Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 9/22/2018 2:23:19 PM   
cpdeyoung

As I watch games forming for this magnificent mod, I want to share some thoughts.

1. GD1938v3 is a monster game. It is very hard to play a 1942 turn of the Allies in less than four hours. Do not judge the playing speed by June 1938, as the number of fronts and unit increase your time and immersion will increase far more. I believe a player can keep up with one fast paced game, or two if you are retired, and dedicated. Handling three or four games, and maintaining an acceptable pace, is probably impossible over the long run. The game not only has long turns, but it has many of them.

2. I think it is a mistake to play this game with more than three players. There is a built in problem with passing turns, always a point where the game can slow down. You also have more chances for holidays (multi-national) and vacations interfering. Perhaps the most important aspect is that coalition played by multiple players requires lots of chatter and cooperation, which only some players are good at. It is hard enough to win with one player per coalition. It is even harder if the FR-GB need aid in Europe, and the US-CH player wants to play USN in the Pacific.

3. Even with the most dedicated, motivated players it is very hard to finish the game. The most important criteria when picking a set of players is persistence. Will each player agree to play past the point where their victory seems impossible to achieve?

4. ATG does not have the infrastructure to support record keeping in a game of this scale. I used to think a spreadsheet was enough to supplement the game. I now feel that a paper journal, or Word document is also necessary. I used to use paper, but I now use Word. In this document I remind myself of my "To do" list for future turns. By mid-war it is all just too much to remember.

5. Each game probably should have an AAR. In a game that can take a year or more shared experience is valuable.

6. Each player should consider a replacement strategy if they must quit, or be absent for a long time. Perhaps sending passwords to a neutral party would be wise.

This is a pretty fair amount of blather about a game. Be assured this game is worth it. It is wonderful fun, but like most worthwhile things requires effort!

Chuck
Post #: 1
RE: GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 9/22/2018 2:59:26 PM   
ArmouredLion

I agree on all fronts from Chuck. Although, I am now finally registering his talk of a spreadsheet and ability to keep track. As the Soviets in our cold war game, I'm really feeling the immensity of it. He has been chatting with me about a spreadsheet or some way to keep track... but it didn't stick till recently. Chuck does reaffirm my thoughts on taking a back seat, Bombur. I don't agree though on 3 players max... but I have been wrong in the past. I'm fine with not playing this one, Bombur. Why don't you square off with Quibbles and Gray Nemesis?

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 2
RE: GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 9/22/2018 5:49:45 PM   
Bombur

Excellent points, Chuck, I will however, disagree from from on the number of players. Actually a 4 player game could actually alleviate some troubles you mentioned by (1) decreasing the working load for the player (instead of one player making a 4 hour turn we have two players with 2 hour turns) and (2) giving an automatic replacement in vacations or other situations of the player being absent.

(in reply to ArmouredLion)
Post #: 3
RE: GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 10/8/2018 3:16:59 PM   
Quibbles

Although I am still very much a "newbie" when it comes to this game, from what I have experienced thus far I agree multiple players alleviates a lot of the "overwhelmingness" of the game and can make it much more manageable. Having player 5 player slots for GE/IT, JA, RU, GB/FR, US/CH seems logical to me, and should cut the time of a turn down significantly. A few house rules may be in order to stop nations from "going rogue" if the players agree, and perhaps the sharing of passwords or the use of a common password for each faction so players can actually view what their fellow counterparts are up to in a given faction.

I really endorse the use of notes/spreadsheet because by lunch I have usually forgotten what I had for breakfast. The first thing I do when playing a Vassal module is check for a Notes button, and add it to the module if it isn't there.

That is my two cents. If the value is based on actual gameplay experience, then it's probably worth about a wooden nickel.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 4
RE: GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 10/8/2018 3:32:33 PM   
LJBurstyn

Suggestions:

House Rule 1: Neutral nations cannot move any units next or in the same hex to nations or territories that are involved in war. Unless the hex in question was theirs at the start of the game (Hong Kong as an example).

Five player game alternate set up.
GE/IT/JA
Russia
GB/FR
USA
China

I know this means the USA player is hampered but I cannot see China being played neutrally by a US player. I can see this as I am in a THREE player game as the Allies and as the USA player I am giving China a lot more aid than the USA did in the real world. This kind of aid would have been politically unrealistic with the USA isolationism at that time.

(in reply to Quibbles)
Post #: 5
RE: GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 10/8/2018 3:41:00 PM   
ArmouredLion

I think the recon from allied players isn't cool. As for the setup, I'd play any setup, but from my game having Axis played by one player against fragmented Allies is a huge bonus to Axis... they are so damn tough. If anything Japan should be on it's own... just my thoughts. I'll play anyway, so I'm easy.

(in reply to LJBurstyn)
Post #: 6
RE: GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations - 10/8/2018 5:07:39 PM   
Twotribes

I would like to play I am retired and unless my depression gets the better of me or my heart I should be good for as many turns as needed.

(in reply to ArmouredLion)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> GD19383v3 Gaming Considerations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI