Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sooo...Should I buy this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Sooo...Should I buy this game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sooo...Should I buy this game? - 12/4/2018 10:06:28 PM   
76mm

I'm really looking for a good tactical Napoleonic game--is this the game?

I've played the JTS games but didn't find them very atmospheric, and played HistWar but it just didn't work well and the community seems totally dead.

Here, I've read about "conga lines" etc, but what is the current state of the game?

Also, what is the editor like, is there a map editor?
Post #: 1
RE: Sooo...Should I buy this game? - 12/5/2018 9:03:30 AM   
RebBugler

Check out these video presentations to see if it appeals to your "atmosperic" desires. They use the optional Grog Toolbar which eliminates the infamous Conga Line movements and other discussed shortcomings. Also you'll see that our SOW forum community is much more active than here. And, map making tools are now available.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterloo-media-section/75397-new-scourge-of-war-waterloo-video-series-on-youtube

Designer - Scourge of War

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Sooo...Should I buy this game? - 12/5/2018 12:28:29 PM   
stolypin

I've been slowly playing / learning SOW for the past few months after, like you, playing JTS titles and HistWar.

More regarding the videos RebBugler mentioned: for me, these videos (by a YouTuber named DarkRob316) have been a treasure. He gives extremely detailed and thorough instruction regarding how to play the game, how to win the scenarios, and how to use the various mods. Since I'm really a 20th century warfare guy, his instruction has been invaluable. And while I may have eventually learned SOW without his instruction, I quite likely would not have enjoyed it as much.

< Message edited by stolypin -- 12/5/2018 12:56:32 PM >

(in reply to RebBugler)
Post #: 3
RE: Sooo...Should I buy this game? - 12/7/2018 3:19:05 PM   
rommel222

Greetings 76mm,
I agree with RebBugler and stolypin. Watch the videos to assist in Scourge of War Waterloo game play.
I still enjoy all my HPS/JTS napleonic battles, as well as Histwar Les Grognards.
However, Scourge of War Waterloo has quite the immersion experience.
Get the Scourge of War Waterloo Collectors Edition for best value during the sale.

If you have interest in the American Civil war get Scourge of War Gettysburg Anniversary Edition.
It is a bit easier to play since mostly infantry & artillery. Cavalry is there but not as widely used as in Scourge of War Waterloo(not as colorful in uniform either).

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 4
RE: Sooo...Should I buy this game? - 12/7/2018 4:48:25 PM   
1annoyedgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm really looking for a good tactical Napoleonic game--is this the game?

I've played the JTS games but didn't find them very atmospheric, and played HistWar but it just didn't work well and the community seems totally dead.

Here, I've read about "conga lines" etc, but what is the current state of the game?

Scourge of War Waterloo is pretty much my favorite wargame ever. I took the time to make the video series Reb Bugler linked you to because I believed in the game so much I wanted to make a video series to help new players crest the learning curve of the game, and the whole series is built around that philosophy. Start with the introduction video, grab the grog toolbar and try out the first few brigade scenarios and see what you think. If you have any questions or get stuck on something or just need something clarified, just post a comment on the video in question and I'll always respond.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Sooo...Should I buy this game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI