Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US Mid to Endgame strategies vs AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> US Mid to Endgame strategies vs AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US Mid to Endgame strategies vs AI - 6/12/2003 12:20:20 AM   
dpazuk

While the FAQ and Spooky's site has opening move strategies posted for the US, I haven't found anything with regards to mid to engame strategies posted, so please forgive my newbie questions in this regard. :D

Currently playing my first game vs the AI: Modified Scenario 17 (Midway has occured) as downloaded from Spooky's site (Blackcat?) Historical, 100% for both sides.

Situation: Early January 1943 and Lunga, Gilli Gilli, and Buna are firmly in allied hands. Bombing Shortland and Lae like clockwork. Have one carrier group made up of 3 CVs operating out of Cookstown.

For the Japanese AI, they have only one fully functioning carrier..and as such they are keeping it close to home and not letting it wander out to be bombed by my LBA.

As for New Guinea, should I do the overland route with my troops or do Naval landings? The reason I ask, is I would prefer not to have to deal with Coastal Guns (Lae is chock full as is Shortland for that matter) What do you usually do in a situation like this?

I have loads and I mean loads of base forces and SBDs now piling up in Brisbane and Nemaue (sp) and I get the feeling I am not utilizing my base forces to my best advantage. However, I would rather have to defend only a few key bases then have my troops spread too thinly...any suggestions? Am I being too cautious against the AI?

Where would you be in January 1943 as the allies? Any suggestions?

Blah Blah Blah
Post #: 1
- 6/12/2003 12:43:33 AM   
thantis

You should bypass Shortlands entirely & take Bonis (or any of the other bases on that island). You can leap frog from their, build up your medium bomber bases & then use them to hammer Rabaul.

If might have to pay a price in damaged & sunk transports (since you might be out of friendly aircover until you can get a base up and running, but its always worked for me.

If you can get two or three nice size bases in range of Rabaul, you can usually shut down the airfields pretty quick. Also, you can use those bases as a jumping off point for your direct assault against Rabaul - though bring lots of minesweepers & be prepared for airstrikes from Kavieng & Truk.

Northern NG can usually wait, & a quick grab at Gasmata can give you interdiction capabilities against any convoys heading south to resupply them.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon.....

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 2
- 6/12/2003 12:48:21 AM   
dpazuk

Sounds good :)

The AI must have at least 4 CD units in Shortland and given how my transports were shot to hell and back when I invaded Lunga to take it back from the AI, I am loathe to repeat that scenario :)

Blah Blah Blah

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 3
- 6/12/2003 4:21:43 AM   
Hartley

As has been pointed out me nefore, BBs are the way to silence those pesky coastal batteries.

In fact, I haven't found any other use for them that would justify the risk.

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 4
- 6/12/2003 5:51:43 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thantis
[B]You should bypass Shortlands entirely & take Bonis (or any of the other bases on that island). You can leap frog from their, build up your medium bomber bases & then use them to hammer Rabaul.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, hit them where they ain't. With the scores of Seabee units the Allies receive in '43 you can build up beach dots into ample air bases in no time.

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 5
Re: US Mid to Endgame strategies vs AI - 6/12/2003 7:35:35 PM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpazuk
[B]
As for New Guinea, should I do the overland route with my troops or do Naval landings? The reason I ask, is I would prefer not to have to deal with Coastal Guns (Lae is chock full as is Shortland for that matter) What do you usually do in a situation like this?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Try and avoid going overland....your troops will be stuffed by the time they get there. Take the sea route. Use Bombardment TFs to silence/reduse the coastal guns....and make sure you have heaps of air cover!

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 6
- 6/15/2003 11:44:59 AM   
dpazuk

Thank you all for the tips..I made a grab at gasmata and the few forces the AI had there were quickly overtaken.

Now to supply it.... :)

Blah Blah Blah

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 7
- 6/16/2003 5:33:13 PM   
jnoory

I have a strategy inquiry regarding Yamamoto's Prophecy:

It is Februrary 13, 1943, and I've just retaken Gili-Gili as the Allies. I own Buna, Dobadura, Woodlark Island and Tulagi. Lunga is a Japanese fortress, with a bazillion troops and Level 8 fortifications. Still, it's worth a lot of points.

Question 1: Should I try to capture Lunga at all? If so, I first plan to put forces into Irau and build up an airbase their quickly. I'm just concerned that it could take forever to capture Lunga.

Question 2: Should I instead take Munda, Buka, Buin, Gasmata, and perhaps Finshaven and Saidor? (The hit 'em where they mostly ain't strategy)? The Japanese do have troops on Munda and Finshaven, but not at the others (I don't think).

Question 3: Is taking Rabaul even possible? Should I send the entire Allied war effort there? (The Bettys are in Truk -- can they hit and ships I send towards Rabaul from Truk?)

The IJN has lost nearly 250 ships, probably half of them transports, but also 4 BBs, 4 CAs and a CVL. The Allies have lost just over 100 ships including the CV Hornet, a CA, 2 CLs and a bunch of transports/oilers.

Should I go for Lunga? Or is there a better strategy I could take at this point?

Thanks,

John Noory

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 8
My $0.02 - 6/16/2003 6:47:26 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Hi John,
As I said, I recommend the 'hit them were they ain't' approach. Bypass Lunga for the time being and max out Irau, Tulagi and the Russell Is., thereby isolating Gudalcanal. You can take it later and collect the VPs after the garrison has been weakened by starvation and disease (keep bombing and bomarding to reduce supplies). Tulagi port is quickly brought to size 3 to allow disbanding TFs, and a size 1 airbase allows local CAP, although I would max it out for more capacity.

There are several other locations on New Georgia besides Munda that can support bases, go for them them after you have Russel Is. base operational. Use APDs/DDS on Fast Transport to drop off Raiders and Seabees, use barges staging from the Russels for additional supply deliveries, fly in a base force and supplies as soon as a size 1 airfield is ready, station fighter squadrons on the new base and start bringing in the heavy stuff and the permanent garrison with small APs/AKs protected by LRCAP from both ends. After New Georgia is built up, repeat the performance with Bougainville. The AI usually reacts in force only if you try to steal one of his bases. But keep your capital ships nearby just in case.

Frontal assault on Rabaul is too risky IMO because it is fortified and in all likelyhood has a strong garrison and ample supplies to last through a long siege.

(in reply to dpazuk)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> US Mid to Endgame strategies vs AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI