Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Random Questions from a New Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Random Questions from a New Player Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/13/2018 2:41:40 PM   
brian800000

Thanks so much!

One more question: :)

I started this game against the AI as PDU - Off. I wanted the most historical option. However, now that I'm playing, I'm reconsidering - how realistic to have a bunch of bomber units without planes when bombers of other plane types are idle?

If I switch mid game to PDU - On, will that cause any issues in the game, and could it through off the AI (I'm playing the AI)?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 61
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/13/2018 3:29:29 PM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

Thanks so much!

One more question: :)

I started this game against the AI as PDU - Off. I wanted the most historical option. However, now that I'm playing, I'm reconsidering - how realistic to have a bunch of bomber units without planes when bombers of other plane types are idle?

If I switch mid game to PDU - On, will that cause any issues in the game, and could it through off the AI (I'm playing the AI)?

I don't think that you can do it. This option is for the whole game as far as I know.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 62
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/13/2018 3:46:37 PM   
BillBrown

Against the AI I believe you can change to PDU ON. Not a PBEM game.
I don't think the AI even cares, or abides by that setting.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 8/13/2018 3:47:17 PM >

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 63
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/13/2018 5:04:31 PM   
Lokasenna

For Air HQs, I just make sure they have enough torpedoes that I never have to worry about it (click into the TOE for them and set the default number).

I've had some in the 200s.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 64
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/14/2018 2:24:55 PM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Against the AI I believe you can change to PDU ON. Not a PBEM game.
I don't think the AI even cares, or abides by that setting.

I've switched it up...lets see what happens...hopefully if I win the game the AI won't use this as an excuse.

My next topic of confusion is on mine warfare...going through my pools, it seems the Allies start the game with a wide variety of mines. However, US minelaying ships seem to be armed with the Mk6 Mine, Aussie minelayers the Mk XVII Mine, and Dutch minelayers the VH Mk II Mine. It seems the subs can also lay the Mk 10 mine. But there are a bunch of other mines in the pools: for example, the Mk 16 mine, the M Mk II Mine, and the M Mk IID mine. Can these ever get used?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 65
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/15/2018 7:34:26 AM   
Barb

Mk.16 - IIRC it is the one available to be dropped by air (Or by DM)
Mk.12 - few US (Perch class) subs will be able to carry these by in late 43
M Mk.IID - Dutch subs (O-19 and O-20 especially) could carry them
M Mk.II - British subs? British surface Minelayers (HMS Abdiel?)

I think every mine in the pool could be used by something, just look around. There is a lot of ships around to carry them. Unfortunately the mine pools and production are very limited :)

Post #: 66
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/15/2018 1:42:55 PM   
BBfanboy

And it gets more complicated; some upgrades to US subs remove their ability to carry the mark 10 mine. I think some get to carry a different mine and some might never be able to carry mines again. The big US Subs Argonaut, Nautilus and Narwhal are minelaying types but they can be converted to SST and I am not sure if they can carry mines after that conversion.

Another warning - if you send any minelaying TF toward a target hex with the TF set to "lay mines", and for any reason it has to abort the mission and RTB, it will lay the mines at its home base on arrival!

Another thing about mines - the game keeps track of the minefields by the TF/Air mission that laid them and date (to track decay). This matters for the enemy's detection of your minefield. Lay one massive minefield in one go, and after one of his ships hits a mine the rest of his ships know about the field and will rarely hit a mine. Lay several different fields on different dates and he may find one field, think that he can bring in his TF safely, and then he gets several ships hit by other mines.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 67
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/15/2018 2:41:46 PM   
brian800000

Thanks guys, that is very helpful.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 68
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/29/2018 12:53:09 PM   
brian800000

So another question...B17s in ASW roles. Is this something you guys do, and do you consider it exploiting the game engine?

I know that B17s were used in ASW roles...but I figure some of the same issues with 4Es on naval attack will apply to ASW. I also assume that some of you will say that B17s on ASW are a misuse of resources, but they have such great range and bombloads it seems like a viable option at a few key bases (such as around Hawaii).

Post #: 69
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/29/2018 12:55:32 PM   
BillBrown

I use them, mostly in the early game. It takes a lot of time to train the pilots though.

Post #: 70
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/29/2018 1:37:14 PM   
Yaab

quote:

So another question...B17s in ASW roles. Is this something you guys do, and do you consider it exploiting the game engine?

I know that B17s were used in ASW roles...but I figure some of the same issues with 4Es on naval attack will apply to ASW. I also assume that some of you will say that B17s on ASW are a misuse of resources, but they have such great range and bombloads it seems like a viable option at a few key bases (such as around Hawaii).

I never use them on ASW. 4Es on continous missions have a tendency to ground for maintenace after some time due to their high durability/high service rating combo. Once grounded, they take a very long time to repair due to the same combo. I guess you can mitigate that by placing them at big airfields with lots of aviation support squads , but that limits B-17 usefulness to a handful of big bases. Hudsons, Bolos et als. make great ASW aircraft.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 8/29/2018 1:40:35 PM >

Post #: 71
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 8/29/2018 2:28:42 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

quote:

I never use them on ASW. 4Es on continous missions have a tendency to ground for maintenace after some time due to their high durability/high service rating combo. Once grounded, they take a very long time to repair due to the same combo. I guess you can mitigate that by placing them at big airfields with lots of aviation support squads , but that limits B-17 usefulness to a handful of big bases. Hudsons, Bolos et als. make great ASW aircraft.

I think it better to train and use the B-17s on Nav Search instead of ASW. They can still spot subs for other forces to attack, and they get to search further out for any enemy ships as well.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 72
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 2:30:05 PM   
brian800000

A couple of questions, not really urgent, but more for discussion.

I had a DD hit a mine in the Bataan hex. I see it is trying to limp back to Manila with 98 float damage and 8 fires. It is only 1 hex away, but I stop it from moving, figuring that even just one hex away it will sink, and disband it in Bataan. My idea was that maybe at Bataan, where I have 100 naval support, it could get patched up enough to escape to Soerabaja and then Colombo for real repairs (assuming the PI will fall). Unfortunately, the fires have just been growing while in port--they are now up to 16. It seems this won't get under control and it will burn up in Bataan. Should I have tried to run it to Manila, or was the ship essentially a goner with 98 float damage and 8 fires, 1 hex from a major port?

Second question: when can I be confident in the enemy sunken ship list? I have a spreadsheet tracking enemy sunk ships and I'm just not really sure when I should be marking them off. :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 73
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 2:41:18 PM   
btd64

Sometimes the ship will make it 1 hex, sometimes not. What is the date and how close are the japanese? You have nothing to lose by sending the DD to Manila.

When you see a message that states "XXX ship has been reported as sink" you can scratch it off your list. With CV's just look for a large loss of CV capable aircraft....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 74
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 3:04:48 PM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Sometimes the ship will make it 1 hex, sometimes not. What is the date and how close are the japanese? You have nothing to lose by sending the DD to Manila.

When you see a message that states "XXX ship has been reported as sink" you can scratch it off your list. With CV's just look for a large loss of CV capable aircraft....GP

I'm still in Dec 1941. The Japanese are close--I think the DD is a lost cause. :(

Is that a message in the Ops report?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 75
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 3:11:59 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

I'm still in Dec 1941. The Japanese are close--I think the DD is a lost cause. :(

Is that a message in the Ops report?

Yes, the opps report....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 76
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 3:24:55 PM   
brian800000

Another kind of random question: ASW. I've read about date triggered ASW bonuses...does anyone know how they work? It seems the ASW of my ships increases during the war with upgrades and new ships coming on line also have better capabilities. But are there also date effects? Ie, a ship in 1941 will perform better in 1943 and better still in 1945 even if its ASW weaponry and crew experience are unchanged?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 77
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 6:15:10 PM   
BBfanboy

I think disbanding at Bataan was the right thing to get some of the minor flooding pumped out. If that has been done there is nothing to stop you from sending it on to Manila to get the fires under control (although you may have a three-day wait to take it out of pierside repair to "ready" status.
You do not mention system damage, but it is very important in situations of heavy damage. If the ship's system damage is over 50, it will be very hard for the crew to fight flooding and fires. If it looks hopeless, sometimes it is better to just scuttle it and reduce the enemy's VP gain by 10%.

Further to what btd64 wrote, loss of CV aircraft depends on many factors.
If the damage sustained was immediately over 100 points total and planes had not launched yet, all the aircraft could be lost if the ship sank.
If the damage happened during a Morning or Afternoon Air phase, it depends on whether the CV had enough DL on the enemy to launch its planes.
If the enemy planes were in the air when their ship was disabled beyond landing, they can sometimes land on other friendly carrier or, if there are friendly air bases in range, they can go there.
And if the damage to the enemy carrier started out at less than 100 total points, the aircraft may return to the carrier only to be trapped there after the Air Phases are over and the damage rises above 100.

And there is the possibility that the aircraft found other landing spots but the heavily damaged carrier did not sink, and is limping toward a port to halt firs and flooding and then do what damage remediation it can before heading to a shipyard.

In short, you may or may not get confirmation by looking at just the aircraft losses. If you have any DL on the enemy CV TF and surrounding air bases, check those out as well to see if numbers dropped or increased by a carrier's worth of aircraft.

Post #: 78
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:14:28 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I see it is trying to limp back to Manila with 98 float damage and 8 fires.

quote:

Unfortunately, the fires have just been growing while in port--they are now up to 16.

There are many factors which enter into things such as this, one being your system damage, which you don't state. If its high those fires will likely get totally out of control and you'll lose the vessel. As for where to disband the ship, my philosophy is 'any port in a storm'. The port will assist in putting out the fires, depending on port size among other factors. Wait I'll be right back...

Here, everything you wanted to know about ship repair, but were afraid to ask...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=ship%2Crepair%2Cguide%2C101&#

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/7/2018 8:17:29 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 79
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:21:49 PM   
rustysi

quote:

when can I be confident in the enemy sunken ship list?

Usually after several months you can assume its a correct reporting. Other times you may see a message like 'loss of vessel xyz report incorrect, ship in action...'

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 80
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:33:18 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Another kind of random question: ASW. I've read about date triggered ASW bonuses...does anyone know how they work? It seems the ASW of my ships increases during the war with upgrades and new ships coming on line also have better capabilities. But are there also date effects? Ie, a ship in 1941 will perform better in 1943 and better still in 1945 even if its ASW weaponry and crew experience are unchanged?

It depends on which side you're playing, and you seem to be the Allied side. I'm familiar with the Japanese side, not the Allied. IIRC those triggeer dates refer to Japan and are not 'bonuses', but less of a penalty. It is in the manual, and I did a cursory look with no luck. I'll try later if time, in the meanwhile you could take a look.

From memory (not good) I think the Allied side is just based on crew experience. You'll only usually get the results you want (ie hits) when their experience is ~70 or above. The vessels leadership skills will come into play in a different way. Maybe with the exception of naval skill they'll be mostly in the form of die rolls conducted under the hood.

Post #: 81
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:38:44 PM   
rustysi

quote:

to get the fires under control (although you may have a three-day wait to take it out of pierside repair to "ready" status.

Ships on fire in any port will not go into any repair mode (other than 'ready status') until the fires are put out. Do you want a ship on fire tied to your pier or dry-dock? At any rate the port will still assist with attempting to get the fires out.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 82
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:39:53 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I think the DD is a lost cause.

Don't fret, as the Allies, you'll get like a gazillion of 'em.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/7/2018 8:40:20 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 83
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:48:59 PM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

It depends on which side you're playing, and you seem to be the Allied side. I'm familiar with the Japanese side, not the Allied. IIRC those triggeer dates refer to Japan and are not 'bonuses', but less of a penalty. It is in the manual, and I did a cursory look with no luck. I'll try later if time, in the meanwhile you could take a look.

From memory (not good) I think the Allied side is just based on crew experience. You'll only usually get the results you want (ie hits) when their experience is ~70 or above. The vessels leadership skills will come into play in a different way. Maybe with the exception of naval skill they'll be mostly in the form of die rolls conducted under the hood.

I did find this in the manual:

The effectiveness of a TF’s escort is determined by its:
1. Maximum speed
2. Crew Experience
3. ASW Weapons
4. The total number of escorts in the TF

At night there is a small chance that the escort may use gunfire to attack a sub which is considered to be running on the surface Prior to 1944, Allied crews perform ASW functions during daylight at 114% of their crew rating, and at night at 150% of their crew rating (except for British crews which get no bonus at night as they generally already have extra high night experience). Prior to 1943, Japanese crews perform their ASW functions at 67% of their crew rating, while in 1943 and thereafter they perform at 80% of their crew rating. 6

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 84
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:52:25 PM   
brian800000

I realize I'm posting questions fast and furious, but just one more for today, I promise :) :

Catalinas and airfields...these are flying boats, right? I see in the tracker that they need a size 2 airfield to function, but it seems from the manual that they also can be tended by AVs and AVPs. Are these correct?

Post #: 85
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:54:45 PM   
rustysi

quote:

At night there is a small chance that the escort may use gunfire to attack a sub which is considered to be running on the surface Prior to 1944, Allied crews perform ASW functions during daylight at 114% of their crew rating, and at night at 150% of their crew rating (except for British crews which get no bonus at night as they generally already have extra high night experience). Prior to 1943, Japanese crews perform their ASW functions at 67% of their crew rating, while in 1943 and thereafter they perform at 80% of their crew rating. 6

That's the section I was looking for, see I told you I was unfamiliar with the Allied side. Keep in mind that those 'bonuses' for the Allied crews will be offset to a degree by their low experience levels early in the war.

Post #: 86
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/7/2018 8:58:17 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I realize I'm posting questions fast and furious, but just one more for today, I promise :) :

Catalinas and airfields...these are flying boats, right? I see in the tracker that they need a size 2 airfield to function, but it seems from the manual that they also can be tended by AVs and AVPs. Are these correct?

Yes. Also, if they have a tender that provides enough support for the planes in the unit they could operate from a zero or dot base with no problem as well.

Post #: 87
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 12:38:03 PM   
brian800000

Two more questions. :)

-I'm still Dec. 1941. The zero is eating my fighters for lunch. Is there an airframe that turns this around?

-In intercepted an invasion force as it was unloading with 4 DDs. The DDs basically wrecked the invasion force, but 5 ships remain. The DDs have about 50% ammo left. I just left them in the same hex for the day, and the DDs didn't attack! Is this because they are low on ammo? Kind of disappointing--the remnants of the enemy TF is continuing to unload.

Post #: 88
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 3:57:09 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Two more questions. :)

-I'm still Dec. 1941. The zero is eating my fighters for lunch. Is there an airframe that turns this around?

Not in Dec.'41, so stop feeding them.

-In intercepted an invasion force as it was unloading with 4 DDs. The DDs basically wrecked the invasion force, but 5 ships remain. The DDs have about 50% ammo left. I just left them in the same hex for the day, and the DDs didn't attack! Is this because they are low on ammo? Kind of disappointing--the remnants of the enemy TF is continuing to unload.

Not sure, but the ammo could be it. Anything else close by? Could they reach anyplace close where they may replenish?

Post #: 89
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 6:00:18 PM   
brian800000

Rustysi, the task force is literally parked in my port. There is an enemy task force of a handful of battered akls unloading with a couple pbs and my 4 DD fleet is also in the port hex not attacking. :(

When would you say a competitive airframe arrives, that I can effectively contest zeros? Maybe the P38?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Random Questions from a New Player Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI