Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/4/2003 6:45:56 AM   
NAVMAN

Luskan:Could the book you are talking about be,"The War At Sea"
by Potter?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 31
- 6/5/2003 2:26:48 AM   
crsutton

I recently read "The battle of Okinawa; The Blood and the Bomb. I have been reading military history for over 40 years now and would rate this as one of the top five best books that I have ever read on war. Certainly the best account of a battle. I recommend the book to all. George Feifer is the author.

The book covers the battle in detail and while the author's account of the battle is first rate, the book is more than just an account of the fighting. The author goes into a detailed exploration of the effect of the battle on Okinawian society and culture as well as exploring the relationship of the outcome of the battle and the use of the atomic bomb.

Most important are the extensive use of Japanese and Okinawian personal accounts. (This was the first battle where significant number of Japanese soldiers were captured or surrendered-thus allowing personal memiors). Much space is devoted to the fight from the Japanses side and the book does much to go beyond the standard "myths" of the Japanese soldiers. Except for possibly Stalingrad-no battle exceeds this one for total horror,not just for the soldiers but for the Okinawian civilians as well, and Feifer does a great job of putting it out.

Read it and let me know what you think.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 32
- 6/7/2003 12:31:18 AM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NAVMAN
[B]pbear:I read this book some years ago. The edition I read was titled, "Japanese Destroyer Captain." I think the author's last name was Hara. Believe it was originally published by USNI, sometime in the '50s [/B][/QUOTE]

That's the one; I found it very interesting because it gives an insight into the other side. We tend to overlook the problems faced by the Japanese due to their training, philosophy, and culture. After all they were fighting a people who they had practically nothing in common with in these areas. I would have liked to see more books like this one, but now it is to late, for both sides.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 33
- 6/7/2003 6:27:06 AM   
NAVMAN

pbear:There are a couple of other books in this "series" that might interest you if uou have not already read them:
1)"Midway:The Battle That Doomed Japan".I think Fuchida was a
co-author
2)"The Divine Wind"Do not recall the author.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 34
- 6/9/2003 10:59:49 PM   
jnoory

Two other lesser known books that are available:

"I-Boat Captain"

and

"Sink the Haguro!"

Another book I started reading but found uninteresting is "The End of the Imperial Japanese Navy" by Ito. Despite the title, it begins with Pearl Harbor.

John Noory

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 35
- 6/10/2003 2:13:56 AM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NAVMAN
[B]pbear:There are a couple of other books in this "series" that might interest you if uou have not already read them:
1)"Midway:The Battle That Doomed Japan".I think Fuchida was a
co-author
2)"The Divine Wind"Do not recall the author. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll check them out.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 36
- 6/10/2003 5:10:59 AM   
jnoory

There is one other I forgot to mention: "Shinano!" by Capt. Joseph F. Enright, USN.

"Sink the Haguro!" is by John Winton and "I-Boat Captain" is by Zenji Orita. The latter was written in 1976 and includes a photo I'd never before seen of the damage to the USS Shaw at Pearl Harbor.

John

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI