Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Formation Follies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Formation Follies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Formation Follies - 11/22/2018 1:57:24 AM   
blackcloud6

I'm not having good luck using formations. I thought you could use the formation HQ flag to click on to give a formation command. Lately when I do so and then put out a waypoint, the other units in the formation don't get the waypoint or a similar, they get ones in different directions and not far away form where they are located. And if I click on them to check, they are no longer attached and stop obeying the order. Also, the formation order such as column, wedge etc, does not seem to work.

Is there a proper order in which to give a formation command for it to work right?

If you had given a platoon an order to follow, is clicking on a subordinate unit supposed to take it out of the platoon order?

How do you get a unit to march in column along a road? I could not make that happen today no matter how I tried.
Post #: 1
RE: Formation Follies - 11/22/2018 8:37:53 PM   
Mousehold

It sounds like you're thinking of a game like Command Ops, where you can issue an order to a company or brigade HQ and the tactical AI will handle issuing orders down the chain of command. I do not believe that is a feature of Armored Brigade. Much more like Combat Mission or Close Combat, you are expected to issue orders to platoons and elements directly. For better or worse, the burden is on the player to keep their units moving and fighting cohesively.

If you issue an order to an individual element, it will be detached from its group. Be aware that if there is only one element in the group, issuing an order to the element will still detach it. This will create an additional and unnecessary delay in the orders issued. (This mistake happens to me a lot with recce and HQ assets.)

If you set your formation to march and your movement mode SOP to quick, you should see your units use roads. Some people have suggested using wide formation spacing too help with congestion, but they should path along roads regardless. Be aware that a whole brigade attempting to use roads in the initial minutes of a scenario can quickly turn into a messy traffic jam, but they'll sort themselves out. I try to keep my use of road march limited to getting stragglers caught up or redeploying units through the rear to a different flank. Vehicles are already pretty quick across open fields, and I've had better luck keeping them organized by setting them to use the shortest path by default, then plotting the routes I want them to take with more detailed waypoints. (I use the covered route SOP mostly for infantry.)

(in reply to blackcloud6)
Post #: 2
RE: Formation Follies - 11/22/2018 9:04:09 PM   
Adam Rinkleff

I tend to move most units manually at the squad level. The order delay is worth the cost, as it gets the units where they need to be. I think its worth taking a little extra time and having the various officers and NCOs discuss what they are about to do. In a crisis, I might want to simply order everyone to advance or fall back, but generally there is no need to rush.

(in reply to Mousehold)
Post #: 3
RE: Formation Follies - 11/23/2018 6:02:50 PM   
blackcloud6

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mousehold

It sounds like you're thinking of a game like Command Ops, where you can issue an order to a company or brigade HQ and the tactical AI will handle issuing orders down the chain of command. I do not believe that is a feature of Armored Brigade. Much more like Combat Mission or Close Combat, you are expected to issue orders to platoons and elements directly. For better or worse, the burden is on the player to keep their units moving and fighting cohesively.

If you issue an order to an individual element, it will be detached from its group. Be aware that if there is only one element in the group, issuing an order to the element will still detach it. This will create an additional and unnecessary delay in the orders issued. (This mistake happens to me a lot with recce and HQ assets.)

If you set your formation to march and your movement mode SOP to quick, you should see your units use roads. Some people have suggested using wide formation spacing too help with congestion, but they should path along roads regardless. Be aware that a whole brigade attempting to use roads in the initial minutes of a scenario can quickly turn into a messy traffic jam, but they'll sort themselves out. I try to keep my use of road march limited to getting stragglers caught up or redeploying units through the rear to a different flank. Vehicles are already pretty quick across open fields, and I've had better luck keeping them organized by setting them to use the shortest path by default, then plotting the routes I want them to take with more detailed waypoints. (I use the covered route SOP mostly for infantry.)

No, I'm not trying to issue battalion command and expecting the Bn to then give orders down to companies and platoons. What I'm trying to get to work right is what the manual suggests (and you allude to in your final paragraph) issue an order to a platoon of tanks, say tell it to move in echelon right and watch it do so. Or I want to have a platoon of tanks move in march column along the autobahn. Every time I try to do do either the subordinate tanks go to odd way points and if I click to check on the them, they detach. So, I'm not doing something right.

The way I think it works is I click on the flag and all the units in the formation come up with a green square around them. i should then be able to go and set a way point and then set the formation such as echelon right. But it doesn't seem to work.

(in reply to Mousehold)
Post #: 4
RE: Formation Follies - 11/23/2018 7:54:29 PM   
blackcloud6

OK, back to training.

I set up a Meeting Engagement of two platoons of M1A1 v two platoons of T-80Us at the NTC just to maneuver around the Abrams platoons using only formation commands. Now I could see what was going on and why I thought there was odd movement when doing so. What I was seeing was the subordinate units moving to get into the prescribed formation say from line to echelon right. They have to move around terrain and such to be able to do so and it takes time. What I thought was odd movement away from their PL was simply move to get into the right position in the formation command.

I'm going to do some more training missions at the NTC to see how this behaves.

Post #: 5
RE: Formation Follies - 11/24/2018 5:25:18 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

OK, back to training.

I set up a Meeting Engagement of two platoons of M1A1 v two platoons of T-80Us at the NTC just to maneuver around the Abrams platoons using only formation commands. Now I could see what was going on and why I thought there was odd movement when doing so. What I was seeing was the subordinate units moving to get into the prescribed formation say from line to echelon right. They have to move around terrain and such to be able to do so and it takes time. What I thought was odd movement away from their PL was simply move to get into the right position in the formation command.

I'm going to do some more training missions at the NTC to see how this behaves.

If you don't want the subordinates to reorganize between waypoints then select formation->free.

Know thyself!

Post #: 6
RE: Formation Follies - 11/24/2018 6:09:00 PM   
blackcloud6

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

If you don't want the subordinates to reorganize between waypoints then select formation->free.

Ah, very good.

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Formation Follies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI