Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

playing on Mac with Wineskin?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> playing on Mac with Wineskin? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 5:47:59 PM   
maxb

I am trying to get the game running in Wineskin.

I can install it, open the game, and get it running. But the problem is mouse clicks and different actions take FOREVER!

I mean it clearly basically works but there just seems to be an issue with really long delays after clicking things, and taking certain actions in the game.

Not sure why that is. Any advice?
Post #: 1
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 5:56:41 PM   
maxb

what I don't get is when I click a menu item the CPU blasts up to 99% from a low level

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 2
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 6:47:52 PM   
Cabido

I use Windows and notice the same lag when clicking buttons, mainly in the intro screen and the scenario selection screen. Sometimes it takes a huge amount of time to change a selected scenario. I've noticed the peak in CPU usage, too.

I've just designed a graphic mod for the interface, but the fact is that what people perceive as a clumsy interface has much more to do with the delay when clicking some buttons and some problems with buttons coordinates and clickable areas. Things like the lack of an indication for the active area to move a report window around, no change to buttons when hovering over it and the choice for a small, but all embracing, corner area to move the map around, which is very difficult to control (I would like to switch off this thing - don't know if it is possible - and use only keyboard arrows). Nevertheless, with fast response times, even an old style interface should be usable, since for the rest, there is always some workaround. This is no game breaker to me, but I imagine some players will give up before being able to get immersed into the game mechanics in order to appreciate it. It would be worth a look, IMHO.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 3
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 6:59:55 PM   
maxb

bummer. I figured there would be something I could change. it makes no sense why there would be that much of a CPU issue when moving a unit or clicking a menu button... but idk. I guess I'll try installing it again when i get another computer at some point down the road

< Message edited by maxb -- 11/3/2018 7:15:12 PM >

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 4
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:07:50 PM   
Cabido

Perhaps it doesn't make use of the computer GPU, overloading the CPU. I really don't know, this is mere speculation, but I've configured my amd graphic card to manage it and it doesn't seem to make a slight difference. I've configured my game to slow animation, so that I can follow the unit around in small scenarios and the animation is very sluggish. It doesn't matter very much for me, but it is a sign of inefficient use of resources. Maybe the code is old; maybe it is something to do with keeping the game available on low end machines... I don't know... speculating, once more.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 5
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:16:11 PM   
zakblood

no such issue with windows 10 on a clean pc with next to nothing running in the background

i choose a given map, one i like tbh, and it's a large one and plenty on it, just loading it shows hardly any impact, using the game on AI turn maybe uses 40 to 50% of CPU and never more than 1gb of ram and hardly touches the GPU, as it's a very light game resources wise

test pc spec is one of my 2 test pc's of the same type, this one has the SSDD, other ones a HDD/ combo (SSHD)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM

User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Display Memory: 12221 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4053 MB
Shared Memory: 8168 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Driver Date/Size: 10/10/2018

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/3/2018 8:30:43 PM >

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 6
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:17:37 PM   
zakblood

just to prove a point, here's the start up

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:18:45 PM   
zakblood

like everything with games, each app and program you have running gives a impact on not only resources but stability as well, so less is always better than more

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491486

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4454024

my standard links on how to play better, doesn't touch wine, as tbh games for pc, if it works it works, if it doesn't i wouldn't have a clue how to offer advice on it or give solutions on ways to make it run better, sorry

as shown i run steam on startup and my AV and my sound drivers, and that's it

if i'm not running a steam game, i disable steam, this is my test pc which i also do forum stuff on, as on my gaming pc, i don't even have google running taking resources and maybe even causing issues in the back ground, when i say clean, i mean clean

wine isn't the most stable way of running windows games it seems, but maybe wrong, only going by what the forums say

https://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/3/2018 8:33:17 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:38:00 PM   
Cabido

Well, my PC isn't as clean as yours, that's for sure, but I can run much heavier apps without any problem. Anyway, just out of curiosity, how does the scenario selection window works for you? Do you have a lag when choosing a scenario or the chosen scenario highlights immediately? I've noticed high peaks on the CPU just by by clicking to change the chosen scenario in the list.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:41:35 PM   
zakblood

no, in steam it works fine for me, no lag, only tested the site / forum version, but again posted no issues with it, but now just use the steam version.

on selecting and loading a map, mine does show higher activity, but this is to be expected, as it's doing something, but not excessive and never high, eg 90 to 100%

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 10
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 8:54:47 PM   
Cabido

I can understand the higher activity when loading, but not when just selecting. This should just be a change of a string or int variable. Ok, maybe to load the briefing, but still... . The fact is that I usually get a large lag when selecting scenarios. But let it be, since I'm already off topic, kidnapping maxb thread. Sorry for it.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 9:00:06 PM   
maxb

Yeah Wine isn't really a sure shot. Some stuff doesn't work well with it.

That said I figure there has to be a solution because the game does open up, it runs. I can get into a game and move pieces. And I can run much heftier games on my computer, even in Wine.

So it makes me think there might be a fix, but I'm not really knowledgable on this.

One thing I noticed is that when I was in game, I would click to move a piece and I could still move the map zoom with the zoom on my mouse, but it was still calculating. The sense I get is that it's some kind of issue with window focusing but that might be completely wrong, the CPU measurements suggest otherwise.

It just doesn't make any sense why clicking "English" out of the 4 language options would take 15 seconds, or why moving pieces sometimes takes that long or more. I am out of options for the time being.

< Message edited by maxb -- 11/3/2018 9:01:24 PM >

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 12
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 11/3/2018 9:53:56 PM   
maxb

honestly I'm really happy to report that after fiddling and being a little more patient, I have the game running somewhat satisfactorily.

the loading is a bit irritating but I think I was overstating how bad it is. it's more like 10-15 seconds here and there and it doesn't happen all the time.

I ran the tutorial for about 20 minutes just now and I was really enjoying just diving into the details at a more relaxed pace. I'm new with this kind of operational game and I think the game is geared more toward a more cerebral, slow, relaxed kind of play than attacking it. so the load times aren't so bad if I think of it that way, really.

Now I need some good tutorials and guides to go off of from good players.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 13
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 12/25/2018 11:20:00 AM   
Franciscus

Hi maxb

I am also trying to run TOAWIV under Wineskin (3.21 or 3.04) and finding the same problems you have described.

Could you please explain what settings you changed to make the game play faster ?

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 14
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 12/25/2018 8:16:07 PM   
Franciscus

Well, I made some more tests and simply disabling sound effects in game solves all the lag issues under wine

Only some minor GUI glitches remain, but otherwise it plays very well (Wine 3.21)

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 15
RE: playing on Mac with Wineskin? - 12/26/2018 8:24:42 AM   
Franciscus

In the opart4.ini file putting oldsound=Y permits having all sound effects on, without any lag (Wine 3.21). Plays even smoother than under native Windows

A glitch in the buttons tab text was easily corrected modifying the respective font parameters.

Perfectly playable!

Another game that does not require me to run Windows

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 12/27/2018 1:18:02 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> playing on Mac with Wineskin? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI