Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about sps-49 radar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question about sps-49 radar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about sps-49 radar - 10/30/2018 4:42:36 PM   
AceOfSpadeszzzzzz

So I found out that sps-49 radar is surprisingly good at detecting stealth fighters, even better than modern radar systems like AMDR or JY-26(Detection range against f-22:65nm for jy-26 45 nm for amdr and 70nm for sps-49), what's the reason?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Question about sps-49 radar - 10/30/2018 5:14:34 PM   
Sharana

Sounds about right. The reason is the wavelength.

(in reply to AceOfSpadeszzzzzz)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about sps-49 radar - 10/31/2018 12:48:19 PM   
Bert Blitzkrieg

If you want some more info on radar: http://www.radartutorial.eu/index.en.html

(in reply to Sharana)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about sps-49 radar - 10/31/2018 5:56:32 PM   
AceOfSpadeszzzzzz

I do have heard that radars with low frequency can be very effective against stealth fighters, but still it's a little hard to believe that such an outdated radar can be this useful... JY-26 is also a low frequency radar built to detect stealth fighters and is more modernized(early 2000s UHF/VHF AESA), but apparently it's not as powerful as this one...

< Message edited by AceOfSpadeszzzzzz -- 10/31/2018 6:02:47 PM >

(in reply to Sharana)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about sps-49 radar - 10/31/2018 6:30:18 PM   
Sharana

quote:

ORIGINAL: AceOfSpadeszzzzzz

I do have heard that radars with low frequency can be very effective against stealth fighters, but still it's a little hard to believe that such an outdated radar can be this useful... JY-26 is also a low frequency radar built to detect stealth fighters and is more modernized(early 2000s UHF/VHF AESA), but apparently it's not as powerful as this one...

Actually the old radars are more effective at detecting those relatively slow RCS targets. But they are obsolete and hard to maintain and tend to interfere with communications freqs (such as GSM and other nearby bands). They are easy to jam, they are 2D and very inaccurate - can tell there is something out there, can't even give you height as sps-49 2D. Hypersonic targets, ballistic missiles and so on are no go for such radars.

The JY-26 you mentioned on the other hand is new, build with AESA technology, it's 3D and also really hard to jam. It's way more accurate at actually tracking the targets and won't have problems with hypersonic targets. That makes it a lot better then SPS-49 as it's not enough to just detect something out there and the difference isn't that big without even counting the other points that are also very important and shouldn't be skipped when comparing radars.

(in reply to AceOfSpadeszzzzzz)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question about sps-49 radar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI