Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Understanding the turn sequence

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Understanding the turn sequence Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Understanding the turn sequence - 11/3/2018 6:57:18 PM   
hazxan

I'm trying to understand how the Air and Ground parts of the turn interact. Having checked the manual, I see the basic outline, but still have questions on the details.

It may just be me, but I've never really "got" how the separate week long air and ground turns work. You run a whole week of air missions, followed by rewinding to the start of the week and running a week of ground moves. I see the interdiction points on the hexes. But what if during the air phase, there's a hex that's enemy owned on monday, so I bomb it into oblivion on wednesday, thursday and friday. Then on my ground turn, time has rewound to week start and I move one of my units in on the tuesday, to the hex I just bombed. Did I end up bombing my own units?

Or what if there an airbase that performs a whole week of flying sorties, but in the ground phase that same airbase is taken over by the enemy half way through the week? What happens to the damage done by it's sorties in the second half of the week? They surely shouldn't have been flown?

And when you factor in that each side is taking turns - one side runs a week of air, then ground, then the other side does the same. It feels like impossible events must surely be happening. Units could be getting damaged by other units that were previously destroyed...and so on.

Is it a "turn based game" compromise that you just accept in return for not having week long turns, in contrast to the day turns of WITP?

< Message edited by hazxan -- 11/3/2018 7:02:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Understanding the turn sequence - 11/3/2018 10:09:02 PM   
loki100

my feeling is yes, some of this is endemic to the yougo-igo game system. Wego solves some but often runs into problem with post-WW1 games and the greater mobility that resulted. So neither - I believe is a perfect fit.

some specifics.

If you put down interdiction it is there all week but only affects the enemy. You can bomb your own hexes - a very nasty trick as if can really catch out your opponent as they advance. But in your airphase you can supress interdiction (land and sea) by running AS missions over the hex(es) - so there is a bit of interaction between the phases.

But yes, if you displace an airbase that was used to hammer you earlier on, the original damage stays in the system.

If there is a solution its in smaller time scales and a wego design. Frank Hunter's Piercing Fortress Europa does this and its interesting to see how it works out - but also Italy by its geography constrains movement.

(in reply to hazxan)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Understanding the turn sequence Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI