Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Movement Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Movement Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movement Question - 12/12/2018 1:47:41 PM   
Yogi the Great

I have a feeling I'm missing something easy but thought I would ask anyway. Just got the game on the Holiday sale after thinking for several years of doing so.

Anyway playing for the first time and having the problem that units just won't be able to move. Initiative? Movement points? Enemy in area? Inexperienced units? Poor Commander?

Manual in part reads: Units cannot enter a region unless they have sufficient movement points remaining. The only exception is that during the regular movement phase only, you are guaranteed to be able to move at least one region if you have not moved during the reaction phase and you are moving into a friendly controlled region.

Anyway while the unit will allow move into am area somewhere it won't allow adjoining into enemy areas or even sometimes friendly areas. The only reason given when you hover over it is unable to make move with no explanation of why. Even to an adjoining area not crossing any river. Kind of hard to do an offensive when you can't even move. Also interesting is it allows a single general with no troops attached to move in, but no other troops with generals are allowed to follow.

So I just can't seem to figure it out and if it stays that way as the game goes on I don't see how the game can work but I know there is an answer out there.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Post #: 1
RE: Movement Question - 1/12/2019 10:40:31 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

weird, no one of your units move ?

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 2
RE: Movement Question - 1/12/2019 11:21:25 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

weird, no one of your units move ?

No it's only some units that can't move even one region. Can't figure out why, perhaps it could be in that "The only exception is that during the regular movement phase only, you are guaranteed to be able to move at least one region if you have not moved during the reaction phase" I can't say I've noticed them moving in the reaction phase but maybe I'm missing something.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 3
RE: Movement Question - 2/15/2019 3:45:58 PM   
DTX111

Hi Yogi,
It's hard to diagnose your problem. If you are just getting into the game, consider making it really easy, i.e., in addition to selecting "easy" as the difficulty, you can type in numbers to make it even easier.

I used this approach because I initially had trouble getting into the game. Playing a game which is intentionally very easy will give you a chance to learn all of the mechanics. Also, I recommend using the suggested 1st turn moves that was posted elsewhere in this forum (I forget exactly where).

Post #: 4
RE: Movement Question - 2/17/2019 8:49:18 PM   
avgard

First of all, have you downloaded the most current patch before you attempt to play. If not, that could be causing you problems. As far as movement goes, if you are unable to move into an area it may be the terrain. If the troops do not have initiative then movement is more limited. The tutorials are good. Do the one on movement. This is a great game but complex. Weather is a contributor too. In the winter, movement and supply are more limited. Larger rivers need transport to cross. Periodically I am involved in a battle and have troops next door but they cannot reinforce because of the terrain. Go through all the tutorials if you are a new player.

Post #: 5
RE: Movement Question - 2/19/2019 8:28:27 PM   
DTX111

Go thru the tutorials and the videos. Initially, I did just the tutorials and I didn't realize how valuable the videos would be. So when avgard says "all", it includes the videos. (They work on Windows 10, but I needed to start them from the game directory, not the game's menu).

(in reply to avgard)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Movement Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI