Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Games with Online Play, not PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Games with Online Play, not PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 12/8/2018 10:11:49 PM   
mlcarter815

A friend and I are looking for a new game to play that has online play. We don't want to do PBEM. We'd rather set it up where one of us is hosting and it's live play. I know there are same games in the Matrix catalog that support that, but I'm having a hard time determining which games do. The product pages all state whether the game has AI and whether it supports PBEM, but there isn't anywhere that says if it support live online play.

We're not picky about the era. WWII is best since Battlefield V is giving us the itch for that era, but I'm interested in any era. Does anyone have any recommendations for good games to look at?
Post #: 1
RE: Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 12/9/2018 1:12:55 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlcarter815

We're not picky about the era. WWII is best since Battlefield V is giving us the itch for that era, but I'm interested in any era. Does anyone have any recommendations for good games to look at?

I do little in way of war game multiplayer, so I don't know for certain what games have what MP modes. But I'm fairly sure BattleTech video game has what you're looking for. Tactical scale mecha action based on classic (analog) war game since 1985. In addition of that, in single player campaign player lead and command a mercenary force, collect pay, pay expenses, salvage and buy equipment, repair broken 'Mechs, and more. Fun stuff and I'm hooked.

[edit]
Game play video

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 12/9/2018 1:15:40 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to mlcarter815)
Post #: 2
RE: Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 12/9/2018 6:15:59 PM   
MrsWargamer

I might be mistaking your request's parameters, but, it appears your answer will need to be in the realm of multi player online games such as World of Tanks, or the more predictable titles like Call of Duty and all the others like them. If you want it 'live'.

It appears you are not looking for 'real time'.

There are quite a few of the above online type titles out there, and some have been around long enough that they are likely cheap to obtain now. But then, some wargamers are young and simply weren't around when the games first arrived.

Do you wish to be controlling an individual, or an organized force?

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3
RE: Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 12/9/2018 7:11:22 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I might be mistaking your request's parameters

Yes, you are mistaken. He isn't looking for first person shooters nor simulations but turn-based war games which have more multiplayer options besides PBEM. BattleTech fits the bill and XCOM: Enemy Unknown & DLC & sequels is another.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 12/9/2018 8:11:21 PM   
Major_Mess

Here I am again!!!

SPWaW has a online function, I know there were a bunch of folks in the day that played it that way.
I have never tried it, but it is supposed to be a blast.

cheers

MM

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
RE: Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 1/9/2019 9:31:37 PM   
mlcarter815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I might be mistaking your request's parameters

Yes, you are mistaken. He isn't looking for first person shooters nor simulations but turn-based war games which have more multiplayer options besides PBEM. BattleTech fits the bill and XCOM: Enemy Unknown & DLC & sequels is another.

This exactly. I already have XCOM and I've seen some of BattleTech. I was hoping for something more historical focused. I'd prefer turn-based or WEGO, but we might end up just playing one of the Paradox grand strategy games.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: Games with Online Play, not PBEM - 1/9/2019 9:40:56 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

A few of our PBEM games allow you to stay online during the turn (HoN is one that comes to mind) which might meet your criteria. You can also play paired games on some PBEM games where you are always playing (or most of the time). But I appreciate some want to be connected and watching the turn.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to mlcarter815)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Games with Online Play, not PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI