Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Who Uses Trucks?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Who Uses Trucks? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who Uses Trucks? - 12/21/2013 12:44:20 AM   
CGGrognard

It's been a while since Panthers in the Fog has been released and for me, the battles, campaigns and multiplayer battles have been great. But with Panthers in the Fog, we've been given the opportunity to include trucks and jeeps in our battle groups.
With the maps being mostly larger, getting troops to victory locations takes quite a bit of time, especially on foot. On the other hand, using transports covers the distance faster, but they're very vulnerable to enemy fire. Not to mention, transports take up a slot that could be used for a support team, or even a tank.
That leaves the question to my fellow CC gamers; who uses transports in their battles?

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/23/2013 6:41:21 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

They're good in a meeting engagement where you need to grab land quickly. I tried to use them to tow a AT gun but it was too fiddly and time consuming to do, especially during a battle.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 2
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/23/2013 5:18:24 PM   
TIK

Personally, I can't justify their use. I've seen others use them in multiplayer, but only in battles where one side has a major advantage anyway. They're a luxury imho.

But if tank-desant was allowed, I'd use that all the time! My infantry get fatigued far too quickly

I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 3
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/23/2013 8:07:31 PM   
CGGrognard

I guess you could use a couple to quickly capture victory locations, or as bait for tanks but they have little use IMHO. On the other hand, I haven't made the attempt to load a small squad in a German half track.

(in reply to TIK)
Post #: 4
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/23/2013 10:12:55 PM   
Tejszd

Tend to not use trucks. If I do take a truck it is one and I tend to use it to move a gun forward.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 5
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/23/2013 11:54:03 PM   
CGGrognard

Yeah I tried moving guns around but found that by the time I got them into position, the battle was almost over. Of course I could increase the time limit..

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 6
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/25/2013 6:17:30 PM   
Pvt_Grunt

Half tracks are better than trucks for transporting infantry. Better armour and a weapon.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 7
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/26/2013 5:01:37 PM   
CGGrognard

Perhaps a fun project in multiplayer would be to make a jeep or kublewagon immortal (see latest TIK video on YT) to enemy fire and have the ability to carry a whole squad.

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 8
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/29/2013 7:51:50 PM   
STIENER

dont use trucks or jeeps....sometimes use a h/t. dont tow guns.waste of time.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 9
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/31/2013 11:09:11 AM   
TIK

quote:

ORIGINAL: CGGrognard

Perhaps a fun project in multiplayer would be to make a jeep or kublewagon immortal (see latest TIK video on YT) to enemy fire and have the ability to carry a whole squad.

Oh god no! Don't encourage them! Immortal Panthers was bad enough. Immortal trucks would be UNSTOPPABLE

I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 10
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 12/31/2013 11:23:02 PM   
STIENER

"Immortal Panthers was bad enough." LOL ..ya i agree........the panthers are stupid in this game. kinda wrecked it for me an my regular opponants. i think i lost 2 panthers in the whole GC. nothing can stop them if you shoot at them at the front, and if your smart you dont let the shermans out flank you......so.....unstoppable.
yes the panther tank was the best tank of WW 2, and for good reason, but no one seems to listen when you say...the games have to be playable too.

(in reply to TIK)
Post #: 11
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 1/1/2014 3:57:28 PM   
CGGrognard

Agree, half tracks are a better use of a force support slot. However, the question is how to handle dismount? Troops will automatically dismount when the half track comes under attack. I don't recall a command available that directs troops to dismount once the destination has been reached, or a certain way point. Some initiative on the half tracks' part is needed so when it does reach its destination, it makes the appropriate decision of what to do with the passengers.

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 12
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 1/2/2014 9:02:44 AM   
TIK

quote:

ORIGINAL: STIENER

"Immortal Panthers was bad enough." LOL ..ya i agree........the panthers are stupid in this game. kinda wrecked it for me an my regular opponants. i think i lost 2 panthers in the whole GC. nothing can stop them if you shoot at them at the front, and if your smart you dont let the shermans out flank you......so.....unstoppable.
yes the panther tank was the best tank of WW 2, and for good reason, but no one seems to listen when you say...the games have to be playable too.

I agree. They shouldn't be impossible to take them out from the front. It should be hard, but not impossible.

However, we were refering to a guy who modded his files to make the Panthers immortal. He then hosted a game with me online - telling me I wasn't as good as him because I couldn't do a thing to stop him. Here's the link to the video.

On the subject of trucks, if we got a free truck or two in each battle in addition to the usual units, they would be useful. It's only because they take up a valuable unit slot that they're not efficient.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 13
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 1/2/2014 9:53:49 PM   
CGGrognard

Great idea TIK! Having "free" trucks that don't take force slots would be an excellent way to address the use of trucks. Maybe limit the transports to non- combatant types and depending go the type of battle ( I.e. Meeting engagements). Especially for support teams which could always use motor transport because of their equipment.

CGGrognard

(in reply to TIK)
Post #: 14
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 1/5/2014 1:24:39 AM   
Saturnian

In bocage country the trucks aren't much quicker than infantry and are more vulnerable. The only justification is that infantry does not get tired when riding in a truck. But I'd much rather have an extra support unit than a truck. It is a shame, though, because they can come in handy moving the artillery around, something that has always been a problem in the past.

I like the concept of trucks but as the other guys were saying I think that they shouldn't take crucial space out of our battle pool. It isn't a combat unit in the first place.

It would be cool if they carried weapons and ammunition, especially for mortars and AT guns. But that may be asking too much.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 15
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 4/29/2014 7:14:08 PM   
vobbnobb

Half-Tracks or regular trucks are a huge target on an open road or open field and have cardboard thin or less of armor, but move them along hedgerows, follow streams or under tree shadows and they are difficult to see and hit. Like tanks the faster they move the more diesel plume they put out move it slow or sneak it.

As for the panthers I don't think they are that good or hard to take out, when I was first playing I thought they were but not now. There are different strategies you can take them out so easily and what ww2 m4 sherman tankers had to do partly because they could out maneuver the heavier panther and tiger tanks.

< Message edited by vobbnobb -- 4/29/2014 8:30:16 PM >

(in reply to Saturnian)
Post #: 16
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 4/29/2014 9:24:42 PM   
STIENER

vobbnobb.....are you playing the EI or H2H against those panthers?

(in reply to vobbnobb)
Post #: 17
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 5/4/2014 11:12:18 PM   
vobbnobb

What does the acronym EI stand for? If you mean AI, yes I'm playing AI.

< Message edited by vobbnobb -- 5/5/2014 12:12:38 AM >

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 18
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 5/4/2014 11:52:49 PM   
STIENER

sorry..meant AI
it is easier to take the panthers out playing the AI. the AI is kinda dumb....its allot harder playing H2H to take the cats outs. a human opponent usually will not let you get the side shots if he's worth his salt and in my experience the germans usually have more than 1 cat in the battle, so they cover each other.
H2H is the way to go in CC....the game takes on a whole new dimension

(in reply to vobbnobb)
Post #: 19
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM   
vobbnobb

^ If you have the right equipment hidden for the job it's cake.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 20
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 5/7/2014 7:50:41 PM   
vobbnobb

Rolling hedgerows down with the hedge roller on Half-Tracks for tanks like sherman who seem to get immobilized in them, or using the HTs to clear hedgerows for troops so they won't be as winded moving to places.

< Message edited by vobbnobb -- 5/7/2014 8:50:52 PM >

(in reply to vobbnobb)
Post #: 21
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 6/1/2014 8:25:29 PM   
Troger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TIK
On the subject of trucks, if we got a free truck or two in each battle in addition to the usual units, they would be useful. It's only because they take up a valuable unit slot that they're not efficient.

This would be ideal. Two or three extra slots strictly reserved for transport vehicles. I don't often use trucks but I have picked up half-tracks primarily for the intent of transport, and secondly for their light combat capabilities. I do find the mount/dismount feature useful.

< Message edited by Troger -- 6/1/2014 9:27:40 PM >

(in reply to TIK)
Post #: 22
RE: Who Uses Trucks? - 1/8/2019 4:41:54 PM   
Kanov

The maps are too big now so a halftrack or two are necessary but not at the expense of a valuable unit slot. So I agree with everyone here, specially Troger and TIK in that a couple of slots where you can only choose trucks/cars or transport halftracks would be ideal.

Or you could go an extra step and have a couple of free slots on each of the first two platoons that automatically fill with whatever organic support vehicle/weapon that the platoon have. Like if its a panzergrenadier(gp) it would fill those freeslots with the halftracks it has organic to that specific platoon.

Hard-core Spectre

(in reply to Troger)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Who Uses Trucks? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI