Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I am really bad at this. Need advice.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> I am really bad at this. Need advice. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 11/5/2018 8:03:03 PM   
maxb

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the game.

I'm kind of horrible at it and I find myself losing so badly that I can't comprehend how it's even possible anyone could win in the first place. To the extent where I feel like the game really doesn't explain which campaign/scenarios are for the beginner (outside of tutorial) and it doesn't really explain a good order to go in on what scenarios/campaigns to play.

I tried Hell on Wheels just now and the sheer number of tanks coming at me just makes me completely confused how anyone would beat this. It seems so impossible that I almost feel like it's some kind of programming mistake in the game.

Beyond the possibility that the game isn't balanced well, what am I doing wrong? I check LOS a good amount. I just feel like I'm doing something very wrong with the severity of my losses.
Post #: 1
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 11/5/2018 8:20:32 PM   
zakblood

AAR and video's is where i'd start, watch and learn, beats playing and reading and most of the time loosing that's for sure, the AI isn't daft even if sometimes i play as if i am.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 2
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 11/5/2018 8:24:47 PM   
zakblood

pick the battle you wish to learn,

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1295

read how someone else played it, and see if anyone's posted a video on it as well, then play and see if you can match how they got on, don't be afraid to turn stuff down and make it easier until your more comfortable on how skilled you are and how much knowledge of the game you know, you've bought it so play it how you wish it to be played and only turn it up onto harder settings once you win too often etc.

make a plan of action, but like all plans in war, don't stick to it, as once combat happens, the plan must be flexible enough to go out the window and react to what's happening and not what you planned to do or try to do either, react to combat, but plan for action

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 11/5/2018 10:00:51 PM   
CapnDarwin

Start by playing A Time to Dance as NATO. Read the post on Dechipering Scenarios and play the the small ones first. Play as NATO until you get comfortable with the game.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 11/11/2018 8:20:37 PM   
OldSarge

A Time to Dance should be a good starting point, it is the smallest of the scenarios - and quite fun! I'd recommend playing as NATO first as you have fewer units
to worry about and are on the defensive. There are a couple of AAR written up, so study up and try out those ideas are follow your own.

After you feel comfortable with that scenario, you might like Black Horse. It is also fairly small, but this time NATO and WP are in a meeting engagement.

Learn to use the various tools to understand the map. Knowing where positions can be seen from, where locations are vulnerable to crossfire is a big element
in being able to setup sites to hit OPFOR from while receiving minimal return fire.

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 12/20/2018 11:33:10 AM   
Mark Florio

It is hard to win because in real life, modern Mech combat is exceptionally deadly and fast. The game models that well. You can start by learning the various weapons systems and reviewing how the Army and NATO deployed them. Also, review the Soviet formations too. Rule of thumb is that NATO owns the night and quality, Soviets have mass and diversity of weapon systems and artillery. METT. Mission, Enemy, Terrain and Tactics and Time too.

Spend a lot of time reviewing the terrain. In the real world units would find cover and LOS advantages naturally. in the game you have to be meticulous on ranging your weapons... NATO has longer and better ranged weapons but you dont want to get into a knife fight with a soviet juggernaut either. fire and maneuver and stay out of the Arty. Once you engage, reposition.

Take out the soviet AA well before you send in the helos or fixed wing. this game is deadly to helos (which i think is a bit overdone personally as in the real world they would pop up and dive behind the treeline avoiding missles). Reserve your air strikes for critical moments in the battle instead of wasting their potential. Take out enemy HQ once you spot it. Keep your HQ moving too.

For your Arty, dedicate one unit to Counterbattery and one on call and the third for targets of Opp. Move them after each firing too. Otherwise, have fun, replay every battle and enjoy losing as it is realistic. :)

Seek, Strike, Destroy, 3/63 Armor, 2nd Bde, 3ID.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 6
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 12/20/2018 3:04:43 PM   
CapnDarwin

Mark, we do give consideration that helicopters are using the terrain to mask themselves from enemy spotting and fire, but they are exposed at times to spot, move small distances, and fire/lase targets. We will be adding some more player-centeric options to set exposure versus masking for helos in Southern Storm to help some of this too.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Mark Florio)
Post #: 7
RE: I am really bad at this. Need advice. - 12/21/2018 12:41:43 PM   
ctcharger

I've had that feeling in many games I have played. You'll be beating up the AI in no time and hopefully join us in the PBEM crowd (sadly not that crowded).
NATO helos are usually dead meat unless you have taken out their AA units which usually reveal themselves by emitting. Othewise, keep them back!

NATO is great at shooting at long range especially in a light rain or at night. Drop smoke on them when it is blue sky to foil the Soviet rangefinders.
Artillery I put on counterbattery at the start. If I see some guys bunched up behind a bridge I blew (your scouts are blowing bridges right?), I will let them have it, same with any HQ or AA unit that reveals itself. It is usually an all or nothing affair but having someone on counterbattery keeps them guessing and saves their ammo. I like to spread the artillery around too, that reduces the readiness of the Soviets which is huge, killing them is nice but reducing a bunch of units readiness will pay off.
If you see them trying to move, let them! Same with your HQs, move them a bit now and then.
Shoot from cover, stick to the trees and urban areas.
I use Assault movement almost exclusively unless they are behind the front lines. Slower but much more certain and I like to keep them moving to avoid Soviet artillery.
The orders delay makes it appear the units move slowly but they don't. They are slow to move but when they get going, they go pretty fast.
I do use the hold command for infantry in urban areas, that way they can dig in a bit but don't expect miracles.
If you find yourself clicking on guys every turn, you aren't thinking ahead enough. Your HQ will get blasted and the guys will never get settled. Think ahead more and think more formations instead of individual units.

Also, play the scenario PBEM and take the Soviets, see what the NATO player does well for pointers.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> I am really bad at this. Need advice. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI