Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Various Japanese Shipyards

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Various Japanese Shipyards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 3:22:20 PM   
spence

Every once in a while I have a fleeting thought that I would like to try playing the Japanese in this game. I see that they have 3 different types of shipyard: Naval, Merchant and Repair Shipyards. What's the difference?

It also seems that some at least of those shipyards exceed the size of the West Coast Shipyards. It seems unlikely that Japan had more ship building repairing capability than the US. In answering the first question I might get the answer to this one but what gives with that?
Post #: 1
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 3:40:47 PM   
GetAssista

First 2 are industry type, consuming HI and producing points that are later used for news ship construction. Location does not matter here, points go into the pool
Repair shipyard is a diffefrent matter, it repairs ships put inside it on the base

Naturally, since Allies do not have some industry types, they do not have Nav/Merch shipyards.
Repair shipyards though, Japan can only dream of Seattle or SF cluster scale

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 11/29/2018 3:42:01 PM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 3:50:52 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Every once in a while I have a fleeting thought that I would like to try playing the Japanese in this game. I see that they have 3 different types of shipyard: Naval, Merchant and Repair Shipyards. What's the difference?

It also seems that some at least of those shipyards exceed the size of the West Coast Shipyards. It seems unlikely that Japan had more ship building repairing capability than the US. In answering the first question I might get the answer to this one but what gives with that?

In simplest terms -the naval shipyards produce points that go toward building new naval ships, ie. Yamato, CV's, DD's, subs, etc. No naval shipyard points, no new naval ships arrive. Likewise, merchant shipyards produce points to build new xAK, TK, etc. And repair shipyards are used to repair heavily damaged ships and do most conversions and upgrades. Any IJN BB heavily damaged early in the game will have to return to Shanghai or the Home Islands to get fixed. They can't get up river to Saigon. Hong Kong may shorten the trip, if it's RSY is not too damaged during capture.

I can't speak to the relative shipyard sizes, Japan vs. US. It's a game and some of the sizes may be nerfed to make it playable.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 4:08:48 PM   
rustysi

quote:

It also seems that some at least of those shipyards exceed the size of the West Coast Shipyards.

Japan was certainly a 'naval country' being an island nation. Just because she had a few yards larger than some of ours doesn't mean she did or could exceed our shipbuilding capacity. Also keep in mind the time frame here, US 1940's west coast population couldn't compare to the east. Most of our large shipbuilding, etc., was on the east coast.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 4
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 4:10:22 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Every once in a while I have a fleeting thought that I would like to try playing the Japanese in this game.

Come to the dark side, and be enlightened.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 4:12:14 PM   
spence

Can Japan increase the size of the (formerly) Allied repair shipyards in Singapore etc?

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 6
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 5:04:28 PM   
rustysi

Yes, but its not recommended in some areas. Places that may be recaptured by the Allies would then give them forward repair bases.

Myself... Singers is large enough as is, 50 I think. I'd repair it to that level, unless its totally wiped out. I increase Saigon and Manila in size to accept a CA, helps keep these vital vessels in the front lines for the initial expansion. TBH though I'd prefer to do most if any expansion of repair yards in the HI. In my current game I really haven't had the opportunity as with limited resources I just can't afford it as yet.

Then again the real need for repair yards will come in the later game, and I'm only in Mar'43 of an AI game at present.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 5:04:33 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Yes, Japan can increase the size, but it costs 1,000 supply per point and places like Singapore, Hong Kong already start high

places like Soerabaja and Manila won't start high, but they are too close to Singapore/ HK to be worth to increase

and finally, there are no repair shipyards where it is needed the most: the Pacific area, unless you capture Pearl Harbor

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 5:12:06 PM   
rustysi

quote:

and finally, there are no repair shipyards where it is needed the most: the Pacific area, unless you capture Pearl Harbor

Japan does however get one tinnie tiny floating dry dock (3k cap) at Truk. Hey its barely worth it, but Japan takes what she can get.

At least some DD's and SS's won't have to make the trip back to the HI.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 9
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 7:54:31 PM   
Lokasenna

I think you should absolutely play as Japan.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/29/2018 8:10:41 PM   
Mike Solli

You must play the Japanese. There's nothing like that feeling in the pit of your stomach when a US sub torpedoes one the handful of CVs you have.

Actually, playing the Japanese is a blast!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 12:38:28 PM   
Skyland

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Japan does however get one tinnie tiny floating dry dock (3k cap) at Truk. Hey its barely worth it, but Japan takes what she can get.

Some time ago, i found that IRL there was others (could be added in Mods) :

Location Kobe :
Floating Dock No1 (7,000 t)
Floating Dock No2 (12,000 t)
Floating Dock No3 (16,000 t )

1,600 t Government floating dock

Floating Dock No4 (2,000 t)

Sources :
Port Directory of the Principal Foreign Ports published by US ONI 1945.
http://astilleros1939.blogspot.fr/ (cited source is Lloyd’s Register Appendix 1939 )

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 12
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 12:57:47 PM   
Encircled

You have to play as Japan. Its great fun (much more fun if you are a logistic geek as well)

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 13
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 2:06:31 PM   
spence

quote:

(much more fun if you are a logistic geek as well)

Unfortunately for all those who are hoping I will turn to the dark side I have no interest whatsoever in personally assembling each airframe I may find some use for

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 14
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 3:33:50 PM   
Skyros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

You must play the Japanese. There's nothing like that feeling in the pit of your stomach when a US sub torpedoes one the handful of CVs you have.

Actually, playing the Japanese is a blast!

He has done that to me a few times

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 3:34:43 PM   
Skyros

quote:

quote:

(much more fun if you are a logistic geek as well)

Unfortunately for all those who are hoping I will turn to the dark side I have no interest whatsoever in personally assembling each airframe I may find some use for

What! you don't want to switch sides on January 1 1944?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 16
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 5:21:48 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

The upside is that it is you who decides everything about that particular airframe production, not some scenario designer dude.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 17
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 7:33:47 PM   
mogami

Hi, What a person who does not like god mode thinking of playing Japan? Next he will want to have 7 day turns.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 18
RE: Various Japanese Shipyards - 11/30/2018 10:59:43 PM   
spence

quote:

He has done that to me a few times

And you have returned the "favor". And NO, I do not want to switch sides in Jan 1944.

< Message edited by spence -- 11/30/2018 11:02:02 PM >

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Various Japanese Shipyards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI