Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Switch thread?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Switch thread? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 6:42:35 PM   
ETF

Jus reloading this beast after several years. Is there a thread on setting up switches guys? Can't seem to find it.
Thanks!

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Post #: 1
RE: Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 7:21:25 PM   
mikkey

ETF, switches are very well described in "WhatsNew.pdf" and "readme.doc" in WitP AE main directory. Here is description of the most important switches:

IMPORTANT - Dual/Quad Core Performance and Command Line Switches:
We’ve found that a number of newer multi-core systems with multi-threaded graphics drivers can be particular about how they want War in the Pacific: Admiral’s Edition to work. We’ve added a number of new command line switches which, in our experience, make it possible for every system to get the best performance out of War in the Pacific: Admiral’s Edition. They are defined below as “Performance Switches” and we recommend that every player give them a try as they can even improve performance on older systems in many cases.

There are also a number of other command line switches that may be useful to players.

To use any of these, Right click to edit the Properties on the “Quick Start” shortcut to the game (located in your Start Menu folder for War in the Pacific: Admiral’s Edition). Do not edit the default desktop link, which points to an “autorun.exe” as that won’t work. You have to use the Quick Start link which points directly to the game executable. You’ll want to add these to the end of the “Target” field to get them to work. For example, when you are done your target field could look like this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral
Edition.exe" -wd –altFont –cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw
Performance Switches

(Please note that the old –dual switch has been removed in favor of the below combination of more configurable switches)

-SingleCpuStart : Starts the game in single CPU mode. Switches to multi CPU mode if available later. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD processors.

-SingleCpuOrders : Starts the game in single CPU mode and stays in single CPU for the orders phase, switches to multi CPU mode for running the turn, then switches back to single mode for the next orders phase. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD processors. Use this or –SingleCpuStart, not both.

If either of the above are used with one of the -cpu# switches noted below, it will use the specified CPU, otherwise both of these switches default to the first CPU. If a -cpu# switch and one of these -Single switches are used, the turns will always be processed in multi-processor mode.

-cpu# : (cpu1, cpu2, cpu3, cpu4) Switches set the cpu affinity for multi cpu systems. It will do nothing for single cores and will default to using all cores if a core is designated which is not there (for example using -cpu3 on a dual core system). We’ve found this to be very useful on some multi-core systems, especially Intel processors.

If used alone, the -cpu# switches will keep the game running on the CPU specified all the time. If used with the -SingleCpuStart switch, it will only use that core when starting the game. If used with the -SingleCpuOrders switch, it will stay in single CPU mode for starting and the orders phase, but will run in multicore. If one of the SingleCpu switches is used without a -cpu# switch, it will default to cpu 1 when it is in single core.

-multiaudio : Invokes a fix that changes audio timing for multicore machines.

-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat animations though, so give it a try and remove it if it’s not ideal on your system.

Performance Examples

For example, on an Intel Dual Core system here, we use the following switches:

-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw

On an AMD multi-core system, we use the following switches:

-SingleCpuOrders –cpu2 –multiaudio

Try these switches in different combinations to see what works best for your system as what works well on one may not be ideal for another. However, we have yet to find a system that didn’t benefit at all from at least one of these switches performance-wise, so test them out!
Wide Screen Support

New in the third official update:

-px -py

To have any effect x must be greater than 1024 and y must be greater than 768. If values less than or equal to px=1024 and py=768 are used the original values of 1024 and 768 will be substituted.

Spanning mode is not supported and user should ensure that both the video adapter and monitor support the px and py values.

We were unable to test on all possible monitor combinations, if you experience issues you should immediately remove the –px –py from your command line switches to revert to standard display behavior.

Examples:

-f -px1920 –py1200 for a 1920x1200 monitor in full screen mode

-w –px1680 –py1050 for windowed mode, so that the window is within desktop

Other Switches
-colorBlind : Support for color blindness
-deepColor : Enables 32 bit color, intended for Full Screen mode
-altFont : Enables alternate in-game font (Lucida Sans Unicode)
-w : Windowed mode
-wd : Windowed mode, daily autosaves
-ww : Windowed mode, weekly autosaves
-fd : Full screen, daily autosaves
-fw : Full screen, weekly autosaves
-r : Show Roads
-autosave : Daily autosave
-archive : Put data reports in archive directory
-skipVideo : Skip the intro video when starting the game
-fixedArt : Will not use rotating images

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 7:44:30 PM   
ETF

Thanks, sir!!

I will open up the main directory and take a look see at the PDF file.

Cheers

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 3
RE: Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 7:53:52 PM   
ETF

Question if I may where is the "Target Field" for the .exe file in Windows 10 to place the switches? Sorry, hate windows 10 :)

< Message edited by ETF -- 9/24/2018 8:29:41 PM >

Twitter

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 4
RE: Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 8:23:35 PM   
pws1225

If you right click on the WitP-AE shortcut icon then select Properties from the popup menu, the Target field where the switches go is third line from the top.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 5
RE: Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 8:31:12 PM   
ETF

Wouldn't that be the auto run one?

"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe

I see that target but this isn't the correct one.....hmmm will keep looking.

Have to find this Quick Start shortcut.....HA! did I say I hate windows 10. Will find it just have to search for it.

< Message edited by ETF -- 9/24/2018 8:37:27 PM >

Twitter

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 6
RE: Switch thread? - 9/24/2018 11:34:44 PM   
pws1225

Oops, I forgot about the autorun file. Toss that file and make a new shortcut to WitPAE.exe and copy it to your desktop. This will be the one you select in the target field and add the switches as needed. Autorun is a bat file that doesn't read the switches.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 7
RE: Switch thread? - 9/25/2018 12:19:30 PM   
ETF

Thank you, sir!!

Twitter

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 8
RE: Switch thread? - 9/25/2018 12:47:00 PM   
m10bob

After much experimentation and lots of help from our friends here in the forum, the switches which work for me are these:
"C:\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu3 -dd_sw -fixART -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -px1280 -py1024

I use an HP Pavilion, 64 bit, win10

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 9
RE: Switch thread? - 9/25/2018 10:55:42 PM   
ETF

Ok cool thank brother. Is that the best I should use for resolution......anything higher and it will slow things down I take it sir?

< Message edited by ETF -- 9/25/2018 10:59:41 PM >

Twitter

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 10
RE: Switch thread? - 9/25/2018 10:59:16 PM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

After much experimentation and lots of help from our friends here in the forum, the switches which work for me are these:
"C:\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu3 -dd_sw -fixART -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -px1280 -py1024

quote:

skipVideo

Ah yes, this is the best response I have seen after playing with it for 60 mins. Thanks!! Asking for 2560 x 1440 I guess was a tad much lol

Twitter

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 11
RE: Switch thread? - 9/26/2018 3:24:59 AM   
InfiniteMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

skipVideo

Ah yes, this is the best response I have seen after playing with it for 60 mins. Thanks!! Asking for 2560 x 1440 I guess was a tad much lol

Largest res I typically use is this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -wd –cpu2 –multiaudio -pxf3000 -pyf1500 -altFont -dd_sw

-pxf & -pyf allow non-standard resolutions.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 12
RE: Switch thread? - 9/26/2018 10:16:43 PM   
ETF

Oh will try that one next thanks!

Twitter

(in reply to InfiniteMonkey)
Post #: 13
RE: Switch thread? - 9/26/2018 10:48:27 PM   
pws1225

And here's the one I use on a 27" monitor. It expands the visible map area by about 50%-75% while maintaining reasonably easy to read font sizes with an acceptable aspect ratio. It's a tradeoff between map coverage vs readability. The size of your monitor and the age of your eyeballs should determine which res is best for you.

"F:\Matrix Games - AI\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -f -px1280 -py960

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 14
RE: Switch thread? - 9/26/2018 11:07:36 PM   
kris279

Hello, I would need some help setting up this "switches". Tried to add -cpu3 -dd_sw -fixART -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -px1920 -py1080 but it did not do anything.(tried others as well)

Now, I read here that I do not have to modify the desktop icon to do so - which one would be the right one(have just desktop icons setup no quickstart on the lower border of the screen)?

I have a multicore i7 processor, win10 64 bit.

In standard setup the scrolling in game is really slow, takes a while to start. As well when I click at a port(or something else) nothing happens at first. Same goes when I try to close the screen again, it takes a while till the game reacts. It cannot be my hardware, it runs modern games in high resolution. So , I assume I need to "play" with this switches, but honestly, really do not understand what to do.

Any help appreciated. Thank you!

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 15
RE: Switch thread? - 9/26/2018 11:49:12 PM   
pws1225

kris279 - the desktop icon that is automatically created when you install the game will not let you use switches. Toss that icon and make a new shortcut to WitPAE.exe and copy it to your desktop. This will be the one you select in the target field and add the switches as needed. Autorun is a bat file that doesn't read the switches. After you have done that, you can try several of the switch settings that other users have used to find the ones that work best for you.

(in reply to kris279)
Post #: 16
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 12:11:10 AM   
pws1225

Kris - by the way, my wife is Austrian and she is curious where in Austria are from.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 17
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 12:13:56 AM   
kris279

Ok. I went into the MAtrix folder, made a new shortcut to the exe file. Pulled it on desktop. Tried, it starts the game.

Then, tried to right click, last lane, add the switches(i tried just to change resolution to verify) - nothing. Still the same. I used 2 different lines, (both negative) -pxf1920 -pyf1080 and -px1920 -py1080

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 18
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 1:07:26 AM   
JoV

And here was I hoping this thread was about a port of WitP:AE to the Nintendo Switch

Oh well. I can dream...

(in reply to kris279)
Post #: 19
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 1:32:45 AM   
pws1225

Kris - When you right click your new icon to start the game, it brings up a pop-up. At the bottom of the pop-up is Properties. Left click this and another pop-up will appear. The third line down is named Target. This is the field where the switches are added at the end of the path name to the WitP-AE.exe file.

(in reply to kris279)
Post #: 20
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 6:11:58 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kris279

Ok. I went into the MAtrix folder, made a new shortcut to the exe file. Pulled it on desktop. Tried, it starts the game.

Then, tried to right click, last lane, add the switches(i tried just to change resolution to verify) - nothing. Still the same. I used 2 different lines, (both negative) -pxf1920 -pyf1080 and -px1920 -py1080

The startup screen with the radio and dials does not change in resolution. Check to see if your map changed resolution. Be sure to use the hyphen from the top of the keyboard in front of the switch codes, rather than the minus sign on the numeric pad. The format of the whole line must be right, including placement of the quote marks " and " and single spaces between switches.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to kris279)
Post #: 21
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 9:08:04 AM   
kris279

Yes, tried all. No luck. In my other thread(how do I start) someone said that I have an not updated version(mine is from 2009), but the autoupdater does not work(comes always back with an error message and tells me to contact Matrix support...).

No answer from them yet.

EDIT: Got an reply, with a link for a download. Did that already before. Still, cannot program any "switches", really no clue why.

< Message edited by kris279 -- 9/27/2018 12:51:25 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 1:15:29 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Yes, tried all. No luck. In my other thread(how do I start) someone said that I have an not updated version(mine is from 2009), but the autoupdater does not work(comes always back with an error message and tells me to contact Matrix support...).

No answer from them yet.

EDIT: Got an reply, with a link for a download. Did that already before. Still, cannot program any "switches", really no clue why.

Post (Show us) your exact switch line.

(in reply to kris279)
Post #: 23
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 1:33:49 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

No answer from them yet.

Post (Show us) your exact switch line.

As an image, not copy and paste. So we can see what, where you're setting this up....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 24
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 3:55:36 PM   
kris279

Thank you very much, actually my own blindness was the cause - I linked the wrong () .exe file to the desktop.

I am the only one that cannot play it full screen? Had to set it to windowed mode(see below) to have smooth movement on the map and proper response if pushing a button... So or so - finally happy that I can run the game in a proper way. Took me a lot of hours

Using this commands: -dd_sw -w -px1920 -py1080 -altFont -deepColor -r

< Message edited by kris279 -- 9/27/2018 3:56:35 PM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 25
RE: Switch thread? - 9/27/2018 4:51:57 PM   
rustysi

quote:

finally happy that I can run the game in a proper way. Took me a lot of hours

It was a warning. You think getting it to run took hours... Wait, you've only just begun. Say goodbye to all that you knew in the past. You're now in the AE Zone.....

Seriously, glad you got it to run. Have fun...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to kris279)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Switch thread? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI