Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Some questions for JFBs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Some questions for JFBs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 4:40:36 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I typically have the D4Y1 arriving in October 1942.

Wow! How many factories do you have researching?

Like Lokasenna I too had four. Got mine Jan. '43. So with some possible differences in approach and die rolls you can see it may vary. I didn't have any engine bonus though so I don't know if that's a factor here.

I always have engine bonus.

I'm OK with producing 500 of the models that use it, or if not... it's just HI. The engine begins producing much earlier than the plane R&D factories are even fully repaired.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 31
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 4:41:44 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I was under the assumption that the different airframe type didn't apply to the bomber category (light, medium, level, heavy bombers). Do you have a source for that?

Not that I doubt the sincerity of what you're saying, but there's an abundance of myths and inaccuracies pedalled around the forum that they become gospel.

It is a thing, actually.

Train up some pilots using TBs and then drop them into Netties.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 32
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 10:30:12 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Herein lies the beauty of playing as Japan, ask five JFB's a question and they'll give you fifteen different answers.

+1

Post #: 33
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 1:58:20 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

I was under the assumption that the different airframe type didn't apply to the bomber category (light, medium, level, heavy bombers). Do you have a source for that?

Not that I doubt the sincerity of what you're saying, but there's an abundance of myths and inaccuracies pedalled around the forum that they become gospel.

It is a thing, actually.

Train up some pilots using TBs and then drop them into Netties.

No, I know that moving pilots across airframes caused an EXP hit, but I was under the impression that light, med and heavy bombers were lumped into the same category and so didn't incur the EXP hit. That's what I was wanting the verification for.

TB pilots are different as the game treats them as thier own catagory, along with DB.

A better way to phrase it would be would a IJA pilot trained on an Ida incur an EXP hit moving to a Helen?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 34
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 4:34:46 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Alfred wrote a great explanation on the topic of training pilots; in case you have the time to search it

from memory:
- EXP loses only when the pilot's experience is high; moving 40s exp trainees won't hurt
- Light, med, hvy bombers are all the same "bombers" for the purpose of exp so moving from Ida to Helen is OK
- Moving from float plane to DB will incur penalty

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 9/13/2018 5:08:15 PM >

Post #: 35
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 4:45:38 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

From Alfred:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3706882&mpage=1&key=pilot�

1. Pilot "type" has no impact on game play. Pilot performance is completely dependent on pilot stats.
2. The only thing which is slightly worth noting of pilot "type" is that moving a pilot from one type of aircraft classification to another is that pilot experience, but not the skills, will suffer a slight drop. The drop is usually only about 3-4 percentage basis points.
3. There are only 5 ingame pilot pools visible to the player. You manually select veteran pilots from these pools, so whatever you see from Tracker is irrelevant.

The 5 pools are:
fighter, bomber, patrol, transport, recon

moving pilots from pool "x" to pool "y" will incur a small exp loss
moving between TB, Level light, med, hvy, DB, etc won't because they are all bomber pilots

From Koniu (same link):
EXP needs to be 50 or higher (no penalty if below 50)
EXP loss only if you manually select the pilot, using transfer "x" pilots button won't trigger the penalty

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 9/13/2018 4:59:20 PM >

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 36
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 5:12:47 PM   
mind_messing

Cheers Jorge, that was exactly what I was meaning.

Post #: 37
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 6:51:26 PM   
Alfred

This is a better thread on the subject of pilot transfers.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3847055&mpage=2&key=experience&#3854495

Alfred

Post #: 38
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 9:51:26 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Yes, you did miss something WRT the Judy-3, its the first one that will carry an 800kg bomb.

This is wrong. I checked last night and its only the Judy 4 that will carry the 800kg.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 39
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 9:53:01 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Isn't the Judy C-1 still an SR3 aircraft?

The answer to this is, no. Its an SR2.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Post #: 40
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 9:56:11 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Its been a while since I've done one directly from a single engine to a twin. Thought there was a difference, but I could be wrong. I know there's one on the IJN side of things. From what's said looks like its not on the IJA side.

Post #: 41
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 9:57:27 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Herein lies the beauty of playing as Japan, ask five JFB's a question and they'll give you fifteen different answers.

So true.

Post #: 42
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 10:01:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The Lily IIb/c is a dive bomber, so you'd train NavB.

I get that only having two 100kg bombs is a downside, but it's a dive bomber...for the IJA. What else is there for the IJA bomber force to do in the late-game when the Allied flak stacks force all bombers above 18k?

Still not convinced. I prefer to use a different approach when it comes to opposing Allied naval incursions. We'll see how it plays out in a PBEM game (eventually).

Post #: 43
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 10:06:05 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I always have engine bonus.

I'm OK with producing 500 of the models that use it, or if not... it's just HI. The engine begins producing much earlier than the plane R&D factories are even fully repaired.

OK, your preference.

As for the last statement. While its true I usually then turn those engine R&D factories over to a different engine. I only have one produce the Ha-60. I'll probably produce a little more than I first thought, but no more than 300.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 44
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/13/2018 10:14:15 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Both Judy recons are SR 2. The Judy can go 21 hexes on droptanks, the Irving 22. That's one more hex for twice the production cost.

The Judy recon's are better value for money, and as a discount you can slap them on your CV's.

I still like the Irving as well. There natural normal range is just right, twelve. Its not like you'll build them in the thousands. There're are no more than five or six units that can use them at any one time in the game anyway. To that there is a withdrawal or two. I figure about 100-125, if that. The Judy recon, about 100 should do.

As to the section in bold, those are max ranges. Lot's can go wrong with their use, and as has been said you won't spot too much that far out. So the normal range of twelve works for me. Not that I wouldn't look further on occasion, just not as a rule. Besides I have quite a number of aircraft that look that far out.

Post #: 45
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/14/2018 2:05:41 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL:
The 5 pools are:
fighter, bomber, patrol, transport, recon

moving pilots from pool "x" to pool "y" will incur a small exp loss
moving between TB, Level light, med, hvy, DB, etc won't because they are all bomber pilots

Start any game as Japan and move a top level Kate pilot to a Betty unit (or vice versa). You'll get an experience hit every time.

Edit: See this post and the ones that follow. As they say, "it's complicated". In particular note Juan's post #57. I think he nails it on that one (i.e there's 14 classes, not 5)

< Message edited by Kull -- 9/14/2018 2:24:53 AM >

Post #: 46
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/14/2018 8:17:12 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I think you are right; it is 14 classes not 5
meaning that Betty to Kate will reduce (but not Ida to Helen)

I will check if transferring "X" number of pilots button reduces experience; as this is what I use 99% of the times

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 47
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/16/2018 6:06:04 AM   
Kull

My post from later in that thread:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

More testing (for the record, it's the 1123x10 Beta, but I don't think that matters). There are three ways to get a pilot out of the Reserve Pool, and they provide three completely different outcomes. From worst to best:

1) From the "Request Veteran" screen, click on the pilot's name. Result: Experience Lost AND Chance of Delay (1-to-7 turns)

2) On the unit screen, use "Get New Pilot" button with "From..." set to "Reserve(##)". Result: Experience Lost BUT No Delay (pilot moves immediately into the selecting unit)

3) From the "Request Veteran" screen, click the "Release Pilot" button (presumably the button associated with "Most Experienced"). Result: No Experience Lost AND No Delay (pilot moves immediately into the selecting unit)

This definitely sounds like a bug. Having three different outcomes from basically the same action (moving a pilot from one unit to another) seems unusual, to put it mildly.

Kind of annoying that you get three completely different results, all depending on which method you choose. One of which does NOT impact experience (no matter what airframe they move to/from)

Post #: 48
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/18/2018 9:33:34 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

This is a better thread on the subject of pilot transfers.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3847055&mpage=2&key=experience�

Alfred

Thank you Alfred for your encyclopedic knowledge and contributions to this forum!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 49
RE: Some questions for JFBs - 9/22/2018 10:48:21 AM   
ElvisDaKing

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisDaKing

Armor, as per my understanding, only increases survivability of your pilot if plane is shot down : it does not make plane more resistant to damage , for which you have to consider the Durability of the plane

Armor does make an airframe tougher and harder to shoot down in addition to increasing pilot survivability. I think they lump things like self-sealing tanks into armor, but the pilot not getting shot in the back with a 50cal bullet will also mean the plane is more likely to stay int he air.

This is also my understanding for armor but i am not convinced it's the way it is applied in game

Clearly I don't know how the routines combat are run (air to air and ground (AAA) to air), but i can assume that the data related to the 'durability' of the plane is the quantity of damage it can suffer.
Although, when i check some planes they have same durability despite some version have armor, and some don t :
Ki-43 IIa Oscar, armor = 0, Durability = 23
Ki-43 IIb Oscar, armor = 1, Durability = 23

Ki-49 Ia Helen, armor = 0, Durability = 40
Ki-49 IIa Helen, armor = 1, Durability = 40

In game, if armor would increase the capacity of the plane to resist more damage, i would believe that armored version would have increased durabulity compare to non armored version...
so my guess is that armor, in game, is only increasing the survivability of the pilot if his plane is shot down...

'To my point, in war, there s just one attractive thing : the victory Parade... What sucks, it s all the things before.... We should get the enlist payroll and do the parade right away, before that it get totally screwed up'
Un Taxi pour Tobrouk

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Some questions for JFBs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI