Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More tinkering with the fantastic editor.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> More tinkering with the fantastic editor. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More tinkering with the fantastic editor. - 9/16/2018 3:30:29 PM   
m10bob

During the war, the USN made a lot of experiments with their ships and one which went into production was the venerable LST being turned into a repair ship.

The ships all served in the Pacific and were numbered ARB1 thru 12.
To create them, I simply copy/pasted the first LST class to a new blank slot under "classes" and changed the ship type to an AR..
Make sure to "SAVE" each time you make new ships and classes. Write your new numbers on a piece of paper so as not to lose them.

Mark them to not "upgrade".
I assigned mine to Pacific Fleet, and it is safe to have them arrive at San Diego, or Cristobal as they came from Evansville Indiana, or Baltimore originally.

Next, to to the SHIPS screen and use blank slots for each ship, naming them ARB-1 thru ARB- 11, (or 12)....I used empty slots 12520-12531...They will all be the same class and when you punch in that saved "class", it will auto-fill all your slots except the time they enter, the place they enter, and if you copy/paste each as I did, don't forget to manually change the ships' number at the top...1 thru 11 or 12....

Next, the commissioning dates (in order) are 18May43,22May43,5Aug43,11Apr44,23May44,24Jun44,10Mar45,3Jul45 and 23Jun45.....(The twelfth was not in service till the war was over.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/16/2018 4:20:26 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: More tinkering with the fantastic editor. - 9/16/2018 3:32:03 PM   
m10bob

Here is the machine shop aboard these ships.
BTW, the boom could handle 50 tons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: More tinkering with the fantastic editor. - 9/16/2018 4:46:09 PM   
btd64

Was the Weapon setup the same? Good stuff Bob.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: More tinkering with the fantastic editor. - 9/17/2018 12:20:01 PM   
drw61

Here is a list of the LST's that were converted
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/26/26idx.htm

It is in the editor listed as ship class Aristeus slot 2710 but needs to be changed to USN instead of British nationality.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: More tinkering with the fantastic editor. - 9/17/2018 12:42:41 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Was the Weapon setup the same? Good stuff Bob.....GP

From what I can see, yes..The ships were especially for the smaller boats and ships, (PT boats, etc.), and I am not sure how effective an AR works by itself with PT's in particular, (as opposed to an ARD type dry dock?)

Might experiment here and give them one of those "navy support" units to see what happens?

BTW...after reading so many good posts in this forum indicating Conway's was such a good reference book, I did get a second hand copy from amazon.com for less than forty bucks and it is incredible...with loads of info which Jane's did not have.

jane's was nice but it was the "known" info at the time of the war, whereas Conway's has the info acquired AFTER the war...
I am using Conway's for my primary source on these recent "experiments".

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/17/2018 12:59:26 PM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: More tinkering with the fantastic editor. - 9/17/2018 1:07:05 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

Here is a list of the LST's that were converted
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/26/26idx.htm

It is in the editor listed as ship class Aristeus slot 2710 but needs to be changed to USN instead of British nationality.

Excellent find !!!!

Apparently the LST/ARB IS included in the ship data files as located by our friend DRW61, but I cannot find any of the actual LST's included. Perhaps the class itself was created just for some curious modder to come along?, lol

Checking page 247 of the WITP AE manual gives info on "Naval Support Squads", and it explains how the number of assigned squads contribute toward ship repairs *in port* and it is done by both these support squads and AR ships.

It does NOT indicate how many "squads" are actually assigned to an AR ship, and I wonder if there ARE any automatically assigned, (abstractly or otherwise), and if so, how it is determined?

The manual indicates Naval Support Squads may be assigned to units up to 100...(There are three slots in the numeric.)
I am assigning 5 squads to these LST/ARB conversions just to see what happens...If they will repair PT boats in smaller ports and not "hurt" anything, all the better.

If it works, I may be able to make some Japanese AR types as I have the reference book on them as well.?

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/17/2018 1:32:25 PM >

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> More tinkering with the fantastic editor. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI