Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviets Activated....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/16/2018 2:29:03 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I beleive this accurate. Even if he had been prepared for the incursion (which he wasn't), it was too soon. Maybe, and it really is a maybe, IJ could take on the bear in mid-42 successfully. Never been done n a PBEM that I know of, so we have no evidence. I think it would be extremely difficult to pull off against a competent allied player, but maybe.
Maybe if you got CK early and then turned tot he bear, maybe. Clearly, if you take both China and SOV out of the game early, then '45 looks completely different.

NJP has done some work here (scen 2), in activating the Bear...Japan simply doesn't have the infrastructure to launch an early attack on the Bear, and Japan desperately needs to inflict substantial losses in the SRA and Burma and China before any attack.

Since this is a scenario one style game well enough said there.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3331
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/17/2018 10:08:15 AM   
PaxMondo

Lost 2 attempts, will try again later.

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3332
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/17/2018 3:06:04 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Maybe if you got CK early and then turned tot he bear, maybe. Clearly, if you take both China and SOV out of the game early, then '45 looks completely different.

Only after CK taking, cause Japan would really need all the Chinese divisions to bottle up Soviets in the Vlad pocket and also restrict the Mongolia/Blagoveschensk groups. Soviets are the most potent Allied ground force up to maybe 44, and their artillery is simply the best. They can chew through a lot of stuff when concentrated. Goes without saying that timing to cut all the border RRs at start is also essential

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3333
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/18/2018 12:57:39 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Only after CK taking, cause Japan would really need all the Chinese divisions to bottle up Soviets in the Vlad pocket and also restrict the Mongolia/Blagoveschensk groups. Soviets are the most potent Allied ground force up to maybe 44, and their artillery is simply the best. They can chew through a lot of stuff when concentrated. Goes without saying that timing to cut all the border RRs at start is also essential

Exactly.
IJ Air force will be the determinant, it has to negate the SOV arty.
I have little doubt that tactically, this is achievable (taking the SOV out of the game like the CHI). BUT strategically will it work?
The supply cost is going to be enormous. The supply cost for CHI is already a huge burden on IJ. This is what will determine if this really works or not.

Pax

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 3334
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/18/2018 1:17:10 PM   
ITAKLinus

Of course it doesn't

Urss can be a funny campaign but it doesn't provide precious oil to the jap.

What's even worse is that everything has a cost opportunity in this game and attacking Russia I think it's the very worse ration someone could achieve

India is, by far, the best place a Japanese can conquer. Economically speaking it's a sort of heaven, but it's horribly hard to capture.

Australia is the second best with respect to India. It doesn't provide huge economic strategic benefits but it's relatively easy to conquer.

Russia is terribly hard to capture and it doesn't provide economical benefits, so... what are we talking about?

Regarding China I am currently pursuing a different path. I have conquered everything out of CK plains and I am defending q line roughly at Kweyiang.
It much cheaper than attacking CK plains and it provides almost the same benefits.

Francesco

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3335
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/18/2018 2:26:38 PM   
adarbrauner

Well actually in "my" mod Russian Siberian locations shall receive a very great boost of VP points, to try simulating the huge strategical and political effect of a successful Japanese intervention in the Russian war, and to make the endeavor more palatable and rewarding for the Japanese player;

however, I still hardly think I would take on Russia; all the resources and reserves, of the Army in particular, are needed to
try
winning the Western Allies (yes...believe it...yeah...);

but still... if and when the stalemate is reached in the Pacific and Indian Ocean...so I may think to use aptly the Manchurian army to try turning things to the Axis side, globally ;

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 10/18/2018 2:29:28 PM >

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 3336
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/19/2018 1:29:57 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

Of course it doesn't

Urss can be a funny campaign but it doesn't provide precious oil to the jap.

What's even worse is that everything has a cost opportunity in this game and attacking Russia I think it's the very worse ration someone could achieve

India is, by far, the best place a Japanese can conquer. Economically speaking it's a sort of heaven, but it's horribly hard to capture.

Australia is the second best with respect to India. It doesn't provide huge economic strategic benefits but it's relatively easy to conquer.

Russia is terribly hard to capture and it doesn't provide economical benefits, so... what are we talking about?

Regarding China I am currently pursuing a different path. I have conquered everything out of CK plains and I am defending q line roughly at Kweyiang.
It much cheaper than attacking CK plains and it provides almost the same benefits.

Its about fighting SOV in late 42 or in 45. In 42 they have little to no air force; IJ should be able to control the air in '42 if planned for.
Taking SOV out of the war by mid 43 … that means 2 of the largest AV armies assembled against IJ out of the picture.
I think that is quite a good reason to consider taking out the SOV.
Going for India after that? Yes, that might be a good idea … I agree, India has a lot of economic assets that can be seized.

Pax

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 3337
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/19/2018 1:32:17 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

You may not have faced the CHI hordes in '44. Those +700 AV divs if they have supply are monsters. Coupled with SOV Armor and arty, they can smash through any defense IJ has.
So, you are not quite focused on the same aspects that I am ….

Pax

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 3338
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/19/2018 1:48:35 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

Going for India after that? Yes, that might be a good idea … I agree, India has a lot of economic assets that can be seized.

You need a lot of PPs avaiable to do that, really a lot, depending on what mod and how large its pps allocation, nand on your set of HR regarding required expenditure of pps;
Me for myself, for example, play very conservatively, and require the expenditure of pps for any change of sector of competence, for both land and air units;

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3339
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/19/2018 3:30:51 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

You need a lot of PPs avaiable to do that, really a lot, depending on what mod and how large its pps allocation, nand on your set of HR regarding required expenditure of pps;
Me for myself, for example, play very conservatively, and require the expenditure of pps for any change of sector of competence, for both land and air units;

Yeah, but I'm talking about after both CHI and SOV have been taken out … 8/43 or later … by then you've had time to buy out pretty much what you want/need no matter what your rules are.
One advantage of going after SOV is that you don't need to buy out the CHI/MAN forces … you can focus for a while on the Gen Def HQ forces.
Then you can ask about do you need to pay PP's for MAN troops that go overland to India AFTER SOV is contained. The MAN assignment is no longer reasonable, discussion with players etc.

Pax

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 3340
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/20/2018 2:46:39 PM   
Lowpe

9/30/42

A few raids on Cam Ranh Bay generate several naval engagements, and the Allies swamp the route with subs...getting shots on two different carriers and missing. Soo many subs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3341
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/20/2018 2:48:36 PM   
Lowpe

Naval search...I knew there was PT boats, but was hoping the sweeping destroyers would catch them, and the big girl here would catch a cruiser force.

Not so, two engagements with massed PT boats and Yamato also puts the finishing touches on the AKE TF attacked earlier by the sweeping destroyer squadrons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3342
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/20/2018 2:51:07 PM   
Lowpe

Pakse falls to massed allied tanks shock attacking, Tourane holds barely (even with massed naval bombardments), and Temuloh fall (north of Singers).

Allied land strength is simply overwhelming.

Another good day in the inflicting losses on the Allies...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3343
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/22/2018 6:55:47 PM   
Miller

Just skimmed over this for the first time. Kudos for going with the accidental Soviet activation, I don't think many others would have done so! Makes me feel better about the current position I am in in my game...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3344
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/25/2018 3:39:03 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 3, 1942

The Massive Soviet Armored strike here might be blunted, but Japan cannot make any headway either. Meanwhile, other ares of the Soviet line offer no opportunity either for Japan....

The supply costs in this huge long front are simply amazing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3345
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/25/2018 3:43:40 PM   
Lowpe

Can you say disaster?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3346
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/25/2018 3:45:42 PM   
Lowpe

Malaya and area...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3347
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/25/2018 4:38:00 PM   
ITAKLinus

Well, I understand that facing SOV in mid '45 is a nightmare but it's very very far in the game. I feel that most of the game has already been decided somewhere else when SOV hordes arrive.

Of course they are a problem, but if you have USA strat bombing your industry at short range and no more industrial power... Well you are done in any case.

On the other side, if you are somehow holding the ground in mid '45, SOV will cause you a lot of troubles but you can try to slow them down for some months.

Regarding China: raw AVs are not very indicative. Good Chinese troops are a big problem but they still lack of heavy equipement and there is no way they can have sufficient supplies just holding CK plains.
Those damn cities provide them some industrial power but it's nothing that changes the balance in the Theatre.

India. It's horribly complex to attack India. I landed there at the end of January and I still had to conquer Burma so it has been a very brutal campaign with thousands of squad destroyed and many LCUs razed.
Moreover, I have been blocked around Calcutta for 4 months.

Therefore, I do not advice to attack India unless you are so sure of what you are doing that you can bear the burden of months and months of terrible losses everywhere.
On the other side, now that I am besieging Hyderabad and Bombay with just USA reinforcements to contest me, I feel that attacking India is a big deal. Well, 'big' is an euphemism...

Securing India provides a lot of OIL (300 undamaged from Magwe and 70 from Ledo), RES, HI and LI. And, something very important, it blows up Commonwealth's armies: they have a chronic shortage of everything and if you destroy some divisions leaving the others barely alive, it becomes really difficoult for an Allied player to gather a threatening force for a very long time.

I decided to bet on India rather than other places and I am completely satisfied with my choice, even if very bloody (in August I have used 800 IJA inf squads for example).

Francesco

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3348
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/31/2018 3:31:00 PM   
Lowpe

10/5/1942

IJAAF bombers are hitting hard this major Chinese push. Today Tojos' swept away the P38s, and for now the 4E beasts haven't had success hitting the IJA troopers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3349
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/2/2018 2:00:40 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 6, 1942

Another major Soviet thrust...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3350
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/2/2018 2:22:27 PM   
jwolf

It still floors me that the Soviets have such huge forces available in the Far East at a time when historically they were in a desperate fight for survival against the Germans.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3351
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/2/2018 2:47:25 PM   
mind_messing

My thoughts of the subject of beating the Soviets after Chungking:

- The correct move for the entire Chinese Army is to run on Dec 7th for Burma, and thence India if Burma falls. Burma/India has supply, China does not.
- The IJA China Expeditionary Army needs to move to destroy as much of the Chinese Army as possible, following it to Burma as necessary.
- The Kwantung Army needs to support the China Expeditionary Army to the fullest extent possible in the capture of China.
- Afterwards, the best elements of both the CEA and Kwantung Army need to be picked off for deployment against the Allied forces in the Pacific.
- The IJA is vastly outnumbered throughout most of the game: there's little value on bringing more on.

quote:

It still floors me that the Soviets have such huge forces available in the Far East at a time when historically they were in a desperate fight for survival against the Germans.

The issue with the Soviets was never manpower (at least not until the very late war) but equipment shortages. The Soviet forces in the East are all at near full TOE, so it makes sense that there's manpower to funnel in to the units.

However, it's mainly a balance decision. If the Soviets had zero or very low levels of replacements, then it would be the meta move for the IJA to immediately attack the Soviets on Dec 7th to start a war of attrition that they'd be certain to win before '45. Then you'd have the usual tears on the forum about ahistorical play.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3352
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/2/2018 4:14:17 PM   
tarkalak

Alfred once commented that the developers had very limited data about the Soviet forces in the Far East.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3353
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:23:56 PM   
Lowpe

October 7, 1942

These two heavy cruisers have been stuck in a heavily damaged state since Jan of 1941, prior to Soviet activation. They got into a slugging match with some Allies cruisers near Singers, and then they retreated north up thru the Malacca Straits rather than east or south. Hence, they have been out of the game for the entire war...

Here they make a mad dash for Miri and are caught close to Singers...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3354
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:24:53 PM   
Lowpe

So many subs...and the IJN is mounting an attempt to rescue some troops south of Cam Ranh Bay.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3355
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:25:35 PM   
Lowpe

Allied subs finally connect with one torpedo...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/4/2018 12:26:04 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3356
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:27:22 PM   
Lowpe

Most likely both Soviet Tank Divisions here...infiltrating deep. Huge piles of Soviet artillery position are to the north shelling.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3357
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:28:37 PM   
Lowpe

No joy for the cruisers, by the end of the day everyone is sunk. Allies even sortied PBYs against them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3358
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:31:06 PM   
Lowpe

Soviet tactics are to tie down the IJA with equal to slightly lesser numbers but concentrate their artillery in huge batteries while sending their tanks forward to infiltrate in the west, while in the east they are just used overwhelming force.

Chinese, supported by a few Soviets, just used overwhelming attacks...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3359
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 11/4/2018 12:38:00 PM   
Lowpe

Imagine the scene, the dispirited defenders of Cam Ranh Bay and points west huddled onto this outcropping being shelled, attacked and bombed daily when the IJN pulls up with many destroyers seeking to rescue some of the troops...but there is only space for 20-25%.

Chaos!

There are two squadrons of PT boats now north of Hue...they were hunting the KB.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/4/2018 12:41:43 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3360
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI