Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Penetration of 37mm AT gun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Penetration of 37mm AT gun Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Penetration of 37mm AT gun - 7/27/2002 1:53:09 AM   
Vetkin

To the veterans out there, what's the maximum penetration of a 37mm AT gun (the gun and those mounted on Pz38s)

I'm just wondering cuz I got lucky one time and blew a !KV-1! with a frontal hit.
Post #: 1
luck indeed - 7/27/2002 2:31:21 AM   
Curieus

That is luck indeed. My guess is that you had a vulnerable location hit. (or did you get a top hit, was the KV1 in lower ground). As for penetration values. Select a Pz 38(t) and hit spacebar. Below the picture (IIRC) you have a table wich shows the relevant penetration values (before modifiers)

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 2
- 7/27/2002 2:44:51 AM   
Jim1954

Must've met the 76.2mm round at the breach block...

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 3
- 7/27/2002 10:00:38 AM   
Hades

Ap pen at one hex is 57 or close to it. if it ever has apcr it is much higher arond 84

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 4
- 7/27/2002 10:35:58 AM   
stevemk1a

The weirdest result I ever saw in a game was when a german SPW 251 platoon leader vehicle with a 37mm AT gun came face to face with a Pershing tank moving diagonally across its front in deep woods. Pershing dead ... no survivors! I don't argue the realism (musta hit the open gas fill nozzle!). I was pretty happy though! - "give those boys the iron cross!"

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 5
- 7/27/2002 1:58:57 PM   
Hades

I once lost a IS-3 too a bottom 8cm motar hit. Couldn't of come at a worse time. I ended up losing that game. But could that of really happened?

-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 6
- 7/28/2002 12:35:17 AM   
Vetkin

Most probably I guess, I heard that the belly armor of even a heavy tank is something like 1/4 or 1/6 or something like that of the frontal hull value, i guess a 37mm that is lcky enough can blow even an IS

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 7
- 7/28/2002 1:11:02 PM   
G_X

I've seen things similar happen IRL Hades, my friend was showing something off, firing off a model-mortar that launched things, he was aiming it at a car (Was shooting a big foam ball with a lead nugget inside for weight) and it hit just under the cars bumper because of arc, perfect bottom hit on tank.

Probably a 1:1000000 chance though.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 8
- 7/28/2002 1:50:29 PM   
Hades

Yeah I bet that car wasnt your last damb AUX tank. That sounds fun, though. Motorist in Texas beware, the 1st Foam Mortar Division just opened for business.

-Edmund Morris

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 9
- 7/28/2002 2:08:40 PM   
G_X

Yeah well the Foam didn't do what we hoped it would.

The second shot slammed so hard down on the roof that it made a dent...cost $100 to get it repaired...since then we've modified that Mortar into an AT slugthrower, we had a friend calculate the speed it's launched at...something about 550mph average over a 500yard firing range, from out of the muzzle to the target.

Needless to say that's enough force to dent cars...our latest idea is to make it rapid fire with an auto-loader.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 10
- 7/29/2002 8:06:33 AM   
Capt. Pixel

You wouldn't be from Southern California, would you G_X? :D

(You could mount it to a pintle in the back of a pickup. Nobody'd bug you then)

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 11
- 7/29/2002 11:23:02 AM   
G_X

No, I think if me and James were from Southern California we'd Be arrested, **** Democrats ;)

No, I'm from the Deep South, Joy-jah (Translated: Georgia)

And I think that the truck idea might be a good one, it'd also allow us to have the box for the belt feeder nearby...hmm.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 12
- 7/31/2002 10:32:34 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G_X
[B]Yeah well the Foam didn't do what we hoped it would.

The second shot slammed so hard down on the roof that it made a dent...cost $100 to get it repaired...since then we've modified that Mortar into an AT slugthrower, we had a friend calculate the speed it's launched at...something about 550mph average over a 500yard firing range, from out of the muzzle to the target.

Needless to say that's enough force to dent cars...our latest idea is to make it rapid fire with an auto-loader. [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that muzzle velocity? That would put it about the same as a low powered rifle like a 30-30 or .30 m1 carbine.

Thats about 3 times the speed of a paintball. You should be hitting hard enough to shoot thru aluminum road signs.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 13
Belly hits - 8/2/2002 1:20:58 AM   
Graccus

I've read accounts of P-51's and P-47's bouncing .50 cal rounds off of the paved or concrete roads into the bellys of German tanks to knock them out.

Graccus

--Frank Sinatra

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 14
- 8/2/2002 7:27:17 AM   
G_X

Erm, sorry...I wasn't in my right mind...

550mph is nuts...I dunno why I said that...

It's more around 100-something, I think 550 was the number I heard on the TV (Was watching a show about WWII era airplanes) Something to do with speed...and my mind got muddled, yeah...

Lol, 550 even for a foam wrapped led ball would put a hole in a car door.

Thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes: I'm not always on the ball as it were...I think 550 for a foam ball that would be about the weight of a .50 round would have a hell of a kick too, and this doesn't have quite that much, plus it's not using explosives to propell the projectile, well, not in a conventional sense.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 15
Re: Belly hits - 6/10/2003 10:02:42 AM   
arethusa

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graccus
[B]I've read accounts of P-51's and P-47's bouncing .50 cal rounds off of the paved or concrete roads into the bellys of German tanks to knock them out.

Graccus

--Frank Sinatra [/B][/QUOTE]

I have heard of the rare occassion when a mortar or artillery round could bounce up off a rock and theoretically hit the bottom of something over it.

I know when I was working in the butts at the rifle range that there were often rounds ricochetting around the concrete bunkers. Anybody got any idea how much of you can get inside one of those flat soup-dish helmets the British used to have?:) Well, I was surprised how much of me got into one when a round pinged 3 times inside my bunker.:D

"Good military intelligence is worth at least as much as an extra regiment."

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 16
- 6/10/2003 10:11:55 AM   
Hades

I once had a ISU-152 sitting on a praved road in a game. Some 81 mortars fell on it and it brewed up from a bottom hit.:mad: :mad: :mad: not cool
man you are dredging up some old threads:)

-Edmund Morris

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 17
- 6/10/2003 6:28:40 PM   
arethusa

That's 'cause I'm a new member and after reading all the newest posts, I've started at the oldest I can find and gradually reading through all of them. So even these are old to you, I've never seen them before.

But there's a wealth of information and ideas in them that aren't being discussed anymore so it's very worthwhile. Any new player would be wise to go through the old topics.

Plus, I met a couple of new friends who've responded directly to me because of them. :D

"Good military intelligence is worth at least as much as an extra regiment."

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 18
- 6/10/2003 6:44:16 PM   
Voriax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arethusa
[B] Any new player would be wise to go through the old topics.

[/B][/QUOTE]

How true..back in 2000 when SPWAW was new and quite a lot of new people arrived daily. Boy did I wish they had taken the time to read older topics...certain topics popped up _again_ almost daily :rolleyes:

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 19
- 6/10/2003 6:47:02 PM   
Hades

i have too admitt to reading alot of the old posts too

-Edmund Morris

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 20
- 6/11/2003 3:36:09 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G_X
[B]Erm, sorry...I wasn't in my right mind...
Thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes: I'm not always on the ball as it were...I think 550 for a foam ball that would be about the weight of a .50 round would have a hell of a kick too, and this doesn't have quite that much, plus it's not using explosives to propell the projectile, well, not in a conventional sense. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know if you are familiar with them, but during WWI several armies tried compressed air mortars for use during the night for nearly silent and flashless firing.

The Austrian 200mm model had a range of 1800 yards, not bad for firing with compressed air triggered with the mechanical valves of the period.

Other designs along this line are the Zalinski pneumatic dynamite gun and the Sims-Dudley pneumatic field gun.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 21
- 6/15/2003 10:24:09 PM   
SkidLid

Do you have any links on those compressed-air artillery pieces?They sound interesting!

"I got all eternity to to do everything
you want me to do
So there's no rush"

- Jack Kerouac

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 22
- 6/16/2003 3:23:40 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkidLid
[B]Do you have any links on those compressed-air artillery pieces?They sound interesting! [/B][/QUOTE]

No links, you just have to find a copy of Ian Hogg's book "Grenades and Mortars".
thanks, John.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 23
- 6/16/2003 5:29:29 AM   
SkidLid

Thanks for the info!

"I got all eternity to to do everything
you want me to do
So there's no rush"

- Jack Kerouac

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 24
- 6/23/2003 10:31:46 AM   
Irinami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arethusa
[B]That's 'cause I'm a new member and after reading all the newest posts, I've started at the oldest I can find and gradually reading through all of them. So even these are old to you, I've never seen them before.[/B][/QUOTE]

I did that too when I started... though now that I know a bit more, I should probably sit down and do it again. I love it when people dig these up. New insights help, as does bringing old topics that answer common questions. ^^

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 25
Re: Belly hits - 6/27/2003 9:21:51 PM   
Sentry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graccus
[B]I've read accounts of P-51's and P-47's bouncing .50 cal rounds off of the paved or concrete roads into the bellys of German tanks to knock them out.

Wow.......there were **** good pilots during WWII then.I shouöd try to use this trick for IL-2 Sturmovik :D

War has always been and always WILL be.It`s in human`s nature....

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 26
- 6/27/2003 9:43:15 PM   
Voriax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkidLid
[B]Do you have any links on those compressed-air artillery pieces?They sound interesting! [/B][/QUOTE]

Zalinski dynamite gun:
http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs1/dynamite.shtml

Sims-Dudley:
http://www.spanamwar.com/dynamite.htm

Enjoy

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 27
- 7/3/2003 4:04:13 PM   
Guerra

This mortar thing, 81 mm hitting bottom armor of tank, seems pretty wierd.. Mortar rounds angle when hitting ground is almost perpendicular compared to land level, this makes theory of bouncing granade pointless.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 28
- 7/3/2003 4:38:40 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guerra
[B]This mortar thing, 81 mm hitting bottom armor of tank, seems pretty wierd.. Mortar rounds angle when hitting ground is almost perpendicular compared to land level, this makes theory of bouncing granade pointless. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep. It's more a feature of the SP:WAW engine. ;)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 29
- 7/3/2003 5:03:02 PM   
Losqualo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]Yep. It's more a feature of the SP:WAW engine. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Wouldn't SPWAW be soooo boring if it would behave like the real world :rolleyes: ?

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Penetration of 37mm AT gun Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI