Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whats the female representation playing Steel Panthers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Whats the female representation playing Steel Panthers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats the female representation playing Steel Panthers - 6/14/2001 6:39:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hey just sitting here wondering....how many women playing Steel Panthers? Even more interestingly, any of you guys actually in heaven, being able to actually play it against your wife. or one step further, being able to play it against her and actually able to play it fully totally honestly and not in a coddling manner? I am sure Joan of Arc wasnt a fluke. In my rolegaming experience most women think before they act. Just wish I knew some that were wargamers.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 6/14/2001 7:12:00 PM   
Resisti

To my knowledge there are 2 women who are quite steadily walking tru this forum and playing spwaw: -AmmoSgt -Alexandra but i dont think any of us has the...proved proof they are REALLY women :rolleyes: :rolleyes: As for wifes playin spwaw with their husbands, I dont know if any of us it's so lucky, but I'd be curious to know it,too. In my case she appreciated the new 5.01 intro theme music,compared with the one of 4.5 which she considered "depressive", and believe me this is a HUGE step ahead ! :) [ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Resisti ]

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 6/14/2001 8:04:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti: To my knowledge there are 2 women who are quite steadily walking tru this forum and playing spwaw: -AmmoSgt -Alexandra but i dont think any of us has the...proved proof they are REALLY women :rolleyes: :rolleyes: As for wifes playin spwaw with their husbands, I dont know if any of us it's so lucky, but I'd be curious to know it,too. In my case she appreciated the new 5.01 intro theme music,compared with the one of 4.5 which she considered "depressive", and believe me this is a HUGE step ahead ! :) [ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Resisti ]
"I am so Lucky" says sven the 'american viking' (blessed with a Good wife)

Post #: 3
- 6/14/2001 8:06:00 PM   
Alexandra

Yep, as far as I know, Ammo and I are it. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 4
- 6/14/2001 8:13:00 PM   
Nemesis

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra: Yep, as far as I know, Ammo and I are it. Alex
If we had more women playing The Game, we could have "Miss Steel Panthers" contest :)! I guess we could have "Mr. Steel Panthers" contest as well, but the idea of beauty-contest between hairy men who like strategy-games... Ugh!

oderint dum metuant

Post #: 5
- 6/15/2001 4:10:00 AM   
BlitzSS

It's good to see your name again Les. Apparently you like 5.01 better then 4.5! So how many warrior women do we now have?

"Nuts"

Post #: 6
- 6/15/2001 4:49:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Well you can add my lovely wife, Lady Beth! Even she enjoys a sit-down shoot out around here every once in awhile. Her specialty are the scenarios with lots of shooting and lots of explosions (G). Go figure. Come tot think of it, they are mine too :D Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 7
- 6/15/2001 4:51:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Speaking of that, look for a new scenario in SPWAW on the Raider Page titled "Heroine of the USSR," A female Russian tank commander. She bought her own T-34 and used it effectively for almost two years! Should be out on the Raider page any day now! http://www.militarygameronline.com/raiders/ Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 8
- 6/15/2001 8:08:00 AM   
Figmo

WOW Bill - I remember that scenario - it's a great one - everybody will love it!! And geez - I haven't got a clue :eek: - I didn't know Alex was female until she said so and didn't know until now that Ammo Sarge is female. When I'm at this site I don't think about who is what - I just talk about the game and history. :D Now you want to be careful getting the Wild Man into a chat room - he has a silver tongue and will have you saying things before you even realized you were thinking them!! ;) Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 9
- 6/15/2001 2:43:00 PM   
JTGEN

I think it is great to have women playing this wonderfull game too. It should suit them perfectly. And apart Alexandra (which for some reason I quessed) I did not who is who but it does not matter as long as there is discussion. By the way has anybody seen the document about female warriors in WW2. It's great. They interwiewed some Russian fighterpilots (Soviets had several female aces), some US pilots and also the Germans had atleast one sort of a fighter pilot Beate Uchse (spelling???), although she is now better known for something else. Even if she was not combat pilot, flying FW190's to front line units was in many ways more risky in allied controlled airspace.

Post #: 10
- 6/15/2001 7:34:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

One of my favorite woman combat heros .. Is Dr Ruth ..( Dr Ruth Westheimer ) The sex doctor you see on TV sometimes .. She was a sniper in Jerusalem during the Israeli War of Independance in 1948.. She was wounded in combat .. and She is only like 4'6" and about 85 pounds or something .. Then of course you got Deborah, who was a General in the Old Testament You got your Trang Sisters , sometime around 1000 AD ,who united Vietnam and threw the Chinese out and yes Joan of Arc and Yes Bodiacea Women have fought in all of America's wars sometimes having to dress and pretent to be be men to be allowed to Fight The Greeks felt that the Ultimate Test of a Warrior was to survive a combat against the Amazons Molly Pitcher and Her one gun battery gave a good account of Herself In the American Revolutionary War Harriet Tubman ,the creator of the Underground Railroad, was a Commisioned Officer in the U S Army during the Civil War and lead Recon and Raids deep in Confederate held Territory ..She always accomplished the Mission and never lost a Trooper oh oops sorry you said prettyist not Bravest.. I haven't a clue who that would be [ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 11
- 6/15/2001 7:41:00 PM   
Alexandra

By the way has anybody seen the document about female warriors in WW2. It's great. They interwiewed some Russian fighterpilots (Soviets had several female aces), some US pilots and also the Germans had atleast one sort of a fighter pilot Beate Uchse (spelling???), although she is now better known for something else. Even if she was not combat pilot, flying FW190's to front line units was in many ways more risky in allied controlled airspace.[/QB][/QUOTE] It's estimated the Soviets had at least 1 million women actively serving in all arms of service, to include Infantry and Armor in WW2. It's kind of ironic that Communism is more accepting of women in combat than Democracy :). Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 12
- 6/15/2001 8:15:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

Ammo Sarge: Thanks for the post about Dr Ruth. I'm starting research on the '48 war of Independence. I plan a scen or two on the subject. Dr Ruth will be there. The day WILL come when a women's talents and interest will be unquestioned. It must have made you and Alexandria both laugh as we men ponder proof that some woman might wish to play OUR game...LOL

All Hail Marx and Lennon

Post #: 13
- 6/15/2001 8:35:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra: It's estimated the Soviets had at least 1 million women actively serving in all arms of service, to include Infantry and Armor in WW2. It's kind of ironic that Communism is more accepting of women in combat than Democracy :). Alex
Actually I think it is more of a function of the Russian society as well as its desperate needs for men power. The western powers never quite gets push to the point of extermination or fight like the SO was during WW2. I personally thinks that Hitler make a mistake when he fails to utilize women more during WW2, at least in the manufacturing front. BTW AmmoSgt, I am glad that someone actually knows about Vietnam's history. It is the Trinh sisters who was one of the first heroines of Vietnam.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 14
- 6/15/2001 10:51:00 PM   
Alexandra

I'd disagree with point one being a factor of Russian 'personality' so to speak, as it's not evident that prior to WW2 the Russians ever used women in warfare. And, given the very large amounts of women used by the Chinese Communists, and other such groups, I think that it's more a political thoery thing. I personally thinks that Hitler make a mistake when he fails to utilize women more during WW2, at least in the manufacturing front. They did, though not as much as the Soviets or the Americans. Still, by '44 women were being used in AA units and the like inside Germany.

Post #: 15
- 6/15/2001 11:15:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

Women in Combat hmmm ..Women have always been in combat, usually unarmed and untrained ..America got kinda of lucky with the "Pioneering Wagon Train It's OK to Shoot Back Annie Oakley" Wild West concepts ( I'm Sure other cultures have similar stories but the Wild West comes to my mind First) But Still, unarmed and untrained, Women have been displaying unquestioned bravery and courage on the battle field and in bombed cities and besieged Castles for a long time . From time to time Women get almost a break, and get to do some of the glory jobs ..the stuff history recognizes .. But they are there on the Battlefield , trained or not, armed or not, recognized or not, and they do it with honor and courage all to often overlooked ... Maybe a little more open admiration of some of the Famous Ones ..would attract spouses (occasionally in need of role models), to get them to step out of culturaly approved and rewarded roles for women... Just a Thought

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 16
- 6/15/2001 11:26:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

Then and again on the Other hand...If women started having group sessions to get intouch with thier "inner warrior" and started getting training and arms ...it wouldn't be very pretty..in fact kinda scary hmmm maybe that would be a good thing.. Have you ever heard any of the Old Celtic Ballads called "Keenings" that are ritual pagan blessing chants Celtic Women sung over arms and armor to give the weapons strength and power... you can feel the combat mutiplier it imparts ...in a couple of my units some of the women sang over their M-16's .. I remember the chanting the day when the Army made Rifle Training part of Basic For Women .... [ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]

Post #: 17
- 6/15/2001 11:45:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt: Women in Combat hmmm ..Women have always been in combat, usually unarmed and untrained ..America got kinda of lucky with the "Pioneering Wagon Train It's OK to Shoot Back Annie Oakley" Wild West concepts ( I'm Sure other cultures have similar stories but the Wild West comes to my mind First) But Still, unarmed and untrained, Women have been displaying unquestioned bravery and courage on the battle field and in bombed cities and besieged Castles for a long time . From time to time Women get almost a break, and get to do some of the glory jobs ..the stuff history recognizes .. But they are there on the Battlefield , trained or not, armed or not, recognized or not, and they do it with honor and courage all to often overlooked ... Maybe a little more open admiration of some of the Famous Ones ..would attract spouses (occasionally in need of role models), to get them to step out of culturaly approved and rewarded roles for women... Just a Thought
My complete agreement there. However, it is not calls HIStory for no reason :) Usually it is the one in charge gets to write the text book, and so far men still have the more powerful positions in society.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 18
- 6/15/2001 11:51:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt: Then and again on the Other hand...If women started having group sessions to get intouch with thier "inner warrior" and started getting training and arms ...it wouldn't be very pretty..in fact kinda scary hmmm maybe that would be a good thing.. Have you ever heard any of the Old Celtic Ballads called "Keenings" that are ritual pagan blessing chants Celtic Women sung over arms and armor to give the weapons strength and power... you can feel the combat mutiplier it imparts ...in a couple of my units some of the women sang over their M-16's .. I remember the chanting the day when the Army made Rifle Training part of Basic For Women .... [ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]
Are you sure they wasn't cursing that they have to clean and maintains the stupid things? ;)

Post #: 19
- 6/15/2001 11:59:00 PM   
Nemesis

quote:

Originally posted by lnp4668: However, it is not calls HIStory for no reason.
No, please! Spare us from Michael Jackson! :D

oderint dum metuant

Post #: 20
- 6/16/2001 12:25:00 AM   
troopie

Although traditional Afrikaner ideology says they shouldn't, women fought to defend laagers and homesteads during the Great Trek and after. I know a lady who actually fought in the Chimurenga, (she was a Zipra sniper). During one of the Carlist wars in Spain, the Carlists raised a guerrilla company of nuns. They were much feared by the Cristinistas. Women do not know when to stop, that's why they should not be used in infantry combat. Men will observe the punctillio and take prisoners. Women always wage war `a outrance and to the knife. troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 21
- 6/16/2001 3:32:00 AM   
McGib

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra: They did, though not as much as the Soviets or the Americans. Still, by '44 women were being used in AA units and the like inside Germany.
A friend of my mom's was a member of a flak battery in northern germany. She doesnt talk about it much but she has told me some stories about what it was like being at the wrong end of the RAF and the 8th USAF

Ready Aye Ready

Post #: 22
- 6/16/2001 3:40:00 AM   
El Che

Carmba! Mujeres de pelo en tetas!! :eek: :D :D :D

Hasta la victoria siempre!

Post #: 23
- 6/16/2001 3:41:00 AM   
McGib

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt: ...in a couple of my units some of the women sang over their M-16's .. I remember the chanting the day when the Army made Rifle Training part of Basic For Women .... [ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]
I was a recruit instructor in the Canadian Forces a few years back and I had a female recruit in my squad that named her rifle "revenge"! Man talk about a nervous time!

Ready Aye Ready

Post #: 24
- 6/16/2001 6:01:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

:D :D :D

Post #: 25
- 6/16/2001 6:27:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Ah, the Amazons...(Sigh!) I remember the occasion, by the way, Figmo. Those were the days (another ... sigh!) :D Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 26
- 6/16/2001 6:28:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I forgot to mention that in my six years + of being heavily involved with all the SP games, including with SSI, Novastar, The Gamers Net, and now Matrix, this is the first time we have had Lady Warriors actively taking part. Now THAT is definitely a step in the right direction! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 27
- 6/16/2001 10:48:00 PM   
Nemesis

Hmmmm... I guess I could try to convert one female to SPWAW. She a very good friend of mine, and she happens to be one of the couple of hundred female volunteers who go to the army here. She's a NCO, so she will be in the army longer that she normally would have. Her service will end in week or two, so maybe I should try to get her play SPWAW :).

oderint dum metuant

Post #: 28
- 6/17/2001 1:15:00 AM   
Tombstone

Put the word female in a forum topic and you get action... It is true that computer wargaming is somewhat of a farthest point away, when it comes to women gamers. Hell, there are hardly any male computer wargamers out there anymore though. It might be interesting to see if there are any differences between the reasons why Alexandra and Ammosgt got into SPWAW compared to the 'average' reason why male SPWAW players were attracted. I know for myself it started as an early interest in technology and explosions. Then, after going through a bunch of other phases, ended up as an addiction to history, possibility, and tactics. Tomo

Post #: 29
- 6/17/2001 1:55:00 AM   
Nemesis

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: Put the word female in a forum topic and you get action... Tomo
Well, what do you expect :)? I mean, apart from few individual girls, we are all hairy butt-ugly men! Whenever someone says the word "female", the first reaction propably is "There are women here? Where? I need to see!!! " :D

oderint dum metuant

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Whats the female representation playing Steel Panthers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI