Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/25/2018 11:57:43 AM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flicker

Have you repaired your industry in Chungking (also Changsha and Nanning)? If not, I would stockpile supplies in Chungking and repair light industry, then HI, then manpower, then resources. It will take a few months (this is one of the first things I do as Allies). Repeat with Changsha, then Nanning.

Thanks for this suggestion - I will check the status this evening.

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 31
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/25/2018 10:03:42 PM   
Nemo121

quote:

his response was along the lines of " I'm the best carrier guy since Halsey"

Is it probable that this was self-deprecating and not intended seriously? If serious then, wow, just wow.

With respect to the strategic situation shown in the map on the thread where you were discussing your carrier losses I would say that that position looks extremely good from the Allied point of view. He has left you with bases within LBA reach of his bases guarding the eastern and southern routes into the Philippines. It also seems he has left you with lots of bases in the southern DEI - this is a huge mistake on his part.

He may have sunk your carriers and be patting himself on the back for the losses he has inflicted but I am reminded of Maharbal's comment about Hannibal insofar as he know how to gain a victory but not how to USE that victory. Basically Maharbal was saying that Hannibal could beat the Romans on the field of battle but had difficulty turning those victories into strategic decision.

Your opponent has had lots of action and won some nice battles but if the map in that thread truly shows the bases you still own ( especially in the DEI ) then he should expect to see you around Manilla before the end of 1943 - even playing conservatively.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 10/25/2018 10:14:21 PM >

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 32
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/25/2018 10:13:26 PM   
rustysi

quote:

A. It seems he does what he likes and ignores what he doesn't. Rob him of this choice and he will become increasingly frustrated. Played properly the majority of games are not WON by one player but LOST by one player. Frustrate him and he will rapidly engage in choices which degrade his forces, position and personal morale. All you then have to do is make reasonable choices and resist the temptation to do anything showy and he will lose the game to you for you.

I played a guy regularly in chess who hated to lose his knights. So much so it destroyed his game. Once I knew it of course I always traded a bishop or knight for one of his, and he then proceeded to 'win the game for me'. TBH he was a better player than I, but his 'distaste' for losing knights made him vulnerable. Eventually he quit playing me, but that's his loss. He should have learned to accept the loss and proceed to beat the stuffing out of me.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 33
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/25/2018 11:22:28 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

quote:

his response was along the lines of " I'm the best carrier guy since Halsey"

Is it probable that this was self-deprecating and not intended seriously? If serious then, wow, just wow.

With respect to the strategic situation shown in the map on the thread where you were discussing your carrier losses I would say that that position looks extremely good from the Allied point of view. He has left you with bases within LBA reach of his bases guarding the eastern and southern routes into the Philippines. It also seems he has left you with lots of bases in the southern DEI - this is a huge mistake on his part.

He may have sunk your carriers and be patting himself on the back for the losses he has inflicted but I am reminded of Maharbal's comment about Hannibal insofar as he know how to gain a victory but not how to USE that victory. Basically Maharbal was saying that Hannibal could beat the Romans on the field of battle but had difficulty turning those victories into strategic decision.

Your opponent has had lots of action and won some nice battles but if the map in that thread truly shows the bases you still own ( especially in the DEI ) then he should expect to see you around Manilla before the end of 1943 - even playing conservatively.

I think it was a mixture of half joking, and some pride in his play. I will post an updated strategic map and the aircraft losses, per your request.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 34
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/25/2018 11:23:42 PM   
dave sindel

Strategic map - August 11 1942

Attachment (1)

Post #: 35
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/25/2018 11:24:55 PM   
dave sindel

Air losses

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 4:51:58 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Move about 500-600 AV into Canton. It will stop some of his industry there, and since it's heavy urban, it'll be really difficult to kick your troops out of the hex.

on the way...

I assume you are aware that the garrison requirement at Canton is 360. If he's been ignoring China, he probably still has 360+ AV there, which should be dug in behind fort level 4 or 5 (or higher). You won't be capturing it with 500 Chinese AV. But, co-occupying it will mess with his supply situation. On the other hand, Hong Kong may be lightly defended, if he moved the 38th Division out after capturing it and didn't replace it with something substantial. Capturing HK will definitely mess with his supplies. HK is worth 50 more HI than Canton. That's my 2 cents.

You're missing the point. The mere presence of enemy troops in a hex stops the production of industrial enterprsies within that hex. In this case, all the Chinese troops have to do is march in and stop.

Then the onus is on the Japanese player to evict the Chinese from x3 urban terrain. And the level of Japanese forts won't matter one iota if they're on the offensive.

No it doesn't. It stops the Resources, but not the Light Industry/Heavy Industry.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 37
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 1:13:11 PM   
Nemo121

Dave,

It looks to me like you're in a very good position really. He has danced around with his CVs, sunk yours but has really neglected the strategic layer. I would suggest the following 3 phase strategic plan...

Phase 1: Green arrows in the accompanying picture.
A. Consolidate your Chinese forces into good defensive terrain ( this may mean advancing into cities Japan holds in order to gain the urban defensive bonuses ) in order to maximise the efficiency of your Chinese forces. This should allow you to free up 1/3rd of Chinese combat power. I would then suggest you use that combat power to push west into Burma to re-open the Burma Road.

B. Build up your Southern Indian bases, Imphal, Kohima etc... and then use Allied forces (including some Americans... these are essential for maskirovka purposes I'll outline later) to push south into Burma and re-open the Burma Road. You already seem to have forces 1 hex away from cutting the railroad to Myitkyina just 2 hexes north-east of Schwebo ( 2 hexes because that hex is jungle/rough terrain with nice defensive bonuses while the hex just north of Schwebo is clear. Your Chinese forces could move into Lashio, blocking the Japanese there. Put another unit into the 2 hexes north-west of Lashio to link up with the guys blocking the Schwebo/Myitkyina road and you will stop supply flowing to Myitkyina. At that point in time Myikyina should fall quickly and easily allowing you to bring Allied units ( British, Indian, US ) to attack down through the nice open terrain at and south of Schwebo.

C. Reinforce the bases you currently hold in the southern DEI and begin pushing northward towards Mindanao... This also has the benefit of cutting off the Southern SLOCs for the Japanese to get oil, fuel etc to the Philippines and Japan... This forces them to use the South China Sea to transport anything to Japan, simplifying your submarine war and meaning that if you ever get LBA onto the southern China coast Japan can basically kiss all benefits from holding Java etc goodbye. The number of bases close to eachother in this region will also maximise your LBA, allow you to save many ships damaged in surface combat and prevent KB from intervening safely... It can still intervene but every time it clobbers one base it runs the risk of being hit from 3 or 4 others. Eventually IJN CVs will start to be damaged and die.

D. I'd also keep the pressure up be island-hopping ( mostly under LBA cover ) across the Pacific north of Rabaul and from Guadalcanal to Rabaul. This isn't going to be a decisive thrust but it will force the Japanese to keep sending garrison troops to Pacific Islands and allow you to attrit their LBA and KB airgroups. He won't be able to resist using KB time and again to blunt your threatened invasions. At that point it is a numbers game. If he risks KB 10 times in a year to blunt the next island hop then, eventually, he'll get unlucky and a sub or bomber or mine or SC TF will get a hit on an IJN CV. Another benefit of this is that every time KB appears in the Pacific and suffers losses blunting an invasion there you can unleash another landing in the DEI... and vice versa. I don't mean a week later, I mean landing within 2 or 3 days of KB appearing elsewhere.

E. Maskirovka Operations
E1. You hold the island to the west of Java. I'd build it up, begin reconning Java repeatedly, particularly the western coastal hexes. I'd also consider running a few DD SC TFs into Javan SLOCs from time to time. Just 2 DDs per TF or even a single DD per TF will do fine. I'd also ship in a few good defensive units ( CD, lots of AAA, a Bde or two of troops and lots of fragments of other units. Eventually your opponent will recognise the recon, spot the units, possibly even bomb it a bit to gain more intel about whats there. At that point in time you can talk about building it up to protect KB from cutting your SLOCs to India, being a base for recon of Java in prep for your eventual invasion of Java etc.

His options then are:
a. Reinforce Java to resist invasion - a win for you as every IJA unit in Java is an IJA unit which isn't preventing your advance in Burma, Malaysia, Vietnam or China.
b. Invade the island - a win for you, even if he takes it, as again these units aren't in the theatre of decision and his cutting this SLOC to India doesn't prevent you using other, slower SLOCs and re-establishing rapid SLOCs once you take the Philippines.
c. KB strikes on the island from time to time to kill ships in ports etc - great, the AA will kill lots of KB planes and pilots.

If he points out the number of fragments there vs full units just reply that his recon and your fear of KB meant you are ferrying units up in small convoys to minimise losses and sometimes get scared and run back to Oz or India with them. He will love hearing this as it feeds into his assessment of KB and himself.

E2. North Pacific. Lots of recon, perhaps even some commando-style raids on any bases he hasn't yet garrisoned. Just try to get him to increase garrisons and deploy forces there.

E3. During the thrust towards the Philippines you'll have to take bases close to Java in order to have mutually supporting LBA bases. If it comes up during convo just also be sure to point out that they would be good kicking off bases for amphibious invasions of Java. Again, he'll have to defend against that and every IJA soldier sitting in Java, an island you don't ever intend to invade, is as useless to Japanese forces in China as if they had been killed in the ground war there.

This phase should be accomplished by the end of 1942 fairly easily.

Phase 2 - 1943, Red Arrows
A. Once the Burma Road is open you can use British, Indian and Chinese forces to push down into Malaysia and Vietnam whilst pushing other forces into China ( particularly engineer units to build up the bases rapidly and get supplies flowing ). As the bases build up and supplies flow you can push more and more combat power into China. The key point with China is only to commit as much combat power as you can supply. If you push in more than you can supply you actually end up weaker than if you had fewer, but supplied troops.

Obviously the long-term plan is to open up the good rail network from Malaysia and Vietnam into China and solve all of your supply problems that way.

B. Take China by pushing eastward and southward. The southern push to take Hong Kong and other such coastal cities is to give your LBA the bases they need to sink Japanese supply convoys running close to China.This will push them south to the northern shores of Borneo ( they can't go south of Borneo because you'll have taken the bases there and cut that SLOC ). The eastern push is the push into Korea... You should only do this once the British, American and Indian forces have taken all of Malaysia ( ideally including Singapore ) and are freed up to help.

This can be supported by a push into Vietnam and Malaysia... The push into Vietnam is very helpful in securing additional routes of supply into China. The push into Malaysia and southern Vietnam isn't necessary but it helps to complicate the enemy strategic situation, bolsters the narrative of an upcoming invasion of the DEI and helps promote Japanese misallocation of reserves, thus improving the odds that your main thrust in the theatre of strategic decision will be successful as at low a cost as possible.

C. At this stage Japanese supply convoys will have two options:
C1. run the gauntlet around Formosa - where you should be concentrating subs and have LBA ranging.
C2. run along northern Borneo, into Manilla, ship the supplies to ports in the Eastern Philippines and then ship from there into Japan.

Either way you can concentrate your subs and harass them with LBA based in Mindanao ( and nearby small islands ) and southern China.

D. Korea.
Ideally you would push into Korea. What you want to do there is decrease your commitment of US, British and Indian troops as you move through Korea. Let the Chinese take the lion's share of the losses the further south you move into Korea. Why?
D1. You actually want to rest your US, British and Indian forces for the invasion of Japan.
D2. You want him to notice, ask and be told that you're doing D1. Nothing will win you Korea more rapidly than telling him you're not worried about taking Korea but already planning for the next step.

People always think that maskirovka is about deception and lies. Sometimes it is but it is ALWAYS about shaping the ground to your benefit. Many times shaping the ground to your benefit can involve being very honest about what you're doing and why... and letting that knowledge gnaw at your opponent. I'd have no problem telling my opponent that the reason I was resting British, US and Indian troops as the invasion of Korea progressed was so that I could invade Japan as quickly as possible once Korea fell. Once your opponent hears that their thoughts will turn to the invasion of Japan, they'll begin prepping for that and that'll make the invasion of Korea proceed apace as forces which might have gone there instead stay in the Home Islands.

Once you get to Mindanao I also wouldn't be shy in telling your opponent precisely why you did that and I'd be happy to tell him why the Southern Chinese bases would be so important to me. Sure he might throw more forces into defending them once he hears that but the more airplanes and troops and ships he throws in defending them the more will be removed from his ORBAT when they fall.

E. Invading the Philippines is optional. It really depends on:
E1. How much spare force you have available to you that you cannot deploy into China rapidly
E2. How much you need to divert his reserves from China.
E3. How much you want to mess with his mind and put him under mental pressure.... By this point in time if I wanted this game to continue into 1944 I'd be concerned that my opponent would quit if I invaded the Philippines so you'd have to bear that in mind if you choose to invade them. On the other hand it is good practice and would completely cut off his SLOCs from the DEI whilst providing you with much shorter SLOC from CONUSA to China.

What I mean by this is that you could, if all goes well, move units and supplies from CONUSA, through the Marshalls, to Mindanao, then up the Philippine coast west of Manilla and into southern China, greatly shortening the time taken for new US forces to enter the land war in China/Korea once you have taken the Philippines.

Personally I'd invade the Philippines because it allows you to complicate his strategic situation and invite him to misallocate ground forces from China, thus speeding your romp into Korea.

You should then find yourself entering 1944 with:
a. Your USN CV fleets replenished,
b. Japanese supplies in the Home Islands in a critical situation
c. Many experienced Allied ground combat formations rested and prepped for Japan.

Phase 3:
Home Islands invasion from the unsinkable aircraft carrier that is Korea.... if you want to test strategic bombing Korea is also a great base from which to carry that out. Hell, even twin-engined planes are great strategic bombers from Korea.

Even if your opponent plays to the death this should be over no later than March 1944. I wouldn't expect it to get that far though. I expect that once he sense your shift to a new land-based/under LBA at almost all times strategy, asks you about it and you confirm it to him he will attempt a few KB interventions, find them unsuccessful and unsatisfying and probably concede/argue that you're going against the spirit of the game/argue for HRs to be imposed to prevent your plan.

Obviously you're free to do what you want but the basic thrust is that those bases he has left you in the southern DEI are a dagger poised at a critical weakness ( his SLOCs to the HI ) and are relatively easily exploited. Combine that with a rationalisation of the Chinese defences, freeing up of 1/3rd of that army and its redeployment into Burma in a co-ordinated effort to isolate and then take Myitkyina and then pushes south and east and this should be over as a competition by September to December 1943 with the invasion of the HI to follow in March to June 1944. I think it should be an interesting game from your perspective though and a great opportunity to see how you can defeat someone who, theoretically, has much greater combat power to bring to bear. The problem with that combat power is that you can render much of it ineffective by refusing naval engagements far from your LBA and render other large portions of it irrelevant by forcing it to be garrisoning islands you don't need to invade.

They key to all of this ( and something your opponent clearly hasn't done ) is to decide now how and when you want to win this game and then measure EVERY day's decisions against that grand strategic objective. If a daily action doesn't fit into that grand strategic objective ( how and when to achieve victory ) then you shouldn't do it. It it does further that objective then do it. If you consciously think that way then you will avoid the frittering away of men, materiel and time on strategic fripperies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 10/26/2018 1:25:18 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 38
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 5:22:08 PM   
dave sindel

Thank you very much for taking the time to lay out such a detailed and specific course of action. I appreciate it greatly. The comment about Maskirovka not necessarily being about deception really got my attention.

Parts of your plan are already underway - the Burma portion. There is one US Division there and another on the way, as well as the 6th & 7th Aussie divs. I've started shifting troops towards Mykitkyina with an eye towards then moving south towards Schwebo from there.

The Aleutians have not seen a single sign of Japanese recon or interest. I have been quietly building up Attu, Shemya Island, Adak with an eye towards an invasion of the Kurile Islands in the spring of 1943. My thinking was to draw KB north and away from the main thrust from Darwin north through Ambon, Menado towards PI and to develop some airfields to strat bomb Hokkaido and points south.

He tried to take Cocos Islands - twice - and failed. I'm not sure if he gave up, but Cocos has been built into a real bastion. 200+Av behind 5 forts. Plus some British SCTF's lurking undetected to the west of the island. It will take a huge effort to take it now.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 39
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 7:45:36 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Then the onus is on the Japanese player to evict the Chinese from x3 urban terrain.

Just a minor point here, Canton's terrain is Heavy Urban (HU), which IIRC is x4 defensive terrain.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Post #: 40
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 7:46:30 PM   
Nemo121

rustysi,

Even better

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 41
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 7:55:40 PM   
rustysi

Nemo has said it all. I'd just like to add some comments.

quote:

but the basic thrust is that those bases he has left you in the southern DEI are a dagger poised at a critical weakness

This was a huge mistake on the part of your opponent, its a clear invitation for a thrust from this region.

China, IMHO, is his other major blunder. I used to think China was just a sink-hole for Japanese forces and supply. Fact is if Japan refuses to act in the region she gives up the whole war. She desperately needs China's resources in order to maintain her position as long as possible. In addition to that, by ignoring China she's allowing her to build up the strength to at some point take the fight to Japan. By that time Japan should be under full Allied pressure and this would just be the coup-de-grace.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 42
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/26/2018 7:56:09 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

rustysi,

Even better

Absolutely.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 43
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/27/2018 2:18:20 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Nemo has said it all. I'd just like to add some comments.

quote:

but the basic thrust is that those bases he has left you in the southern DEI are a dagger poised at a critical weakness

This was a huge mistake on the part of your opponent, its a clear invitation for a thrust from this region.

China, IMHO, is his other major blunder. I used to think China was just a sink-hole for Japanese forces and supply. Fact is if Japan refuses to act in the region she gives up the whole war. She desperately needs China's resources in order to maintain her position as long as possible. In addition to that, by ignoring China she's allowing her to build up the strength to at some point take the fight to Japan. By that time Japan should be under full Allied pressure and this would just be the coup-de-grace.

It's going to be an interesting game from here on out. Your comments reflect my thinking, but I'm still new to the game and wanted some input from others with much more experience.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 44
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/27/2018 6:38:20 PM   
wegman58

Had my question answered in the thread.

< Message edited by wegman58 -- 10/27/2018 6:44:25 PM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 45
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 1:24:54 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

D. Korea.
Ideally you would push into Korea. What you want to do there is decrease your commitment of US, British and Indian troops as you move through Korea. Let the Chinese take the lion's share of the losses the further south you move into Korea. Why?
D1. You actually want to rest your US, British and Indian forces for the invasion of Japan.
D2. You want him to notice, ask and be told that you're doing D1. Nothing will win you Korea more rapidly than telling him you're not worried about taking Korea but already planning for the next step.

D1 and D2 are very effective in real war, but that is really not sporting of you to do in this game. To out and out lie about something then do it is not good sportsmanship.

My two-cents.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 46
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 5:59:36 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

D. Korea.

D1 and D2 are very effective in real war, but that is really not sporting of you to do in this game. To out and out lie about something then do it is not good sportsmanship.

My two-cents.

What lie? He is pulling troops back to rest up for an invasion of Japan and telling his opponent just that. It is up to his opponent to decide whether to bail out of Korea or keep fighting and prepare Japan with other troops. Most (or maybe all) of the Korean Army are restricted anyway and there are probably not enough PP to buy out a significant unit to help in Japan.

Once the Allies have a couple of good sized Korean airfields the Strat Bombing campaign will doom Japan anyway (unless it is a scenario that lets Japan build massive numbers of cutting edge fighters).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 47
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 7:22:57 AM   
Pentakomo

This game is gone for Japan.

< Message edited by Pentakomo -- 10/28/2018 7:25:06 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 9:05:28 AM   
Encircled

Its a game.

If you want use e-mails as a part of the game, then thats ok.

I tend to check there is a turn in my dropbox before reading an e-mail, and if there are potentially juicy hints in the e-mail, then I try to see if there are other hints as well that back it up in the game.

I have to be honest, my stock e-mail to opponents tends to be "Back to you!" whether I've just sank the Yamato or lost my entire carrier fleet.

(in reply to Pentakomo)
Post #: 49
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 11:08:06 AM   
RogerJNeilson

As I often get turns via email when I am out and about I have agreed with my opponents that it is always a terse message as I cannot see what is being referred to. Other separate emails occur mainly when one person has become somewhat annoyed by something I have done........

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 50
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 12:52:46 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

As I often get turns via email when I am out and about I have agreed with my opponents that it is always a terse message as I cannot see what is being referred to. Other separate emails occur mainly when one person has become somewhat annoyed by something I have done........

Roger

My opponent in this game is a man of few words. Typically a turn comes in without any message in the email. Just the turn attached to a blank email.

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 51
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/28/2018 3:54:43 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Whilst I enjoy the friendship and camaraderie of fighting against others I do appreciate taciturn when it comes to comments on moves..... I do think its not as if the enemy HQ kept ringing up mine and having a chat about things.... but each to their own, and if an opponent is making a mistake you know what Napoleon said.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

Post #: 52
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/29/2018 3:45:01 PM   
Skyros

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Roger

My opponent in this game is a man of few words. Typically a turn comes in without any message in the email. Just the turn attached to a blank email.

How uncivilized, at least Spence and I discuss the weather and such. I hear its wet in the pacific northwest.

Post #: 53
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/29/2018 9:08:51 PM   
Anachro

Sometimes I like to say a few words. A lot of the time after doing the work in the turn I guess typing extra words in the email can feel a little tedious, so I alternate between terse replies and longer ones.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 54
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/30/2018 3:17:16 AM   
PaxMondo

Java is oft-times an unguarded prison camp for IJ forces … IJ players are frequently so reluctant to evacuate forces and then they are bypassed and useless.

Pax

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 55
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/30/2018 4:04:40 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Looks like you have your strategy pretty well mapped out for you. It would be very interesting to see an AAR on the rest of your war.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

Why are your bases in India red for supply? Either you haven't been bringing enough supply in, or you have some bases set to hoard it all. Either way, that should be addressed. India shouldn't be in the red for supply.

You look pretty low in China too, but that could be more normal. That could limit your ambitions...

an excellent question that has me perplexed... I've been bringing supply into Calcutta & Chittagong on a regular basis from Cape Town and Aden. I'm definitely open to some advice in fixing this issue

quote:

I've been bringing supply into Calcutta & Chittagong on a regular basis from Cape Town and Aden. I'm definitely open to some advice in fixing this issue

It doesn't look like anyone addressed this. I would run Aden to Karachi and Cape Town to Bombay (or somewhere north if the KB is a threat) supply runs, and then use smaller, lower VP ships to run supplies from Calcutta to Chittagong and Akyab. The Indian rail net will send plenty of supplies to Calcutta, but I've found that Chittagong and Akyab don't get enough without supply convoys.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 56
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/30/2018 6:43:43 AM   
Yaab

Look at the local railroads.The Calcutta hub connects to the Ledo-Chittagong-Akyab area by one crucial base, namely Rangpur. Open Rangpur screen and you will see that the base has max supply of 450 per turn. All bases "south" of Rangpur also have low supply draw levels. The manual is silent on this, but I guess the max supply levels override your upped supply spinners. Thus, if Chitagong asks vor 20,000 supllies via railroad, then most of the supply will be stuck in the Rangpur bottleneck. Since the bases "south" of Calcutta produce little supply on their own ( measly production in Dacca and Chittagong), you have a creeping disaster on your hands. Also, Calcutta has a static command HQ which sucks supply, plus if no genuine need for supply elswhere, it sends its surplus to Bombay, which is the biggest port in the India economy. Thus, you safest bet is to ship supply from Calcutta to Chittagong by ships, and stockpile it in Chittagong.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 10/30/2018 6:44:52 AM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 57
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/30/2018 12:05:11 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Look at the local railroads.The Calcutta hub connects to the Ledo-Chittagong-Akyab area by one crucial base, namely Rangpur. Open Rangpur screen and you will see that the base has max supply of 450 per turn. All bases "south" of Rangpur also have low supply draw levels. The manual is silent on this, but I guess the max supply levels override your upped supply spinners. Thus, if Chitagong asks vor 20,000 supllies via railroad, then most of the supply will be stuck in the Rangpur bottleneck. Since the bases "south" of Calcutta produce little supply on their own ( measly production in Dacca and Chittagong), you have a creeping disaster on your hands. Also, Calcutta has a static command HQ which sucks supply, plus if no genuine need for supply elswhere, it sends its surplus to Bombay, which is the biggest port in the India economy. Thus, you safest bet is to ship supply from Calcutta to Chittagong by ships, and stockpile it in Chittagong.

How about getting supply to Imphal and the other bases in Burma ? They are all in red for supply and I've not been able to get them to draw anything...

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 58
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/30/2018 1:00:58 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

How about getting supply to Imphal and the other bases in Burma ? They are all in red for supply and I've not been able to get them to draw anything...

This is why Allies like to conquer Ramree and load it up with stuff. Because with all the restrictions and roads it is nigh impossible to feed Burma invasion from Imphal. Not to mention monsoon.
You can march command HQ into one particular base to draw additional supply, but that does not solve the underlying problem

Post #: 59
RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy - 10/30/2018 1:09:02 PM   
Yaab

I guess you would have to develop Rangpur, Tezpur and Silchar , so they dont have any max supply draw limits, and then the supply from Calcutta can flow freely through the minor railroad to Silchar and then to Imphal. You could also try shipping supply from Calcutta to Chittagong, stockpile supply there for some time, and once you accumulate a hefty stockpile, disable the stockpiling and let if flow freely through Comilla and Silchar. By dumping supplies in Chittagong you shorten the route the supplies have to travel via railroads and those undeveloped bases.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Finding Nemo, and a Discussion on China Strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI