Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Atomic Weapons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Atomic Weapons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Atomic Weapons - 12/3/2018 6:26:32 PM   
Fubarno

Is there an atomic weapon research queue or is abstracted to be represented by strategic bombers level 5?
Post #: 1
RE: Atomic Weapons - 12/4/2018 2:16:07 PM   
Hubert Cater

There is no atomic weapon research queue but it is abstracted in game with events that will fire in and around Japan under the right conditions in game, i.e. when the Allies have pressed far enough towards the home islands etc.

(in reply to Fubarno)
Post #: 2
RE: Atomic Weapons - 12/4/2018 4:30:14 PM   
Raptor341

First of all, I am very glad to hear that atomic weapons events will be included in SC WaW. I would argue, however, that there should be a research option for atomic weapons added to the US (even as an option). The reason behind this is for the what-if scenarios when the war pushes into 1946. I have very little doubt that the Allies would have used nuclear weapons against nazi Germany had the war gone that long. This could be added into SC WaW in one of two ways, either a research queue and unit or by more special events. I would push for a research queue myself because then it could be used for mods and follow-on scenarios of the early cold war, a natural evolution of the wargame from where it stands now.

Cheers,

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Atomic Weapons - 2/22/2019 12:55:52 PM   
rob89

+ 1

and I add that the Manhattan Project was (as everyone knows) very expensive; so IMHO it must be as a research item, with the US (and could be Germany too ?) pressed to invest a lot of resources

(in reply to Raptor341)
Post #: 4
RE: Atomic Weapons - 2/22/2019 1:29:11 PM   
xwormwood

So what next? Chemical weapons / nerve agents?
Google Tabun, Sarin or Soman.
These agents could have been used any given day by the Nazis, even though they weren't back in WW2.
But I'm pretty sure they would have been used once the first or second german City would have been nuked.
Atomic bombs should come at a price in a WW2 strategy game.
I'm not only talking about the purchase price and the research time, but about the possibility of accidents (one of many examples: SS John Harvey / Bari) and reprisal. The fact that everything worked out during WW2 doesn't mean that this was a given.

Not sure if I would like these elements (weapons of mass destruction) in a Game. But if they are part of the game, the campaign should be able to reflect every possiblity there was, not only the the one historical outcome we know of.

< Message edited by xwormwood -- 2/22/2019 1:32:03 PM >

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to rob89)
Post #: 5
RE: Atomic Weapons - 2/23/2019 12:22:04 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Lots of ways to add Nukes. I'm all for technology investing.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 6
RE: Atomic Weapons - 2/23/2019 1:53:40 PM   
ernieschwitz

My view: When nukes become available in any game, the game ends. The side with the nukes can simply say: "If I don't get my way, it's a nukefest"... Then the game becomes more about destroying the other side, than actually playing a strategic/operational game.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 7
RE: Atomic Weapons - 2/23/2019 8:45:13 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Guess you're right. By the time the game gets to this point. More or less you know who's winning. Nuke could help if game close, but not sure how.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Atomic Weapons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI