Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sensors menu question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sensors menu question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sensors menu question - 11/30/2018 2:51:38 AM   
Lanzfeld

When I hit the F9 key to change which sensors are active or not on my USS Yorktown I see three boxes. One is radar and one is sonar and one is offensive ECM.

I activate both radar and sonar and a checkmark appears in the box which means it’s active but when I go to recheck the sensors the sonar still has a checkmark but inside of the radar box there is a black square instead of a checkmark. I cannot find what this means.

Does anybody know?

< Message edited by Lanzfeld -- 11/30/2018 2:57:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sensors menu question - 11/30/2018 3:30:00 AM   
Lanzfeld

Okay I have noticed that my AN/SPG 62 radar illuminator long-range will not turn off. This must be why there is a Black square instead of a checkmark. Does anyone know why this doesn’t turn off?

(in reply to Lanzfeld)
Post #: 2
RE: Sensors menu question - 11/30/2018 5:40:29 AM   
Dimitris

A solid black box means that only some sensors of this type are active, not all of them. A normal checkbox means that all sensors of this type are active.

(in reply to Lanzfeld)
Post #: 3
RE: Sensors menu question - 11/30/2018 12:26:06 PM   
Lanzfeld

Yes for some reason those illuminators would not turn off even when I put everything on passive

Could be A bug I guess.

< Message edited by Lanzfeld -- 11/30/2018 2:56:56 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: Sensors menu question - 11/30/2018 7:33:01 PM   
DWReese

So that Dimitris does have to take his time to provide a more in-depth answer, I'll kind of explain what black boxes usually mean by providing some examples.

Often, your Doctrine will be set up to allow your units to function "automatically", if you will. If the unit evaluates a situation, and the Doctrine is set up properly, it will override your commands and turn some thing "on" to deal with an emergency. For example, you ship has its emissions turned off, but receives data that it is under an ASW missile attack. The ship will turn on those things that need to be activated so that it can deal with the threat. But, in keeping with your original commands, it won't automatically turn EVERYTHING on. So, the black box kind of says, "I've got this." Without it, you would be surprised how many ships would get sunk because it's difficult for you, the game player, to go around and turn this one on, and this one off. So, it's like a fail safe. After the threat is gone, the box will be removed.

I've been playing the game for a long time. If you look deep under the hood, you will discover layers of thought that have been built in. I haven't found very many errors pertaining to this issue. I do believe that they would have been reported by now, so I'm inclined to believe that things are probably working properly.

I encourage you to play around with various units using the Editor. Have some shoot at each other and then switch back and forth and watch what happens. It will amaze you how coordinated this game/simulation really is.

If you have a specific example, zip up your scenario and post it. There are PLENTY of helpful souls here who would be more than happy to look into it for you.

Doug

< Message edited by DWReese -- 11/30/2018 7:34:32 PM >

(in reply to Lanzfeld)
Post #: 5
RE: Sensors menu question - 11/30/2018 10:37:05 PM   
Lanzfeld

Well thank you Doug for the detailed explanation. Yes I couldn’t understand why those sensors would not turn off but apparently the ship was in some sort of self-preservation mode. Kind of makes sense now but I don’t understand the actual technical aspect of it why the long range illuminators were always on. But it sounds like I have a base now for the behavior

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sensors menu question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI