.
Any comments about the tentative rules?

Great! Thank you for your quick answer!

Regarding the rules. I like the way you are going (both of you).

I think that the most important thing is to have fun. The game is fun, the players are usually funny guys.

So, the rules must be clear. Then, the ladder, tournament, and such thigs are "interesting" but not the main point.

Of course i want to thank you for your work. The game is more interesting with this system and your work.

Keep going on i think you are goint in the right direction!

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 340
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 2:58:47 PM   
LLv34Mika

I like my position in the middle... anyone up for a game? Want to ask before I simply challenge my first victim... I mean opponent.

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 341
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 3:50:47 PM   
nnason

All,
Near final rules update:

We have two games going right now. And Llv34Mika is looking for someone to play.

I will use the ELO Rating System. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system. I found a simple system to use here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98469/elo-generator. I plan to start with the results of the last tournament. See above.
Note the ELO system is continuous. So it shows who is at top all the time. So we could keep this going after mods and/or say the addition of the Pacific Theater. We the community just have to agree.
The ELO system allows us to play as many games at the same time as we want. But, you don't have to play more than one game at a time.

Not sure how to handle challenges that are not accepted. Ideas? Theoretically if you win enough games and Sugar doesn't play any games you point score will surpass him. Practically if you don't play and win against Sugar it would take a lot of games. Maybe we should have something like you must complete two games every six months to remain an active player. Inactive players are not considered in the standings but can resume any time. Your thoughts???

House rules are allowed as long as both players agree.

I like Mika's suggestion of rewarding quick defeats and possibly rewarding longer games (players who stick with it to the bitter end.) There was a lot of discussion on this so right now don't plan on doing this.

I plan on some system that rewards players that play both sides against each other. The two games can be simultaneous, sequential, skipped after another opponent, or not at all. My idea if two players play and each wins 1 games that counts as 1 win for each. If one player wins both games that counts as 3 winds for the winner and only one loss for the looser. This would encourage dual haed-to-head games. Thoughts???

I plan on some system that rewards decisive, major, and minor victories. Thoughts?

< Message edited by nnason -- 9/4/2018 4:13:29 PM >

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to LLv34Mika)
Post #: 342
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 4:11:13 PM   
PJL1973

quote:

ORIGINAL: nnason

All,
Near final rules update:

We have two games going right now. And Llv34Mika is looking for someone to play.

I will use the ELO Rating System. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system. I found a simple system to use here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98469/elo-generator. I plan to start with the results of the last tournament. See above.
Note the ELO system is continuous. So it shows who is at top all the time. So we could keep this going after mods and/or say the addition of the Pacific Theater. We the community just have to agree. - I'm okay with continuing with your existing ELO rankings, though others may wish it to be reset. However it should be kept to the basic game IMO, no mods or new scenarios, as these may have a different game balance

The ELO system allows us to play as many games at the same time as we want. But, you don't have to play more than one game at a time.

Not sure how to handle challenges that are not accepted. Ideas? Theoretically if you win enough games and Sugar doesn't play any games you point score will surpass him. Practically if you don't play and win against Sugar it would take a lot of games. Maybe we should have something like you must complete two games every six months to remain an active player. Inactive players are not considered in the standings but can resume any time. Your thoughts??? - A system that hides inactive players is a good idea. Whether their Elo rating should be reset, is another matter, I'm fine with it, but others may disagree

House rules are allowed as long as both players agree. - I would disagree, as it is effectively like a mod in that respect

I like Mika's suggestion of rewarding quick defeats and possibly rewarding longer games (players who stick with it to the bitter end.) There was a lot of discussion on this so right now don't plan on doing this. - Could be doable, as number of turns are tracked in PBEM

I plan on some system that rewards players that play both sides against each other. The two games can be simultaneous, sequential, skipped after another opponent, or not at all. Thoughts??? - Wouldn't the Elo system reward more play anyway. Not sure if this is needed, unless you make it compulsory, so as to ensure a fairer game balance

I plan on some system that rewards decisive, major, and minor victories. Thoughts? - Again, no objections to that

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 343
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 4:11:58 PM   
PJL1973

Mika - I would be fine with starting a new game, provided I play as the Allies.

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 344
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 4:22:09 PM   
nnason

Good comments from PJL1973 others???

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 345
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 4:39:47 PM   
MrLongleg

Okay with hiding inactive players

Okay with allowing house rules

I don't think we need to create incentives for symmetrical play

The ELO system has no concept of minor or major victory. In that case we would need a point system with a real tournament with a predefined number of games.

MrLongleg

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 346
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 4:42:25 PM   
Taxman66

Anything other than a decisive victory (for either side) is extremely unlikely to occur.

Major and minor victories require survival to the end date which is sometime in 1947 iirc.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 347
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 5:27:52 PM   
YohanTM2

I do think we should have a graduated point system, might encourage people to fight on!

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 348
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 5:33:33 PM   
Sugar

Better to play more games than forcing people fighting a lost cause.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 349
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 6:48:46 PM   
Taxman66

Sugar, I see your point as well.

Though in most cases it is easy enough to predict with pretty good accuracy when the resigning Allied side would actually fall. For the Axis side there would be some incentive to play at least a bit on the defensive to get a feel of how long they could last.

I think making the games more than a zero sum win/loss is a good idea.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 350
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 7:26:51 PM   
Sugar

Everybody can continue if he wants to already, it`s about forcing players to continue.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 351
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 8:00:25 PM   
Taxman66

It's about providing a granularity to the reward system, particularly for the loser.

For those, such as you appear to be, that only consider it a zero sum (win or loose) it won't be appealing.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 352
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 8:06:00 PM   
Taxman66

With a granular system, players can still resign. They just need to negotiate an agreed upon conquest date. Doesn't sound too hard to do... unless the 'winner' wants to be jerk and won't negotiate. Almost all of the time the loser should have a pretty good idea of when the end is coming. The only exception might be an Axis player who suddenly realizes that victory will be beyond his grasp but still has a lot of fight left.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 353
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 8:59:03 PM   
LLv34Mika

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

Anything other than a decisive victory (for either side) is extremely unlikely to occur.

Major and minor victories require survival to the end date which is sometime in 1947 iirc.

That's why I thought using the end date of a game for the points rewarded would be fun. But I'm not sure how to include it into an ELO rating. And keeping scores/points AND elo would be too much if you ask me. I can live with both.

btw, nnason
playing mirror games is fun but takes more time. Time might be the biggest problem for many players. Allowing it is okay for me but I wouldn't reward it with extra points. But since you host this tournament it is just up to you. I'm just trowing in my 0.02€.

"Oderint, dum metuant."

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 354
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/4/2018 9:27:42 PM   
pjg100

Definitely not thrilled at a system that rewards mirror games. I barely have time for one game at a time, and sometimes not even that. Time constraints, for me, also put a premium on efficiently arriving at a determination of who wins, which puts me in the Sugar camp on that issue. I would if necessary fight it out to the bitter end, but that would make this seem more like work and less like recreation.

(in reply to LLv34Mika)
Post #: 355
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/5/2018 1:28:31 AM   
Sugar

Perhaps KZ's ladder system is the most flexible, and the Elo-Rating could be used for the player with lesser rating to determine his preferred side, instead of the challenger (or a mirror game if both agree). Would be nice if the lower ranks could challenge anyone above no matter the difference, this would open the opportunity for the time challenged players to proceed with fewer games (if good enough of course).

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 356
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/7/2018 10:01:20 PM   
MrLongleg

Not a lot of activity here, I am ready for the next tournament...

MrLongleg

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 357
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/7/2018 10:25:11 PM   
Veloz

once finish the AAR doing, if patches macht¡ ready for battle as German; if allys Francia will not be beaten.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 358
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/8/2018 1:01:00 AM   
Sugar

Afaik we never met, up for a match?

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 359
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 9/8/2018 5:37:52 AM   
Veloz

azúcar right never ..never..never; meet;

once finish the AAR, send me PM; to discuss the pacht

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI